Can you ship a silencer?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Can you ship a silencer?

Post by Bendersquint »

mr fixit wrote:
Seriously, what is the penalty for not telling them what exactly is in the package?
Its a felony at minimum and they would probably get you on a number of other charges like interstate trafficking, illegal transfer of firearms....I am sure there is more....just give me some time to think ;)
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

mr fixit wrote:...
Seriously, what is the penalty for not telling them what exactly is in the package?
Sorry.

Totally sarcastic, aimed at the brilliance in the post just prior to that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have shipped both a rifle and a suppressor by way of the USPS (US Post Office). Both were sent to the appropriate licensed manufacturer or dealer.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

hardcase wrote:I have shipped both a rifle and a suppressor by way of the USPS (US Post Office). Both were sent to the appropriate licensed manufacturer or dealer.
And that is legal.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

doubloon wrote:Sometimes I tell them I'm shipping candles to my grandma in Hobart Bay when it's really bricks of heroin going to my partner in Port Alexander who drops it off to a guy out of Prince Rupert.

As long as they don't know, it's all good.
Could be a problem getting them to honor your Ins claim for $60K-250k of "candles." 8) :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
hardcase wrote:I have shipped both a rifle and a suppressor by way of the USPS (US Post Office). Both were sent to the appropriate licensed manufacturer or dealer.
I thought that there was a USC prohibiting use of USPS for shipping firearms other than longguns. That Commercial Carrier must be used instead. Not taxpayer subsidized quasi-Gov't shipper. :?:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

mr fixit wrote:Seriously, what is the penalty for not telling them what exactly is in the package?
If it's a non-Regulated, non-HazMat, non-Regulated Substance (like Talc powder), that a "Reasonable Person would not expect to cause Alarm" (so Talc is off-limits) and you don't request Insurance coverage or attempt to claim; then that should be lawful. Unless there is a new law that makes it a crime to not truthfully disclose the contents of a voluntary commercial transshipment. (Many post-9/11 laws that aren't published, yet we are required to follow. And 5th and 6th Amend doesn't cover Voluntary Actions taken making a contract w non-Gov't Entity.)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

whiterussian1974 wrote:I thought that there was a USC prohibiting use of USPS for shipping firearms other than longguns. That Commercial Carrier must be used instead. Not taxpayer subsidized quasi-Gov't shipper. :?:
If the end user is a manufacturer it they can be mailed ad returned to the customer. Civilians can't ship via USPS for other than longguns.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

Been through this situation last year with a guy moving to Germany as a US contractor.

ATF says to contact State Dept....State Dept submits the list for verification to the ATF and ATF denies the exportation of the NFA items, Title1 is not problem but the NFA gets denied.

Only a licensed exporter can export NFA items and those items are REQUIRED to have an end destination of a foreign government, it CAN NOT be transferred to civilians regardless the legality in that country. End User Certificates and all that are required.
Is that because of ITAR? Honestly, silencers are probably easier to obtain overseas anyway. I suppose with Form 1 items, you just return them to non-NFA configuration for export?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Prince Yamato wrote:I suppose with Form 1 items, you just return them to non-NFA configuration for export?
Configuration doesn't matter, if its in the NFRTR it would be denied.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

We use to ship a lot of generalized stuff by Trailways or Greyhounds bus lines. I would want the box to say dirty men's under wear or something considering the people that hang out around bus terminals.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

hardcase wrote:We use to ship a lot of generalized stuff by Trailways or Greyhounds bus lines. I would want the box to say dirty men's under wear or something considering the people that hang out around bus terminals.
When they see that it's insured for $1000, they'll think that the dirty men's underwear was a Fetish purchase. :shock: :lol: :roll:

"Machine parts" would be a better description. Oil Field parts are routinely shipped this way. And insured value is believable.