When 8 rounds per second seems slow

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

When 8 rounds per second seems slow

Post by YugoRPK »

Went out shooting with my dad the other day on fathers day. I have a slide fire stock I got in trade a while back. No machineguns in my state. slapped it on one of my SBR's and shot it with the 762 specwar. The silencer worked great or as good as any silencer does on a 5.56 . It just seemed like it was shooting so slow . Maybe the extra weight on the barrel or something but it was a good 3-4 seconds for a mag dump. OK. Maybe it wasnt that slow but it seemed like it for some reason. In reviewing the video I guess it wasnt that plodding as there were a good 6-7 shells in the air at a time. It just seemed slow.

https://youtu.be/MecIx7Zl41M
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: When 8 rounds per second seems slow

Post by poikilotrm »

Were you shooting at Neo?
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

There is no spoon.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I got one also, and I even admit to buying it intentionally. Fun and easier to control than you might expect.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

I refused to BUY one of those stocks. So I traded some work for one.,,,

I have an early model and had to notch it for my one point sling mount.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Must have left a lot of bruises.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I traded an M-4 sling adapter for it. Its cheesy and its really plasticky but it works like a champ. Once you figure out how it works it works all the time. I have to fight the temptation to yell at people who try it out and screw it up though. I was about to choke my brother the other day.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

I shot one at the Texas Firearms Festival last year and the first thing out of my mouth was, "Holy s--t! It really works!" and the SlideFire guy said, "yeah, that's what most people say."

They're actually pretty accurate for what they are too. I think in part, because you thrust the gun forward when you fire so that kind of keeps the muzzle down.

As to a slower rate of fire; it might have to do with the cyclic action during bumpfiring. Because bumpfiring leaves the gun unsupported on one end, it has the potential to bolt cycling issues (kind of like "limpwristing" a rifle). I would hazard a guess that the suppressor throws another wrench in the cogs and that might be the issue.
JoeLiberty

Post by JoeLiberty »

YugoRPK wrote:Went out shooting with my dad the other day on fathers day. I have a slide fire stock I got in trade a while back. No machineguns in my state. slapped it on one of my SBR's and shot it with the 762 specwar. The silencer worked great or as good as any silencer does on a 5.56 . It just seemed like it was shooting so slow . Maybe the extra weight on the barrel or something but it was a good 3-4 seconds for a mag dump. OK. Maybe it wasnt that slow but it seemed like it for some reason. In reviewing the video I guess it wasnt that plodding as there were a good 6-7 shells in the air at a time. It just seemed slow.

https://youtu.be/MecIx7Zl41M
In an oscillating system the natural frequency is a function of weight and stiffness [w=2Pi*Sqrt(k/m), w=freq, k=stiffness, m=mass]. So to increase frequency you want to drop all the weight you can and yes the specwar is weighty so that will slow it down. The other option is to increase stiffness. i.e. if you push harder on the rifle with your off hand it should cycle faster. Now if you push too hard it may not travel far enough to reset the trigger. you'd want to use a trigger with a short reset. Any of those drop in single stage triggers should work great (timney, cmc, etc.). If you swap to a trigger with shorter reset, you can push harder, the gun will move less and your rate of fire will increase. These guys used a bipod to create the tension and the results are impressive to say the least.
http://www.kearms.com/inrange-poor-mans-saw
This is a great too for making sure your ammo stockpile doesn't grow too large :mrgreen:
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

I don't have one on an AR, but I really like my bumpfire stocks on other stuff.

Although I use them less since getting machine-guns.