What if I use an NFA weapon for self defense?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: What if I use an NFA weapon for self defense?

Post by TROOPER »

O2HeN2 wrote:So there's an interesting question raised here.

Since distance of engagement is commonly determined by powder stippling evdence, I wonder how a supressor would jack up the results if you were NOT to tell anyone you used one.

I assume (dangerous word, I know) that a supressor would drastically reduce stippling residue. So if you were to engage someone at 1 yard, it SHOULD leave (for example) a small, intense area of stippling. But if a supressor was used there would hardly be any. Making it appear as if the engagement distance was much, much more.

Meaning you could really screw yoiurself over if you were to hide the fact that you used a supressor.

This is all guesses, anyone have any real information in this area?

Though I think the bottom line still is: Don't supress evidence.

O2
Old reply, I know, but in a home-defense situation, if you shoot someone with a suppressed weapon inside your home, the lack of stippling isn't going to amount to anything. Could an over-zealous prosecutor claim that you .... what? Shot the dude from 25 yards away while inside your house? Not even clear how that would pan out. Like did you shoot the guy while he was in the house, but you had a window open and shot him while you were several properties away? Or perhaps yourself were in the house, but you shot him while he was several houses down and then you dragged his bleeding, dying body into your foyer?

You're overthinking it. Get a lawyer, disclose everything to the lawyer. If you're tried for this event, it won't be because you did or didn't use a silencer.
hammerdown12

Post by hammerdown12 »

Interesting thread. While I agree certain weapons will look bad if used in self defense (ie: full auto could be considered overkill by some, an AK is an evil commy weapon, etc, etc, etc.) I think SBS, SBRs and silencers are easily explainable to a jury.

Silencer is to protect your hearing, to control muzzle blast to make sure you do not get disoriented by firing an unsuppressed weapon indoors during self defense, etc.

SBRs / SBS can be easily explained that they make the weapon much easier to maneuver indoors, especially if one wants to use a suppressor.

All that said, I don't trust our prosecutors, judges, and juries these days as so many people are anti gun.

I won't hesitate to grab my suppressed SBR AR15, my suppressored CZ scorpion SBR, or even...aaakk! ... My suppressed and sig braced M92 PAP AK...Which is sure to get the anti gunners chanting "hang him high" if those are what I have available and my life or my familys life is in danger. Best judged by 12 than carted to the grave by 6.

However, arguably the two most widely accepted (even by most anti gunners) guns are the trusty shottie and the 9mm pistol. Therefore, I keep 2 12 guage 18 inch shotguns loaded with 00 buck in strategic locations at the house as well as 4 different unsupressed run of the mill reliable 9mm pistols. A Shield 9mm is also my EDC.

I don't want my jury hung up on what gun I used. It's sad our society labels like they do, but that's how it is unfortunately. I don't want the guy who is on the fence about acquitting me to be swayed the other way because he buys into the "evil assault weapon" BS.

Now me, if I'm on your jury I'll vote to acquit, I don't care if you hit the perp with a bazooka as long as it was a good justified shoot. What tool you used to defend yourself is irrelevant to me.
hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

Post by hbk80rice »

If the NFA weapons are legal, then legally under the law you are one hundred percent fine. Where you will run into trouble is the opposing attorney will make you look like you are someone who was out for blood and used excessive force, that is if you were using a full auto weapon. If you were using a silencer on your weapon it shouldn't be a problem because your attorney should say you were using it to protect your other family members ears in the case of an emergency and that might actually work in your favor to show how you were protecting not only your family's lives but also looking out for all of their body parts, i.e. their ears.
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

srs wrote:Holy thread resurrection Batman! This was 2 years ago.

Great comments everyone, thank you.
The thread that just won't die.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895