Which way to go on silencer purchase?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

klapa

Which way to go on silencer purchase?

Post by klapa »

I have been researching silencers to some time now (with some help from this site), and now am confused as to the best way to go when considering the very real possibility of the Hearing Protection Act of 2015 actually being signed into law.

I was just about to pull the trigger and go ahead with setting up a trust and purchasing a silencer, but now wonder if I should wait?

After looking into things I had decided I would go with a local dealer that stocks cans instead of going mail order. They would essentially walk me through the paperwork even if I would need to do the trust separately. Being a local dealer I could see what I was getting and maybe go for a visit :) every now and again while waiting almost A YEAR to get it.

Now I have the prospect to just wait awhile and be able to walk away with my purchase on the same day, possibly with no worries to transfer my can so long as other basic firearms ownership requirements were met. I understand I would get the $200 back for the tax stamp if the law passes, but WHEN? Also - if my can was in jail at the dealer would there be a delay to pick it up? Plus I would no longer need a trust (I guess?) to transfer it so that saves another ~$200.

So, I guess I'm just a little confused on how and WHEN this will all play out. The other parameter is I would suspect that prices will go up as availability would go down initially due to a rush to acquire existing inventory.

I think I'm going to go ahead with my gun purchase - 16" AR platform 300 AAC - and wait a bit on the silencer while keeping an eye on what's in stock.

Just wondering if anybody has any input here.
alterian

Re: Which way to go on silencer purchase?

Post by alterian »

I would definitely do the Trust route. What if (God forbid) it doesn't pass or later gets repealed. But then again, if i could walk out with it well... that would be nice. Its your choice brother. I look at it like this the Trust, is i pass will dictate how everything will be distributed.

Myself I'm thinking of filing another form 1. Any idea when the bill es expected to pass?
alterian

Post by alterian »

alterian wrote:I would definitely do the Trust route. What if (God forbid) it doesn't pass or later gets repealed. But then again, if i could walk out with it well... that would be nice. Its your choice brother. I look at it like this the Trust, is i pass will dictate how everything will be distributed.

Myself I'm thinking of filing another form 1. Any idea when the bill es expected to pass?
Nevermind, i just read the 41F rule. Sucks, well i guess now it depends on the CLEO and what ll hell say.
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

1) it doesn't matter what the CLEO has to say, you just inform them now. No need for an approval signature.

2) the answer is always buy now, the wait will never get shorter than it is right now.

If the HPA passes, great go in and pick up what you already paid for. The stamp can be canceled and refunded at anytime so you're not even out the $200.

If the HPA doesn't pass, then it's still on current rules and you are no further behind.

If you don't purchase now and wait for the HPA to pass, how likely do you think it is that you will find the silencer you want when every one will be out looking for them at the same time. Ever heard of "hatchimal" or "tickle me elmo" You will not be the only one wanting that silencer and I bet there are plenty of people out there willing to pay whatever it takes to have them right now.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

klapa wrote:... possibility of the Hearing Protection Act of 2015 actually being signed into law.
So, I guess I'm just a little confused on how and WHEN this will all play out. ...
You can do a search for the bill and follow it's progress.

There are a few threads on the topic at various gun boards which google should help you find.

It's not yet a done deal so I would purchase not and plan as if it will never happen.

Whether you choose individual, trust or LLC may be dependent on your state laws. Some states require annual fees to renew a LLC some do not but either way you have to file paperwork every year. Trusts don't require annual paperwork but may have slightly less fluidity than a properly managed LLC. Individual ownership is a tried and true easy single possessor recipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

Post by hbk80rice »

Do not I repeat do not wait on the hearing protection act to be passed. By the time it passes, if it ever does pass you would have already got your can back. Plus it is written into the law that you will get a $200 refund for your NFA item(Silencer) if and when the hearing protection act passes for the silencer you purchase.
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9