how hard is it to get a LE demo letter for a FA as an FFL 1 SOT 3? what model gun do LEA's typically ask for?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

python76

how hard is it to get a LE demo letter for a FA as an FFL 1 SOT 3? what model gun do LEA's typically ask for?

Post by python76 »

i know getting a LE demo ofc depends on the agency you ask but what are the steps like and can i demo it to any LEA in the country or only in my local area? if so for example if im in Texas and some LEA in Hawaii gives me a demo letter would i have to take the gun and go to Hawaii to demo it? lets say i do get a LE demo can i then buy that exact model specified in the letter from another SOT or could i for example call up Colt (or w/e manufacturer) and get a new factory FA assuming they would even talk to me ofc.

what is the most common model of FA guns that LEA's ask for? FA AR15 pattern guns im assuming?
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: how hard is it to get a LE demo letter for a FA as an FFL 1 SOT 3? what model gun do LEA's typically ask for?

Post by John A. »

Military and police are exempt from the same laws that we have to follow.

LE agencies can order a firearm direct from the manufacturer, shipped straight to their door without the need for FFL involvement. Even for machineguns.

"How hard is it to get a demo letter?"

Pretty dog gone rare in the real world since LE Agencies are exempt from such foolishness.

Further, the Federal government often have programs where they GIVE police agencies surplus machineguns. Further negating the need for an agency to need to provide an SOT a demo letter in the first place.
I don't care what your chart says
python76

Re: how hard is it to get a LE demo letter for a FA as an FFL 1 SOT 3? what model gun do LEA's typically ask for?

Post by python76 »

i realize all of that. there are tons of people with demo samples though so its not impossible. so im just looking for someone that has been through the process to maybe tell me how it goes.
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

2nd hand knowledge, take it for what it is:

You get buddy-buddy with a local LEO responsible for making purchasing decisions and hope like hell they'll agree to provide a letter.

And if the same guy gives you multiple letters, especially for items that a PD would likely not be truly "demo-ing", ATF will not be pleased.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Once again, second hand knowledge, I was friends with this SOT who had multiple letters for Demos from LEOs. He had to spend a "considerable" amount of money on ammo for them to shoot it up. Like upwards of 6~10K rounds per letter. He even had an MP7, and this is like almost 10 years ago... I can't even imagine how much that cost him....
python76

Post by python76 »

thanks for the response mk23 and crazyelece. thats some interesting info. jeez letting them blow 6-10k rounds per letter just wouldn't be worth it unless you're just rich.