A question about moving firearms in a Trust

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

srs
Silent Operator

A question about moving firearms in a Trust

Post by srs »

Assume I have a valid NFA trust that contains both NFA and non-NFA firearms and related items. Further; co-trustees reside in multiple states, all of which allow possession of all items in the trust. No trustees are prohibited persons.

I understand that many, but not all, of the NFA items require an approved 5320.20 prior to transport. Assume this approval has already happened.

How do you legally transport these firearms between trustees? If shipped, must they go thru a FFL? How would this work with the NFA items, since ownership is not transferred? Do I have to drive or fly to the trustee to transport them, or the trustee come to me?

Thanks,
Steve
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: A question about moving firearms in a Trust

Post by Bendersquint »

srs wrote:Assume I have a valid NFA trust that contains both NFA and non-NFA firearms and related items. Further; co-trustees reside in multiple states, all of which allow possession of all items in the trust. No trustees are prohibited persons.

I understand that many, but not all, of the NFA items require an approved 5320.20 prior to transport. Assume this approval has already happened.

How do you legally transport these firearms between trustees? If shipped, must they go thru a FFL? How would this work with the NFA items, since ownership is not transferred? Do I have to drive or fly to the trustee to transport them, or the trustee come to me?

Thanks,
Steve
Shipped via common carrier that allows said weapons.

NO FFL required as there is no transfer of ownership.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

Bendersquint wrote:Shipped via common carrier that allows said weapons.
Is there a list somewhere of which carriers will ship between TX, AL, and VA by firearm type?

As of 5 Jan, 2015, FedEx requires a FFL at one or both ends. http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulesta ... icles.html

UPS won't accept silencers or machine guns and requires FFL at one or both ends for everything else. http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... earms.html

USPS apparently only allows long guns, so no handguns, silencers, SBR, SBS, AOW. http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

SRS, I've always used UPS without any issues. That section you reference, (as I interpret it) relates to International shipping, unless something has changed recently that I'm not aware of. I'll call them tomorrow to confirm.
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment. Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. UPS Returns® Services are not available for packages containing firearms.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bugzy wrote:SRS, I've always used UPS without any issues. That section you reference, (as I interpret it) relates to International shipping, unless something has changed recently that I'm not aware of. I'll call them tomorrow to confirm.
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment. Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. UPS Returns® Services are not available for packages containing firearms.
It applies to US shipments as well.
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

Matt,

We haven't had a problem with them. Who do you use?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bugzy wrote:Matt,

We haven't had a problem with them. Who do you use?
We rarely deal with MG's.

The "problem" comes if there is a claim, they will NOT pay out on any form of claim that involves shipments that violate their policies.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

Well crap.

I guess I'm flying or driving. It is 24 hours driving straight thru from Richmond to Dallas, but at least I don't get the TSA "handjob".

I wish there was a common carrier I could use. I'm not comfortable shipping outside of their policy.

-Steve
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

srs wrote:Well crap.
I wish there was a common carrier I could use. I'm not comfortable shipping outside of their policy.

-Steve
I just spoke with our UPS sales Rep. and found out that we have never shipped a Machine Gun individual-Individual based on the shipping records. They have all been Manufacturer-Individual or Manufacturer-Manufacturer.

My apologies Steve.
1911rocks

Post by 1911rocks »

FedEx overnight individual to individual.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

1911rocks wrote:FedEx overnight individual to individual.
Check the new FedEx rules. As of 5 January, 2015 - nope.
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

The USPS prohibition on handguns applies only to individuals. FFL's can still send them no problem.

Also, USPS used to not prohibit machine guns being sent by individuals. I don't, however, know if that has changed in the last year or so.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

sillycon wrote:The USPS prohibition on handguns applies only to individuals. FFL's can still send them no problem.

Also, USPS used to not prohibit machine guns being sent by individuals. I don't, however, know if that has changed in the last year or so.
MG's are still prohibited for shipment by minions, er civilians.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

I have been unable to find a common carrier that allows me to ship what I want without an FFL being on one or both ends. I guess that means I fly or drive, or I have to get an FFL.

Will the Curio & Relic FFL be good enough?

If not, since ATF has decided that taking a beer from a friend for letting him use my small CNC to finish an 80% lower makes me a manufacturer, will they then grant me a FFL? Or do they still require that the FFL derive an income from the license? Seems to me they want it both ways, but that isn't new to the ATF now is it?

Thanks,
Steve
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

srs wrote:I have been unable to find a common carrier that allows me to ship what I want without an FFL being on one or both ends. I guess that means I fly or drive, or I have to get an FFL.

Will the Curio & Relic FFL be good enough?

If not, since ATF has decided that taking a beer from a friend for letting him use my small CNC to finish an 80% lower makes me a manufacturer, will they then grant me a FFL? Or do they still require that the FFL derive an income from the license? Seems to me they want it both ways, but that isn't new to the ATF now is it?

Thanks,
Steve
No, an C&R FFL does not afford you ANY of the privileges of an real FFL.....C&R is a collectors license and nothing more.

If you get a real FFL you have to be operating as a business. Alot of hassle just so you don't have to go to your local FFL to ship something.