Form 1 SBR Questions

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Form 1 SBR Questions

Post by mbogo »

I want to make an SBR (from an AR-15 rifle lower) and specify a 10.5" barrel length and caliber '.30' on the Form 1.

I expect to hold onto that particular upper so I can revert the SBR back to the format listed on the Form 1.

Question #1. I understand that I can install an upper with a barrel longer than 10.5". Can I install an upper with a barrel length shorter than 10.5" without running afoul of BATFE regs/interpretations??

Question #1a. I understand that I can install an upper in a different chambering, e.g., 5.56mm or 9mm; is that correct?

Question #2. I am doing this through my (NFA) trust; as I understand it, I do not have to complete the 'Maker's Certification' ('A maker who is an individual must complete this Section'). Am I correct?

Question #3. The Form 1 refers to caliber, not chambering, so specifying '.30' should suffice (as opposed to 300 AAC Blackout or 300 BLK). Am I correct?

On a related note:

If I SBR a pistol (so I can add a stock), can I convert it back to a pistol by removing the stock and notifying NFA Branch that it is no longer configured as an SBR, or is it a rifle forever after?

Thanks,
mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
RogerRonas

Re: Form 1 SBR Questions

Post by RogerRonas »

When it comes to listing the caliber, here are my findings after a lot of research.
If listed in inches (American) you don't use a dot and it would be ie: 22 or 300 If listed in metric, If the dot is internal ie: 5.56 you use it.
As far as converting back to a pistol, you can convert a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol. But if first built as a rifle, ALWAYS a rifle.

HTH
Roger
MOLON LABE

I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6!
RogerRonas

Post by RogerRonas »

MOLON LABE

I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6!
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Thank you!

For my own edification, would "30" still be correct for a 300 BLK, or must I specify '300' because that is in the name of the cartridge?

mbogo
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

1 - Yes
1A - Correct
2 - You still have to do it as the responsible person on the trust.
3 - 30 is fine for anything 30 call from 30carbine to 300WSSM Mag etc...

mbogo wrote:I want to make an SBR (from an AR-15 rifle lower) and specify a 10.5" barrel length and caliber '.30' on the Form 1.

I expect to hold onto that particular upper so I can revert the SBR back to the format listed on the Form 1.

Question #1. I understand that I can install an upper with a barrel longer than 10.5". Can I install an upper with a barrel length shorter than 10.5" without running afoul of BATFE regs/interpretations??

Question #1a. I understand that I can install an upper in a different chambering, e.g., 5.56mm or 9mm; is that correct?

Question #2. I am doing this through my (NFA) trust; as I understand it, I do not have to complete the 'Maker's Certification' ('A maker who is an individual must complete this Section'). Am I correct?

Question #3. The Form 1 refers to caliber, not chambering, so specifying '.30' should suffice (as opposed to 300 AAC Blackout or 300 BLK). Am I correct?

On a related note:

If I SBR a pistol (so I can add a stock), can I convert it back to a pistol by removing the stock and notifying NFA Branch that it is no longer configured as an SBR, or is it a rifle forever after?

Thanks,
mbogo
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Bendersquint wrote:1 - Yes
1A - Correct
2 - You still have to do it as the responsible person on the trust.
3 - 30 is fine for anything 30 call from 30carbine to 300WSSM Mag etc...

mbogo wrote:I want to make an SBR (from an AR-15 rifle lower) and specify a 10.5" barrel length and caliber '.30' on the Form 1.

On a related note:

Thanks,
mbogo
Thanks!