M11 mags zytel or steel

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

M11 mags zytel or steel

Post by gunningbadger »

I'm eagerly awaiting my newly purchased m11 and want to stock up on things like a new slow fire upper and mags while I wait. Would you all recommend the plastic zytel mags or the steel usmachinegun metal conversions? Or something else.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Re: M11 mags zytel or steel

Post by Tony M. »

Z-mags.

Or at least, that's what all the cool kids are using.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Z mags are ok for short term if your willing to fix them and tinker. I went will all steel south African mags. I put about a 30 degree shoulder cut on the catch area. Polished all working surfaces and cut back the feed lips. These are just enhancements not all are necessary. Those mags just don't fail at all. Down side is expense and weight. Along time ago a gun outlet had them for sale at 5$ a mag I bought 200 and never will need another mag. But I see them from 20-50$ if you can find them.

I think there are some upgrades to the Zmags nowadays. But all 10 that I have are broken and warn down and useless.
MattMan

Post by MattMan »

I bought a bunch of zytels when they were selling new for $8 a couple years back. I only use ten or so at a time and if one did start to fail I tossed it or scavenged the components for the parts bin. Still use my PAM mags every now then to keep them alive I bought so many mags when I first got my gun four years ago my stash is still pretty good. I don't get to shoot as much as I would like no where to go shoot FA. Still have most the plastics left they have been worth the money. If you can pick any of the mags up cheap and they are new(ish) I wouldn't pass them up. Haven't had to buy any of the Zmags yet. If I needed mags that is what I would buy today.

Also probably goes with out saying but I don't keep the magazines loaded unless I'm going to the range the in the next couple of days. I have heard differing views from gunsmiths, metallurgists, active duty as to what wears out a mag more quickly, I.E. Being loaded for an extended period of time or frequent use. No one seems to agree, so I error on the side of caution and leave them unloaded.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

m40a1308m, you can't be talking about the Shockwave ZMAG...There is no "tinkering" with these. They are new high quality steel mags made for the M11. As far as I'm concerned there is no other choice when you want the best mag available for the M11. Conversions don't come close.
lcambre

Post by lcambre »

Shockwave technologies ZMAG. All steel and fit and function has been great in my gun.
KingTiger
Silent But Deadly

Post by KingTiger »

I thought you guys were talking about the Zytel (plastic) mags too.

I did the modifications to the PAM2 mags like mentioned.

I'm not sure which rock I've been under, but I didn't know the Shockwave Technologies Z-MAG existed. :oops:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, now I'll have to order some. Having a mag stop finally, will be a good thing.
Controlled Cacophony
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

Awesome! I ordered a bunch of the shockwave mags. Can't wait to test them out.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Sorry, I could have been clearer, I meant the shockwave Z-Mags, not Zytels.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

ZMAG fit and fire great on my M11/9 sub gun.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Shockwave Z-mags for the win. Beautiful fit and function.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I was referring to ZYTEL mags. The ZMAGs look nice and I might give one a try.