C&R Machine Guns

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

dcmdon
Silent But Deadly

C&R Machine Guns

Post by dcmdon »

I have my C&R FFL.

If I was to buy a C&R machine gun, could I handle the transfer directly?

Thanks,

Don
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

No. You will need to go through a Class III dealer for that.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

If you have a C+R license you can direct purchase C+R qualified NFA items tax paid form 4 from a dealer or individual out of state.

A std. FFL can purchase any NFA item on tax paid form 4 direct from out of state source.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

rockman96 wrote:No. You will need to go through a Class III dealer for that.
Wrong answer - no points this round :)

As a C&R holder, if I want to buy a C&R Sten, or other qualified MG, I send the money to the dealer, or individual, we file the Form 4 and I submit the Form 4, with a copy of my C&R. The seller (dealer or individual) ships the approved Form 4 and MG directly to me.

The key is finding a C&R elegible MG. Many of the Stens I have seen are pre-86 dealer samples. The firearm has to be over 50 years old too. That's 1958 or earlier now.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Fallschirmjaager
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fallschirmjaager »

Autoweapons.com actually has a lot of C&R eligible machine guns right now, no idea what there prices are like. They even have two C&R Sten Mk.II's.
I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc...
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

C+R guns are not always 50yrs old. Things get determined to be C+R by limited production, gold plating, other things to make a gun collectable
All West Hurley M1A1 are C&R as are the commemoratives

https://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem. ... =132633778
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

David Hineline wrote:C+R guns are not always 50yrs old. Things get determined to be C+R by limited production, gold plating, other things to make a gun collectable
All West Hurley M1A1 are C&R as are the commemoratives

https://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem. ... =132633778
True enough ... but all firearms become C&R automatically when they hit the half-century mark .... only some are C&R before that.

I imagine if you could locate one of the AR-15's that the police used to end that N Hollywood shootout, you could make an argument that the value of that particular rifle is gained from its link to that historical event, but it is probably just as easy to go through your FFL.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Re: C&R Machine Guns

Post by stymie »

dcmdon wrote:I have my C&R FFL.

If I was to buy a C&R machine gun, could I handle the transfer directly?

Thanks,

Don
I'd recommend an Armalite Costa-Mesa AR18. These MGs have a gas piston & are extremely accurate; priced right too...
You can have it shipped right to your door with an 03FFL.

:twisted:

Here's mine!

"My GOD can kick your god's ass!"
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

WhisperFan wrote:
rockman96 wrote:No. You will need to go through a Class III dealer for that.
Wrong answer - no points this round :)

As a C&R holder, if I want to buy a C&R Sten, or other qualified MG, I send the money to the dealer, or individual, we file the Form 4 and I submit the Form 4, with a copy of my C&R. The seller (dealer or individual) ships the approved Form 4 and MG directly to me.

The key is finding a C&R elegible MG. Many of the Stens I have seen are pre-86 dealer samples. The firearm has to be over 50 years old too. That's 1958 or earlier now.
This is good to know. Sorry for spewing bad info....I really thought you had to have the Class III status to do any transfer. This is good.
dcmdon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dcmdon »

Guys, thanks for the discussion. I thought the firearm's C&R status "trumped" its class 3 status, but its good to know.

With that said, is it true that most Thompsons are C&R?

Re the AR18, its not 50 yrs old, so how is it eligible? Just because its on the eligible list? (and how it got there is anyones guess?)

This has been very helpful.
Thanks,

Don
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

With that said, is it true that most Thompsons are C&R?

I don't know what most Thompsons are. Original WWII era ones for sure. Later Production West Hurley guns depends upon the production numbers of the particular model you are looking at.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

WhisperFan wrote: I imagine if you could locate one of the AR-15's... make an argument that the value of that particular rifle... but it is probably just as easy to go through your FFL.
For a Title I gun, sure. Just have it transferred through your local FFL.

The real advantage of using a C&R FFL to buy C&R NFA is that it speeds up the process. The gun transfers directly to you, and doesn't have to go through an FFL in your state - you are the FFL. This saves the time it takes for the gun to transfer from out of state to your dealer.

And I've had some dealer-to-dealer transfers take longer than the dealer-to-me transfer.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Oh yeah, and the official List can be found at http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Can the AR-18 be equiped with a silencer?
dcmdon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dcmdon »

anything can be equipped with a silencer.

But to answer what I think your question is, i.e. is it practical.

Sure. Its a gas piston operated rifle with a threaded bbl. Should be easy.

Thats not to say that some tweaking would not be necessary, but everything you need is there.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Cheapest C&R I can think of is the Reising. Are you looking for cheap? Specific caliber, type, something else?
dcmdon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dcmdon »

not necessarily. It was more a point of curiosity. I'm in the midst of buying a M11/9 lower to go with a Max 11 upper.

After that I'm taking a sabatical from any purchases. I've got to build up the family cash cushion before any new purchases.