Out of state gunsmith/SOT required to make my SBR?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

RJT
Silent But Deadly

Out of state gunsmith/SOT required to make my SBR?

Post by RJT »

When I send my rifle(bolt action) out to be cut, crowned, and threaded, does it require a FFL/SOT, or can an 01 do it? When the rifle leaves me, the bbl will be at 18.5", and return 10.5". Are there any forms I'm required to fill out? I've searched, and searched, but can't find an answer. The smith I use to thread my non NFA firearms is out of state, and I would really like to keep using him. My engraver is in state, and has an 02/07, so I'm not worried about that part of the process.

ETA: I would be sending a barreled action.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Out of state gunsmith/SOT required to make my SBR?

Post by sillycon »

There are subtle distinctions here which must be noted. While you do NOT need to hold an SOT in order to do gunsmithing work on an *EXISTING* NFA item, or to simply cut/crown/thread a barrel for an NFA firearm someone else is going to make, what you describe is the actual MAKING of an NFA item since he will be receiving an assembled title 1 firearm, disassembling it, doing the barrel work, and assembling what is now a SBR.

In order to send him the barreled action, he will need an 07/02. He will then do the work and file the form 2 for notice of manufacture (and mark the rifle with his information), and then file a form 3 to transfer it back to your chosen NFA dealer in your state who will then do a form 4 back to you.

If you've already got a F1 in hand, then I suggest you remove/reinstall the barrel yourself, and send only the barrel to him for the necessary gunsmithing work. Have the engraving done on your receiver BEFORE you get back the barrel from your gunsmith.

This is per my ATF inspector (I am a licensed 07).
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

sillycon wrote: If you've already got a F1 in hand, then I suggest you remove/reinstall the barrel yourself, and send only the barrel to him for the necessary gunsmithing work. Have the engraving done on your receiver BEFORE you get back the barrel from your gunsmith.

This is per my ATF inspector (I am a licensed 07).
Or have him engrave the BBL, as it is not likely there will be a lot of swapping going on.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

So all I have to do, is make it a SBR, then my 01 can thread it, as I manufactured it, and he is just doing repairs/work to an existing NFA item.
Or pull the barrel, and send it separately. Seems simple enough.

Thanks. :D
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Sounds like you need to take a hacksaw to the barrel at about 12" then send it to your 01 smith. You manufactured the SBR, hes just fixing your hacksaw job. Problem solved.
There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

McLarenross wrote:Sounds like you need to take a hacksaw to the barrel at about 12" then send it to your 01 smith. You manufactured the SBR, hes just fixing your hacksaw job. Problem solved.

I was going to use a band saw. :lol: :lol: :lol:
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

RJT wrote:
McLarenross wrote:Sounds like you need to take a hacksaw to the barrel at about 12" then send it to your 01 smith. You manufactured the SBR, hes just fixing your hacksaw job. Problem solved.

I was going to use a band saw. :lol: :lol: :lol:
All kidding aside, if you got a properly square cut with the band-saw you can recrown the barrel using polishing compound and a brass screw (this method was often taught in gun-smithing schools before the advent/proliferation of lathes and CNC's). I'd do that first and see how it shoots for the satisfaction of "DIY". If you don't like the way it shoots, you can always have your smith re-crown the barrel when you send it all in for threading.

But that's just the "built it myself" in me talking...