Thinking about getting licensed for NFA firearms

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ajridgedell

Thinking about getting licensed for NFA firearms

Post by ajridgedell »

Just posted a different question in silencersmithing section but I think this question fits here... I am licensed as type 7 FFL; if I pay the 500$ a year (i think) to be manufacturer of NFA firearms is it possible to save myself money on stamps if I manufacture say 4 and transfer them to LLC or how does that work if I don't renew and I want them to stay in the LLC name. With an FFL I can just transfer firearms to personal collection with no 4473 and all that.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Thinking about getting licensed for NFA firearms

Post by Bendersquint »

ajridgedell wrote:Just posted a different question in silencersmithing section but I think this question fits here... I am licensed as type 7 FFL; if I pay the 500$ a year (i think) to be manufacturer of NFA firearms is it possible to save myself money on stamps if I manufacture say 4 and transfer them to LLC or how does that work if I don't renew and I want them to stay in the LLC name. With an FFL I can just transfer firearms to personal collection with no 4473 and all that.
You can not avoid the transfer taxes on NFA items.
ajridgedell

Post by ajridgedell »

When a manufacturer of NFA firearms manufactures a firearm (silencer in this case) and keeps it in their inventory or as dealer sample do they pay for a tax stamp or only the transferee (if that's a word) upon purchase or transfer?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ajridgedell wrote:When a manufacturer of NFA firearms manufactures a firearm (silencer in this case) and keeps it in their inventory or as dealer sample do they pay for a tax stamp or only the transferee (if that's a word) upon purchase or transfer?
Only when its transferred out of their inventory is tax due.

To another SOT is covered by the SOT's tax stamp.

To an individual/entity/company etc... $200 per transfer.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

If your license is a LLC, corporation you can't just retain the inventory as a person. A transfer must be involved.

If you are paying your SOT to avoid paying taxes, then you are doing it for the wrong reason.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
UpTheHill

Post by UpTheHill »

David Hineline wrote:If your license is a LLC, corporation you can't just retain the inventory as a person. A transfer must be involved.
if you are keeping the LLC just not renewing the SOT, then the LLC can remain the owner of the NFA item on the form 3 that was used to send it to you. if you disolve the LLC then you must have it transfered to you on a form 4.
If you are paying your SOT to avoid paying taxes, then you are doing it for the wrong reason.
exactly, you might save on the $200 tax stamp, but you'll have to pay the annual fee to renew your LLC forever
ajridgedell

Post by ajridgedell »

UpTheHill wrote:
David Hineline wrote:If your license is a LLC, corporation you can't just retain the inventory as a person. A transfer must be involved.
if you are keeping the LLC just not renewing the SOT, then the LLC can remain the owner of the NFA item on the form 3 that was used to send it to you. if you disolve the LLC then you must have it transfered to you on a form 4.
exactly, you might save on the $200 tax stamp, but you'll have to pay the annual fee to renew your LLC forever

I see, Thanks for the input. I'm gunna hold off on the SOT till I know I have enough customers interested in such items. It definitely wouldn't be something I would want to just do for year just to avoid paying 200$ stamps then not renewing, but I was curious how it all worked.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Get it. Stock items deep and laugh on way to bank every week.
ajridgedell

Post by ajridgedell »

Yeah, I got my hands full with my business as it is. On the verge of needing to hire so I need to get my primary business squared away before I start playing with anything else right now.