458 socom Silencerco Hybrid SBR sanity check

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

458 socom Silencerco Hybrid SBR sanity check

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I'm building a 458 socom for a Hybrid on the way. I've been told by quite a few reliable sources that even though the official min barrel length is 16", with subsonic ammo a short barrel should be fine for subs.

I'm liking the 10.5" and can go high velocity with Hybrid removed, But....

What if I end up putting a high velocity round through the can?

I have one of the titanium adapters from Tar Heel that will let me put a MAAD mount on the Hybrid. I plan on opening up a 5/8-24 break and using it. Thus will add about 1.5" more length and a little more volume to the blast chamber.

Anybody shooting supersonic 458 socom through a short barrel and Hybrid?
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Re: 458 socom Silencerco Hybrid SBR sanity check

Post by Fulliautomatix »

I've only fired sub & supersonic .45-70 from a 16"bbl through a Hybrid, and that was OK (sound-wise). Have also fired sub .45-70 through an Octane, and that's nice sounding too.

Other manufacturers of .458 cans never mention bbl length...
Liberty's site says regarding the Cosmic, which is a monocore:
458 SOCOM-NOT RECOMMENDED TO BE HEARING SAFE. BUT THE SILENCER WILL HANDLE IT.
450 Bushmaster-NOT RECOMMENDED TO BE HEARING SAFE. BUT THE SILENCER WILL HANDLE IT.

Lane Suppressor just says "Calibers: 458 Socom, 460 Bushmaster, 45 LC, 44 Magnum, 45 acp, etc"

SilencerCo actually shows that .458 SOCOM through the Hybrid metered slightly lower dB than .45-70 Gov did.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Thanks for the reply, I'm not really expecting very good suppression, I just want a cannon that doesn't blow out ear drums. It would be nice if it can handle supers without damaging the Hybrid, guess that is my real question.
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

I have a 10.5 Socom and I've fired both supersonic and subsonic through it. It cuts the blast down on the 300 gr quite well. On a good subsonic load it's very quiet. Different powders give various levels of quiet. One silencer dealer has fired full auto supersonic through one on a 10.5 and it took it with no problem.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

batman4706 wrote:I have a 10.5 Socom and I've fired both supersonic and subsonic through it. It cuts the blast down on the 300 gr quite well. On a good subsonic load it's very quiet. Different powders give various levels of quiet. One silencer dealer has fired full auto supersonic through one on a 10.5 and it took it with no problem.
Thank you.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Call Silencerco, they will tell you exactly what their product will handle.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Bendersquint wrote:Call Silencerco, they will tell you exactly what their product will handle.
I started there, I'm not sure it's an official answer, but I was told subsonic would be fine from 10.5".

Official min for supers is 16", but what I want to know is if I oops and run a super will it be catastrophic or not.

Plan is to only run supers with Hybrid removed, but it sounds like it can take a mistake just fine.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Call Silencerco, they will tell you exactly what their product will handle.
I started there, I'm not sure it's an official answer, but I was told subsonic would be fine from 10.5".

Official min for supers is 16", but what I want to know is if I oops and run a super will it be catastrophic or not.

Plan is to only run supers with Hybrid removed, but it sounds like it can take a mistake just fine.
I am willing to say what Silencerco told you would be an official answer.

It will probably not be catastrophic but you wouldn't want to do it often. All cans are over engineered and rated for less than they can handle, you know the whole liability thing.

Just keep control of your ammo and you will be fine. I paint the tips of my subsonics to make sure I know what I am shooting. No paint...automatically assume supers. Tens of thousands of rounds down range and never a mix up.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Bendersquint wrote:
CanOfWhooppass wrote:

I am willing to say what Silencerco told you would be an official answer.

It will probably not be catastrophic but you wouldn't want to do it often. All cans are over engineered and rated for less than they can handle, you know the whole liability thing.

