Trust rule change question

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Trust rule change question

Post by jlwilliams »

I have heard about a proposed rule change that would require trusts to get CLEO sign offs. Has that happened?
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trust rule change question

Post by propeine »

jlwilliams wrote:I have heard about a proposed rule change that would require trusts to get CLEO sign offs. Has that happened?
41P is what you're referring to and no it has not yet but the comment period is over.
Dlob

Post by Dlob »

If I recall, the next time 41P would be expected to come out would be in May this year, though it could easily be punted another 6 months (like has happened 3 or 4 times already).
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Dlob wrote:If I recall, the next time 41P would be expected to come out would be in May this year, though it could easily be punted another 6 months (like has happened 3 or 4 times already).
Yeah hopefully it will get punted for a few years.
birdengineer

Post by birdengineer »

I certainly hope it will get punted again, I don't have the money for multiple can purchases and stamp purchases before May/June. ;)
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

As proposed, every Responsible Person (i.e., anyone who can touch the NFA items in your trust) would have to get fingerprinted and CLEO signature = but that is likely for only FUTURE purchases.

Lots of issues. Are prior purchases exempt? They would almost certainly have to be. What about future responsible persons (ones not even born yet?) as outlined in a succession planning portion of a trust (the Resulting Beneficiaries)?

Gun ranges that own NFA as an LLC whose "responsible persons" include the general public (while on the facility), do they need everyone in town fingerprinted to get new NFA items?

I've heard of some trust having as many as 8 "friends" on the trust as trustees...bad idea. It's legal, but I hope not too many machine guns are in trust now. There are a lot of bad idea trusts out there and as the mechanics of the current grantor dies, and succession happens, I ofter wonder how many of these trust, or rather, how many MGs will be in la-la land contraband and have to be returned to the BATFE.
tootall

Post by tootall »

OT, my son is my successor trustee... so when I get run over by the life bus, he is still golden... and with NFA things.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

tootall wrote:OT, my son is my successor trustee... so when I get run over by the life bus, he is still golden... and with NFA things.
Don't need a trust to accomplish the same thing, he's an heir. He would get them anyway.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

The ATF said that they would respond to all valid comments on the 41P. Has anyone received a reply from the ATF for their comment? I am still waiting for a reply.
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

Kramer wrote:Has anyone received a reply from the ATF for their comment?
Not moi.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Maybe off topic but just because someone is an heir doesn't mean they are able to take possession, right? I thought if they weren't on the Trust they would have to reapply for your item and the items would have to go to a dealer until they get the stamp, if it hasn't been issued in a certain amount of time but if they are on the trust they just take possession because they inherit the trust. I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking but that's how it was explained by my lawyer.
BTW, I went to a Lawyer to get mine who has written trusts for most of the class 3 community in the state. I didnt go to a website to get a maybe valid trust.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Form 5s are processed pretty fast, and there is a grace period. A dealer couldn't take possession without a F4 to them.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

FWIW, I heard from an Austin Sheriff deputy, that the comments the ATF was paying most attention to were from Sheriff's and CLEOs and from what the deputy said- echoing his superior- there was no way the new trust rules would pass. There are simply too many people with NFA items and the chiefs said that they don't want to waste their time on the flood of people that will come in for the trusts. He said that many other sheriffs were echoing what his superior stated. It's a worthless rule that will bog down legit law enforcement. I guess the people bugging the sheriff were some pretty wealthy donors too, because he said that the words got ugly, like, "Do you know who I am and how much money I make? I'm not going to be fingerprinted like a common criminal," ugly.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

From what I read from ASA the CLEO sign off is going away and the Trust issue will be a thing of the past because thats why most people use a Trust anyway, The fingerprint thing is a small issue in the digital age, digital fingerprints are just as identifiable and easier to track from afar for LEO's at least on the Federal level (My Experience)
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!