good AR 5.56 upper and lower ..

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

good AR 5.56 upper and lower ..

Post by DKDravis »

Hi!

Now that the "local penpushers/sheriffs" here no longer has the power to decide what semi-auto guns you can get a permit for, I'm looking to buy an AR-15 type Semi-auto carbine in 5.56 --

I do not want one of the "standards" (Colt, DPMS, etc. ) I want something a bit more .. "custom" --

I will probably import most of the parts (Upper, Lower, barrel, etc. ) as separate parts, going along with other stuff for my local gunsmith ( A friend)

Can you give me some suggestions? What are your favorites ?

The gun will of course be used suppressed, and I will probably also buy parts for a complete 300blk upper ..

Suggestions for "state of the arts" trigger groups and mags are also welcome ..

The gun will be used both for hunting and for IPSC style matches .. and training -
DKDravis

"Sapere Aude": Dare to KNOW!
"Do not adjust your mind, there's a fault in reality!"
"When Wrong becomes Right, Resistance becomes our duty!"
Postal code 8541
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: good AR 5.56 upper and lower ..

Post by poikilotrm »

Buy my unfired fancy ass AR10 with 13 unused mags. Failing that , there are a number of high quality, low cost lowers. The ABCD route used to be it, but now there's lots. Stag or Windham lowers are usually reasonably priced. As far as uppers or kits, just go to www.model1sales.com. For what you described as desired, they'll have for a reasonae price.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

Are you in the US or another country?
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

I'm not in the US, but my friend is a gunsmith here, and regularly imports firearms parts from the US .. So he has a permanent export license an also import licence for gun parts.

I will just get his FFL partners in the US to collect all the parts and ship to him when he has a "batch" to ship --

He will assemble and check the basic parts, i will do the rest .. I'm partnering up with him to build some suppressors ...
DKDravis

Postal code 8541
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

c5_nc wrote:Are you in the US or another country?
The US.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

I have a SanTan lower on one build. It is more than a standard lower but fully ambidextrous and and includes those parts, and had extra goodies like a QD socket and big flared magwell for changing out mags quick. AXTS has a similar setup and Lancer has the fared magwel also. I could see going for that. I've grown accustomed to the short throw safety selectors (about $20) worth it for competition where you are required to constantly engage the safety. There are any number of good triggers, I think the CMC 3.5 is the best value, the AR Gold and Apex are a little faster. If having to go through the trouble to import I would go ahead and buy nice stuff you will be happy with.
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

I will definitely go for the "good stuff" even if expensive by US standards, they will probably be a reasonable price compared to the stuff I can buy here.

I would like a billet lower, and ambidextrous "switchgear" since I am almost fully "ambidextrous" myself .. (I can shoot both pistol and rifle with both hands, probably 100% RH 90 % LH .. ) I write Lefthanded, shoot my bows righthanded and I'm right eye dominant .. Kinda' "crosswired" :mrgreen:

Adjustable trigger group and flat top upper is a given .. Heavy Match barrel as well ..
DKDravis

Postal code 8541
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Post by BlogSarge »

I've been happy with Detroit Gun Works and Aero Precision forged and Sun Devil billet receivers.

Get a good trigger (Geissele is what I have, but others are good, too) and good barrel and life will be good.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

http://jprifles.com/

Its pretty tough to beat those guys, PWS would be another good choice. http://primaryweapons.com/store/
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Marsblue

Post by Marsblue »

LWRC rifles are super bad ass. Piston driven and full ambidextrous, but pricey. They're more of a buy it and be done with it gun.

Most of my experience as a dealer has been with AeroPrecision uppers and lowers. They have standard mil-spec lowers for good prices and they also offer short throw safety and fully ambidextrous. They have both standard uppers and ones that are designed for their hand guards only (I think sampson might work as well, but I'm not 100%). I have one built up with their machined in hand guard mount, 10.5" 300 blackout barrel, 1.5" diameter SEG suppressor with the 15" AP MLok handguard that fits over most of the can. Some people don't like how big around it is, but it was perfect for my plan on that upper.

I am a big fan of the Magpul STR stocks. Not really expensive and the extra area feels great on the cheek. Their pistol grips are alright. The Miad version has replaceable backstraps and at the top part by the trigger guard. I prefer the Hogue with individual finger grooves myself, they just seem to fit better through the middle part of my hand better.

I don't have a lot of experience with triggers yet. I just installed a standard Giessele 2 stage on one of the guns in my store and after a quick test, I am very pleased. I've have their SSF trigger installed by the weekend after a trip to the engraver and a little time in my shop modifying that lower.

I am also a fan of the SLR hand guards and adjustable gas blocks. I used one of their ultra light mlok hand guards on a 300 blackout pistol and really liked it. Smaller diameter that fits well in the hand, plus it only has the typical mount on the top towards the front for a sight so it has an awesome smooth feel. I use their gas blocks so that I can run a 300 blackout upper with supersonic and heavy subsonic rounds while using the full weight buffer and full auto bolt carrier with or without a suppressor and have the right amount of gas to cycle.

My favorite optic is the Elcan Spectre DR. New they are like $2500. I got a used one on a rifle I bought a while back and even though it is beat up, it works amazingly well.