Questions.. been out of the scene for a long time.

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Robert95z

Questions.. been out of the scene for a long time.

Post by Robert95z »

My last purchase of a NFA item was back in 2009. Im trying to get back in the game and see what all has changed. But I have a couple questions.

My trust right now is; my name + "revocable living trust" at the end. It seems that it was the most common way back then. Now even the attorney that did my trust recommends not to have "Revocable Living" on the trust.

1. If I want to SBR what are my options for engraving something shorter, a completely new trust? Can I amend my current? I would imagine amending would be impossible since all my form 4's are already for that trust.

2. I unfortunately had a form 4 weapon stolen, am I to remove this off my schedule A? In light of maybe a recovery? I know probably a stupid question, take it off right?

3. My Gemtech multimount hasn't been used in a couple years. I see now theyre "jailbreaking" them so you can clean them. Ive never cleaned my multimount. Should I clean it? lol I also cant seem to remove the booster from it, any ideas how to break it loose up?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Questions.. been out of the scene for a long time.

Post by rimshaker »

See about simply amending the trust name. Removing "revocable living" isn't so much a name change as it is eliminating redundancy.
Current approved F4's should be fine since your full name is still part of the trust name.

Sure hope you already reported that stolen NFA item. You can't exactly just take it off the schedule A since it wasn't a proper disposition.

Lots of good changes the past few years. Better baffle/core materials and designs. Pistol cans are more take-apart friendly now.
Modularity, shorter "K" models, and do-it-all hybrid cans are the most popular features right now.
Robert95z

Post by Robert95z »

Thanks, maybe I'll try contacting my attorney that did my trust.

Yeah my local PD has been informed, and will be reporting to ATF tomorrow (holiday weekend)

do-it-all hybrid cans? That's intriguing!

I've been out of the gun scene for too long. Ready to get some more NFA goodies.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Oh and you can suppress shotguns now 8)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Robert95z wrote:My last purchase of a NFA item was back in 2009. Im trying to get back in the game and see what all has changed. But I have a couple questions.

My trust right now is; my name + "revocable living trust" at the end. It seems that it was the most common way back then. Now even the attorney that did my trust recommends not to have "Revocable Living" on the trust.

1. If I want to SBR what are my options for engraving something shorter, a completely new trust? Can I amend my current? I would imagine amending would be impossible since all my form 4's are already for that trust.

2. I unfortunately had a form 4 weapon stolen, am I to remove this off my schedule A? In light of maybe a recovery? I know probably a stupid question, take it off right?

3. My Gemtech multimount hasn't been used in a couple years. I see now theyre "jailbreaking" them so you can clean them. Ive never cleaned my multimount. Should I clean it? lol I also cant seem to remove the booster from it, any ideas how to break it loose up?
1 - There are no options for engraving your trust name that is shorter than the legal name of the trust....you can not abbreviate it. You must create a new trust with a shorter name. Legally you can amend your trust however all the Form1/4's in the trust would have to be tax transferred to the new trust as it has a different name.

2 - You should have already reported it to the ATF as soon as you knew it was stolen. They will instruct you on what to do.

3 - Yes, we are still jailbreaking Multimounts. Yes, you need to clean your rimfire and centerfire pistol cans. We can remove your mount for you if you send it in for jailbreaking, believe it or not its pretty common and we have all the fixtures to do it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Robert95z wrote: do-it-all hybrid cans? That's intriguing!
Jacks of all trades and masters of none.

Technology has not increased enough to have a single stack suppress every caliber to optimal levels as well as a dedicated stack for each caliber would.
Robert95z

Post by Robert95z »

Bendersquint wrote: 2 - You should have already reported it to the ATF as soon as you knew it was stolen. They will instruct you on what to do.
Just to clarify.. upon discovery I notified local LE, called ATF 24/7 hotline, whom gave me a # to call on Tuesday during normal business hours.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

WRT the John Smith REvocable Living Trust, Bender hit it on the head. I recommend to all my clients to do First initial, last name, followed by NFA TRUST at the most. With clients with very long last names, I've had some get creative along the lines of 123TACO TRUST. With a common last name (Jones/ Smith), I recommend something other than Jones NFA Trust. There is no requirement of "NFA" being in the name, but most of my clients opt to include it - It's not going to make or break the engraving job, and might come in handy during an explanation to a Local LEO.