Coastal M.I.M.S. or Burgess suppressor for SW76

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Littlejoe

Coastal M.I.M.S. or Burgess suppressor for SW76

Post by Littlejoe »

Any one own a Coastal M.I.M.S. or a Jim Burgess made suppressor for their SW 76.

Pros and cons of ........

1. ANY can that "slows ANY weight bullet down", does a credible job of making the gun quiet and comes apart for cleaning (ala the one by Jim Burgess or anyone else you can suggest....?)

2. I want to leave the can on and load up 115s or 124s or 130s or 147s and just shoot. Does not have to be WHISPER quiet with 115s or 124s.

3. Want to be able to take apart and clean.

Thank you........Lj
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Re: Coastal M.I.M.S. or Burgess suppressor for SW76

Post by Diomed »

Littlejoe wrote:1. ANY can that "slows ANY weight bullet down", does a credible job of making the gun quiet and comes apart for cleaning (ala the one by Jim Burgess or anyone else you can suggest....?)
Is that "slows any weight bullet down" part of the pitch for the Burgess can? If it is, it sounds like he's using a ported barrel. Or fibbing.
2. I want to leave the can on and load up 115s or 124s or 130s or 147s and just shoot. Does not have to be WHISPER quiet with 115s or 124s.
If the barrel isn't extremely short or ported, then you'll have ballistic cracking. No way around it except to underload the ammo to the point that it's subsonic.
3. Want to be able to take apart and clean.
That's really only an issue if you'll be shooting unjacketed lead through it.

Having talked to the guys at Coastal, I would not buy a MIMS. Others may find it worthwhile.
kend

Post by kend »

Having talked to the guys at Coastal, I would not buy a MIMS. Others may find it worthwhile.
Care to elaborate? What info did you get that would keep you from buying the MIMS? Is it just that one or anything from them?
t1210

Post by t1210 »

The Burgess barrel is ported. I have one and a SW76 at my dealer waiting for the stamps.
Littlejoe

Post by Littlejoe »

I should have said " PORTED BARREL " style screw on suppressor, rather than " SLOWS ANY WEIGHT BULLET DOWN " style suppressor like the one Jim Burgess sells. Sometimes I compose a written sentence ( or speak ) based on what I'm thinking, rather than taking the time to translate that thought into a cogent sentence.

I think John Norrell makes a "ported barrel" style screw on suppressor for Subguns also and it disassembles for cleaning like the Burgess can ! ?

I'll probably get a Burgess or Norrell suppressor as I like the idea of pretty much leaving the can on and shooting what ever weight bullets get loaded at the range. Plus I can clean it.

Just in case anyone wants to know, my brother has a Coastal M.I.M.S. he uses on his UZI 9mm and is VERY happy with it. He finds it rugged, very quiet and a great financial value.

I have shot his UZI with 147 grain bullets, wearing hearing protectors at an indoor range and pretty much all you hear is the bolt running and the bullets hitting the back stop 30 yards away. The old sewing machine grin.

Thanks for taking the time and interest to write you thoughts guys. It helps me make decisions.

Lj
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I have a Burgess ported barrel integral can on my Stemple 76-45. Not exactly what you are going to be running, but it's what I have. It's very quiet for a full auto 45. I can't help but think it will work well for you in 9mm.

I have never chrono'd my gun so I don't know how much velocity is lost. As I understand it, when a 45 is ported it isn't done to reduce the speed. 45 is already subsonic. It's ported to let more gas escape and expand. Whatever. It's quiet.

I have bee thinking for a long time that it would be cool to form 1 SBR an Enfield rifle action, then get a 45acp conversion (SIA kit) and make an adapter to screw the Burgess in as the barrel. Kind of a wanna-be Delisle.

I think you will be happy with that type of can. All the things discussed in the 22 muzzle can -vs- integral thread come into play here. Your only drawback in this case is not being able to use the silencer on different guns. IMHO, that's a bigger issue in 22 because 22s are something you really need a bunch of. At least I do. With a full auto, you need all the suppression you can get if you want to make it any better that 'no hearing protection needed'.
Littlejoe

Post by Littlejoe »

I've pretty much decided to get the Burgess ported barrel can. Quiet to Very Quiet over a wide range of bullet weights and cleanable.

I can change out the barrel where its noisy anyway and hearing protection is required.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Cool. If I recall correctly, the Burgess isn't too expensive as NFA toys go. Not the biggest factor in a life time purchase, but it's nice to get something for reasonable money.
Littlejoe

Post by Littlejoe »

I was just reading a thread under the "Silencer Talk" heading about sealed vs unsealed cans, along with many other discussions on the subject and feel even better about being about to disassemble the suppressor for cleaning.

Lj
grifter95
Silent But Deadly

Post by grifter95 »

I sell lots of the Coastal MIMS silencers. They are very affordable, and they work well in my opinion. Are there better silencers out there? Sure. Are there better silencers out there for the price of the MIMS? Probably not!
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

kend wrote:What info did you get that would keep you from buying the MIMS? Is it just that one or anything from them?
The can is all aluminum, including the blast baffle. I find that unacceptable in a subgun can. Others don't.

They don't anodize it either. That's just cheap.
kend

Post by kend »

The can is all aluminum, including the blast baffle. I find that unacceptable in a subgun can. Others don't.

They don't anodize it either. That's just cheap.
According to their website they are Black Matte Anodized, where does your info come from? Have you ever handled a Coastal can of any kind?
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

kend wrote:According to their website they are Black Matte Anodized, where does your info come from?
The guys that design and build their cans told me. Face to face. In person.
Have you ever handled a Coastal can of any kind?
Yes.
kend

Post by kend »

That's strange because every Aluminum can they make is Anodized. I wonder why they would say that if it's obvious they're Anodized, just something else that makes you go hmmmmm......
grifter95
Silent But Deadly

Post by grifter95 »

The tube and end caps are anodized. The "guts" are not anodized. I have one in front of me right now that I just double checked. I have one on a AR-15 9mm upper that I routinely shoot on my FA lower. I have had not problems with it. And if I did. Coastal would replace the guts for little to nothing! They are really easy to deal with.
kend

Post by kend »

Does any manufacturer Anodize the "guts"? I still learning about this stuff and I'm curious as to why they would do that, would it make it easier to clean?
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

kend wrote:Does any manufacturer Anodize the "guts"? I still learning about this stuff and I'm curious as to why they would do that, would it make it easier to clean?
The better manufacturers do.
kend

Post by kend »

JohnnyC wrote:The better manufacturers do.
What would it accomplish?
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

kend wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:The better manufacturers do.
What would it accomplish?
For take apart cans, particularly 22LR, they will be a lot easier to clean. Aluminum is very soft. The anodizing gives it a hard surface.

This leads to the other overall benefit of greater longevity. Maybe you would never live long enough to shoot out your can. But what about your grandchildren?
stenmon

Post by stenmon »

FWIW, I own an old style Coastal Uzi supressor. It has the plain fender washer type baffels. It works very well due to a large volume. I have exchanged several emails with Clyde, the owner of Coastal. He has never failed to answer an email and was always very polite, patient and helpful
answering my questions regarding rebuilding it with K baffels. I must say, based on the excellent response I got dealing with Clyde, and how happy I am with my Coastan can, I would not hesitate to purchase another. Coastal cans are an excellent value for the money.