Just keep control of your ammo and you will be fine. I paint the tips of my subsonics to make sure I know what I am shooting. No paint...automatically assume supers. Tens of thousands of rounds down range and never a mix up.
Nickel brass for supers here. Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:Nickel brass for supers here. Thanks.
Then you are all set! When did they start making nicle 458socom brass? I need to get me some!
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Bendersquint wrote:
Then you are all set! When did they start making nicle 458socom brass? I need to get me some!
I noticed the nickel on black butterfly ammo at bang it ammo.

Haven't started shooting yet, will put this rifle upper together over next month or so. Will start with factory ammo until I know it's reliable, then play with my own loads from there.

Any experience with black butterfly or strike force ammo? I know SBR and underwood is quality.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
I noticed the nickel on black butterfly ammo at bang it ammo.

Haven't started shooting yet, will put this rifle upper together over next month or so. Will start with factory ammo until I know it's reliable, then play with my own loads from there.

Any experience with black butterfly or strike force ammo? I know SBR and underwood is quality.
I have never bought ammo for 458SOCOM. I have rolled my own since I got into the cartridge.

I have not heard good things about SBR ammo lately, enough that I personally wouldn't chance it. I haven't heard of Underwood.
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Bendersquint wrote:I paint the tips of my subsonics to make sure I know what I am shooting. No paint...automatically assume supers. Tens of thousands of rounds down range and never a mix up.

Great idea, I'm stealing that.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Sharpie works well also
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

I shoot supers out of an 11.5" with no problems. Do so at your own risk, yada, yada, yada....
BT8624

Post by BT8624 »

I also have a 10.5" 458S sbr and expecting the stamp for a Hybrid this month (filed it back in May '16).

I have both called and emailed SiCo, asking *why* the Hybrid is only rated for 16", 458S rifles. Their first response was the muzzle pressure is too great. Then I brought it to their attention that the muzzle pressure from an 18" .338 Lapua (which the Hybrid *is* rated for) is considerably greater than a 10.5" 458S. As best I can remember, the muzzle pressure was like a factor of 4x greater in the 18" .338L compared to a 10.5" .458S.

Eventually his (the guy at SiCo) final answer was, "we haven't tested it yet on a 458S SBR".

If anyone here has Quickloads, you can confirm.

Peace-Out,
Brad
Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hannibalbarca »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:I'm building a 458 socom for a Hybrid on the way. I've been told by quite a few reliable sources that even though the official min barrel length is 16", with subsonic ammo a short barrel should be fine for subs.

I'm liking the 10.5" and can go high velocity with Hybrid removed, But....

What if I end up putting a high velocity round through the can?

I have one of the titanium adapters from Tar Heel that will let me put a MAAD mount on the Hybrid. I plan on opening up a 5/8-24 break and using it. Thus will add about 1.5" more length and a little more volume to the blast chamber.

Anybody shooting supersonic 458 socom through a short barrel and Hybrid?
Im pretty sure the 458 reaches its max velocity after 10.5 inches, and you dont get much more velocity after that sub or super.
so yeah 10.5 should be enough.
and speaking of 458 barrels anyone know where i can get a melonite 458 barrel for under 200?
Willgd3386

Post by Willgd3386 »

So I talked with SiCo and got a straight answer out of them for the Hybrid46 relating to 458 socom. They said they guarentee its rating down to 8" barrels for both sub and supersonic for the 458 socom. I know there was a lot of controversy over this especially since SiCo lists the minimum barrel length at 16". So build away ladies and gentleman, I'm currently waiting for the answer in writing, which I should hopefully receive today or tomorrow, since I get it I will post it as well.
scspartins91

Post by scspartins91 »

Willgd3386 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm So I talked with SiCo and got a straight answer out of them for the Hybrid46 relating to 458 socom. They said they guarentee its rating down to 8" barrels for both sub and supersonic for the 458 socom. I know there was a lot of controversy over this especially since SiCo lists the minimum barrel length at 16". So build away ladies and gentleman, I'm currently waiting for the answer in writing, which I should hopefully receive today or tomorrow, since I get it I will post it as well.
Did you ever get the barrel length in writing from SilencerCo?