Encore SBR help

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

OtterBob

Encore SBR help

Post by OtterBob »

I have a Encore Pro Hunter rifle that I have decided to SBR. With the Thompson being about to be a pistol or a rifle, how do I measure the shortest Overall length? I plan to run a 6.5 inch 45acp barrel on it. Being that the new E file will it allow me to say the word Multi Caliber, do I just pick a caliber? And If I just pick a caliber, can I no longer swap the barrels for bigger or small caliber options? Anyone who has fought this battle, your help would be very appreciated.
Thanks NE Louisiana.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Re: Encore SBR help

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Easiest way to figure out OAL is measure it as a rifle and subtract the difference in barrel length.

I believe you do have to pick one caliber for the stamp and engraving, but you can have as many different calibers and short barrels as you want in addition to that one once approved.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

OtterBob wrote:I have a Encore Pro Hunter rifle that I have decided to SBR. With the Thompson being about to be a pistol or a rifle, how do I measure the shortest Overall length? I plan to run a 6.5 inch 45acp barrel on it. Being that the new E file will it allow me to say the word Multi Caliber, do I just pick a caliber? And If I just pick a caliber, can I no longer swap the barrels for bigger or small caliber options? Anyone who has fought this battle, your help would be very appreciated.
Thanks NE Louisiana.
The other advice was good, I'll just clarify:

OAL can be attained by measuring with a longer barrel and subtracting to get to the OAL you expect with the short barrel.

Choose a caliber for the form, but once papered, you can swap barrels at will. Most advise to retain the original barrel so that it can be returned to the "as registered" configuration.

The info (you or your trusts name, city, state and caliber) can be engraved on the frame or barrel, I engraved my contender frame with my trust info, and most barrels have the caliber engraved already (which is sufficient). I had the frame engraved on the bottom outside the trigger guard assembly. It must be .003" deep and 1/16" character height. If I run into a barrel without caliber info, I'll have it engraved with that, but I wanted my info on the frame so I wouldn't have to have every barrel engraved individually.
OtterBob

Post by OtterBob »

Thanks for the Info.
I have a 7.5 inch AR SBR that I built for work. So, I'm "somewhat" familiar with the process. I was just confused at to how to list the caliber and the over all length, due to the extra barrels. I am pretty sure I'm gonna keep the thumbhole stock on one of them and the regular stock on the other. I know the regular stock is a inch or two shorter than the thumbhole, so I'll use it for the measurements.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

OtterBob wrote:Thanks for the Info.
I have a 7.5 inch AR SBR that I built for work. So, I'm "somewhat" familiar with the process. I was just confused at to how to list the caliber and the over all length, due to the extra barrels. I am pretty sure I'm gonna keep the thumbhole stock on one of them and the regular stock on the other. I know the regular stock is a inch or two shorter than the thumbhole, so I'll use it for the measurements.
I will say that the OAL isn't a super critical measurement from my conversations with the ATF boys. If you're an inch off, they're not gonna prosecute.
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

The NFA Handbook is a good place to get a lot of information. In the case of OAL, it reads,

"The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion
of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-n ... 2/download
A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
OtterBob

Post by OtterBob »

Any suggestions as to which caliber I need to choose, or just throw them up in the air which ever lands on red?
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

OtterBob wrote:Any suggestions as to which caliber I need to choose, or just throw them up in the air which ever lands on red?
As lang as you've got the barrel, I wouldn't sweat the choice much. I papered my contender as a .22 but I haven't had a .22 barrel on the frame since getting the stamp back.
OtterBob

Post by OtterBob »

My head is spinning from looking at at all the barrel options. I can't figure out which barrel length to buy. Looking for a threaded 45 acp barrel. Want it short so it can be as quite as possible. I'm sick of studying it. LOL. Any suggestions from you pros?
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

OtterBob wrote:My head is spinning from looking at at all the barrel options. I can't figure out which barrel length to buy. Looking for a threaded 45 acp barrel. Want it short so it can be as quite as possible. I'm sick of studying it. LOL. Any suggestions from you pros?
A threaded .45 acp barrel will be cool, but shorter won't be quieter, longer will. I'd personally go for something in the 6-10" range for compactness and balance, but both of those are somewhat suppressor dependent as well.

What can will you be using?
OtterBob

Post by OtterBob »

I have a Gemtech GM-45
I'm new to the suppressor world. I figured the longer the barrel would allow the bullet to gain speed. LOL. I threaded he barrel on a 22 inch barrel 357 handi rifle and it was loud as heck. I went back and cut it to 16.5 and it made a huge difference with the 38spl. I just figured the shorter barrel would help.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

OtterBob wrote:I have a Gemtech GM-45
I'm new to the suppressor world. I figured the longer the barrel would allow the bullet to gain speed. LOL. I threaded he barrel on a 22 inch barrel 357 handi rifle and it was loud as heck. I went back and cut it to 16.5 and it made a huge difference with the 38spl. I just figured the shorter barrel would help.
Gotcha, you ran into the sonic crack with the longer barrel.

I think the .45 ACP will stay subsonic in factory 230 grain loads in just about any barrel length. Lighter bullets might crack in a longer barrel, but even that I would doubt unless it's +p ammo.

Go with whatever barrel length you want, and use 230 grain bullets, or hand loads, and you should be golden.