PA Open Carrying Suppresor Question

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Vesper
Silent Operator

PA Open Carrying Suppresor Question

Post by Vesper »

Does anyone know if you can open carry a suppressed pistol in PA? Can't find much on the matter. Curious to know the law.
Host: M41A Pulse Rifle
Can: Jelly Donut
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: PA Open Carrying Suppresor Question

Post by doubloon »

If you can supply a link to the penal code for your jurisdiction regarding open carry as well as a link to the penal code for prohibited weapons I can read it for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry/

While Pennsylvania has a specific law that requires a License To Carry Firearms for the concealed carry of a firearm, and the carry of firearms in vehicles, the law is silent on the legality of openly carrying a firearm in other situations, making it de-facto legal.
Title 18

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

Cross References. Section 6108 is referred to in section 6109 of this title.
Laws forbid, they do not allow. There is no prohibition against carrying a silenced weapon openly in PA. That being said, what a horrifically stupid idea. What kind of neckbeard jackass would want to do this? Weak minds would see that as a statement of hostile intent, just like carrying a rifle into a mall. Carrying openly is an attention whore kind of thing, this takes it to a whole other level of "look at me!".
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

poikilotrm wrote:http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry/

While Pennsylvania has a specific law that requires a License To Carry Firearms for the concealed carry of a firearm, and the carry of firearms in vehicles, the law is silent on the legality of openly carrying a firearm in other situations, making it de-facto legal.
Title 18

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

Laws forbid, they do not allow. There is no prohibition against carrying a silenced weapon openly in PA. That being said, what a horrifically stupid idea. What kind of neckbeard jackass would want to do this? Weak minds would see that as a statement of hostile intent, just like carrying a rifle into a mall. Carrying openly is an attention whore kind of thing, this takes it to a whole other level of "look at me!".
While I do agree, three are many times when open carry is a bad idea and does more harm than good, there absolutely are times when it is a good idea. Don't forget, there's black bears in PA, open carrying a handgun while out for a walk with your dog near wooded areas is not stupid. It wouldn't be stupid to carry a pistol with a micro can in this scenario either. OP's question has relevance. I wouldn't be so quick to judge the neckbeard jackass-ness of OP.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

fishman wrote: I wouldn't be so quick to judge the neckbeard jackass-ness of OP.
Nobody ever worries about the legality of carrying in the woods, other than federal park lands. Nobody ever gets harassed by LE for carrying a pistol or rifle in the woods. The open carry question is invariably oriented on urban settings.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

poikilotrm wrote:http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry/

Title 18

Indeed open carrying a 22 pistol with a suppressor on it for squirrels also theoretically becomes legal for us Pennsylvania natives this July. Not that we can't carry a rifle with a suppressor around the woods now but you don't see many pistols.
EastCoastPoly

Post by EastCoastPoly »

Being in PA, I can tell you while open carrying is legal and owning a suppressor is legal, walking around town with a suppressed pistol on your hip for the world to see is a big issue. It boils down to intent. For instance, walking around with one gun CC, no problem. Walking around with two guns CC, not advised but really not a problem. Walking around with Two pistols, one CC and one Open, and an AR-15 on your back; you will be stopped, put on the ground, and given some brand new shiny bracelets. If you are portraying the intent to cause harm or damage to yourself, the public, or another's property you will be charged and cited with disturbing the peace, unlawful use of firearm, and some other possible charges depending on officers mood. A suppressed pistol is not socially accepted in the USA, plain and simple, you can thank Hollywood and the far left for that.
“The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.”
― George Orwell, 1984
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Also, why would you want that? Why would you want an impossibly long draw? A carry weapon is for self defense. You want it accessible.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

poikilotrm wrote:Nobody ever worries about the legality of carrying in the woods, other than federal park lands. Nobody ever gets harassed by LE for carrying a pistol or rifle in the woods. The open carry question is invariably oriented on urban settings.
Yes and no. Several times I've had cops drive by me and not stop while I was walking down the road to a hunting spot, in all camo carrying an AR15. But I've been stopped by a cop on the same road while carrying an 870 and wearing snow camo and night vision. You'd think it'd be obvious I was hunting but the LEO didn't seem to believe me. In his defense, not many people hunt at 1am in December. I was stopped and I wasn't even doing anything illegal. I wouldn't recommend illegally carrying, even in the woods.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Vesper
Silent Operator

Post by Vesper »

Thanks for the input and comments. I would say that open carrying a suppressed pistol on the hip would be most unwise and problematic for a whole host of obvious reasons. Only interested to know if it was legal to do so as not to find myself on the wrong side of the law.

To add some context, I'm interested in having a photograph taken with my suppressed pistol on my hip with various highjinx props for purposes of creating the most unusual of avatar pics. Goal was always to take the photo with little to no impact on the public good. All that said, now I'm second guessing. I'm thinking of holstering a sandwich instead. ;)
Host: M41A Pulse Rifle
Can: Jelly Donut
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Vesper wrote: Only interested to know if it was legal to do so as not to find myself on the wrong side of the law.
Cops don't give a s--t about the law. They'll kill you, make up a lie, and skate. The guy who murders you will be congratulated by his fellow cops. Don't give them an excuse.
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

EastCoastPoly wrote:Being in PA, I can tell you while open carrying is legal and owning a suppressor is legal, walking around town with a suppressed pistol on your hip for the world to see is a big issue. It boils down to intent. For instance, walking around with one gun CC, no problem. Walking around with two guns CC, not advised but really not a problem. Walking around with Two pistols, one CC and one Open, and an AR-15 on your back; you will be stopped, put on the ground, and given some brand new shiny bracelets. If you are portraying the intent to cause harm or damage to yourself, the public, or another's property you will be charged and cited with disturbing the peace, unlawful use of firearm, and some other possible charges depending on officers mood. A suppressed pistol is not socially accepted in the USA, plain and simple, you can thank Hollywood and the far left for that.
Fight back, combat the stereotype. The same s--t used to happen in OH until grass roots organizations and political reorganizing has led to change. 'A right that isn't exercised is soon lost"

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/some-oh ... open-carry