Notifying ATF about going out of state with MG?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

slackercruster
Silent But Deadly

Notifying ATF about going out of state with MG?

Post by slackercruster »

I understand I have to notify the ATF if I take a MG (but not a silencer) out of state. How long a process is it to get approval from the ATF and what is the best way to do it?

I live right near the state border. If I go to a friends house a couple miles over state line are they that tough about it if it isn't shot?

Thanks
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Re: Notifying ATF about going out of state with MG?

Post by Abiqua »

Fill out and submit Form 5320.20, when you get it back approved you're good to go.

My experience it takes anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month. You can submit the form for a year at a time, such as 01Sept2015 to 31Aug2016, and it will cover any trip during that time period to that state. Each state requires it's own form.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Is that only for the final destination state, or all states passed through in transit as well?
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Final destination, or any state where you will spend time not traveling.

For example, if you are traveling from your home in Florida to your friend's house in South Carolina and not stopping to spend any time in Georgia (except to get gas or other travel related things), then you don't need a form for Georgia.

If you are making the same trip but are going to stop for a day to hang with another friend in Georgia, then you will need a for for Georgia also.
slackercruster
Silent But Deadly

Post by slackercruster »

Thanks.

So stopping overnight at a motel on the way to the final destination must be pre-planned and approved?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

slackercruster wrote: So stopping overnight at a motel on the way to the final destination must be pre-planned and approved?
Correct.