what goes into the NFA background check?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

what goes into the NFA background check?

Post by mr fixit »

Just curious....What do they look at/into when doing a NFA background check that would be different from the NCIC check when you buy a Remchester Model 110 at Wally World?

I do criminal backgrounds as part of my job. Just wondering what super secret data they have that takes so long to do.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Re: what goes into the NFA background check?

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Biggest difference is the FP check by the FBI against its criminal database and your picture being put through a facial recognition search along with the time it takes for the FBI to get around to doing those things...
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Starting July 1 you have to submit a DNS sample.
jryock

Post by jryock »

66427vette wrote:Starting July 1 you have to submit a DNS sample.
Soon after they will be phasing over to implanted chips in your skull for all weapons.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

*DNA
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

They go to your grade school and look at your Permanent Record.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

jlwilliams wrote:They go to your grade school and look at your Permanent Record.

Good thing I used a trust. :lol:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

mr fixit wrote:Just curious....What do they look at/into when doing a NFA background check that would be different from the NCIC check when you buy a Remchester Model 110 at Wally World?

I do criminal backgrounds as part of my job. Just wondering what super secret data they have that takes so long to do.
From what I've been given to understand (much of which has come from old-timers and the ASAs visit to the NFA branch) it's boils down to not much more than a NICS check other than ensuring forms are filled out correctly, and the item is legal for you to have, (and, if a trust, that your trust is legally constructed). Supposedly, the cumulative time taken for the approval process is something like a 7 minute average -- everything else is simply your form sitting in a queue waiting to get worked.

There are a few threads that flesh out the details of the process, one of them is on UziTalk and I think the other (spawned by the ASA visit a few years ago) is over on ARFCOM.