Shotgun/NFA question

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Shotgun/NFA question

Post by cdhknives »

I had a guy show me a picture of a shotgun his girlfriend inherited. It looks like a typical single shot 410 break action with the standard shoulder stock cut off to a pistol grip. The barrel is left full length. It appears to meet the measurements required (over 18" bbl and over 26" overall) to avoid SBS status per this definition:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/shotgun ... ubject-nfa

Since it was originally a shoulder stocked shotgun, does cutting to a pistol grip trigger the same legal effect as would happen with a rifle to pistol conversion? I don't think so but I've never run across this particular combination of pistol grip but long barrel.

He used it to clear traps, in case you were wondering what possible use this could have. I know I was asking myself 'why?' when I saw it, but it was her daddy's so she doesn't want to change it.
YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shotgun/NFA question

Post by mbogo »

Does it look like a Kimel Kamper?
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

Same idea, much better woodwork. Nicely rounded and well finished, not blocky like that grip. That appears to be a factory build, this is obviously someone chopping off the stock but with moderate to high woodworking skill.

I know the pistol grip shotguns currently on the market are not NFA because they came form the factory with a pistol grip. Conversions are ruled differently in the rifle barrel NFA world but I am not familiar with how shotguns are treated except as a SBS. I can't find anything that makes chopping off a stock an issue so long as barel and OAL are above the oft stated minimums...and this one does.
YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

cdhknives wrote: I can't find anything that makes chopping off a stock an issue so long as barel and OAL are above the oft stated minimums...and this one does.
Yeah, this is where I'm at with it.

If he had chopped the barrel too, would raise red flags, but I don't think she has anything to worry about.

Long as it's more than the minimum length overall, I wouldn't sweat it.
I don't care what your chart says
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

As long as its over 26" its fine.

If it was originally a shotgun, its still a shotgun.
If it was made like that originally, its a firearm, just like the shockwave.

If its under 26" then its only legal if its registered as an AOW (or could also legally be an sbs if originally a shotgun)
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647