NEF Ultra Varmit as a SBR/SBS. A good idea?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

NEF Ultra Varmit as a SBR/SBS. A good idea?

Post by Crosshair »

I have started to get involved in NFA guns and I have thought about registering a NEF Ultra Varmit reciever as a SBR. Since you can get extra barrels fitted I would be able to have both rifle and shotgun barrels fitted. Imagine a 8" 44 mag barrel, 8" 357 Mag barrel, 12" 12 gauge barrel or any number of calibers that are chambered in this gun.

The only problem I see is sending the reciever back to New England Firearms for fitting barrels. If the reciever is in the NFA, would there be any problems with me sending it to them to have barrels fitted to an NFA reciever?

What do you all think about this idea???

/Thanks for your time.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Rifle/Shotgun

Post by David Hineline »

Short Rifle or Short Shotgun, you are going to have to pick one or the other, or double register the unit with $400 in tax.

I have never heard that barrels need fitting on these guns.

Pick up a nice Tompson Contender frame and register that, much better gun than spending $200 tax on a $150 rifle.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

A Contender makes a fun SBR. Even though they are budget priced, I've heard good things about the NEF rifles. If you already have the gun, try it out and see how well it shoots before you pay to register it.

Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rifle/Shotgun

Post by Crosshair »

David Hineline wrote:Short Rifle or Short Shotgun, you are going to have to pick one or the other, or double register the unit with $400 in tax.

I have never heard that barrels need fitting on these guns..
Hmm, well that sucks. Yes you do need to have the NEF barrels fitted to the frame. I plan on using an Ultra Varmit in 223 on my TAC-16 that I ordered so we will see how that turns out. The one advantage to the NEF is that extra barrels are $100 vs $250 and up.
DorikinGTSt
Silent But Deadly

Post by DorikinGTSt »

as long as it's 45-70, you're shooting Speer 500 grn. AGS-T's, and the can is made from a Maglite it is a great idea. An integral 12 gauge wouldn't hurt either.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

I was thinking a suppressed 500 S&W would be kinda neat to have. :shock:
TEXMEX
Silent Operator

Post by TEXMEX »

Have all the barrels fitted before you make it a SBR/SBS.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Do you think it would be a bad idea to have a 500 S&W barrel fitted to the frame? I have heard about some people having the frames stretch from the 500 S&W. Seems like the frame is nearing its limit on that round. Perhaps if I just kept the loads down it would be safe.

Mabee I should just get an Encore frame and be done with it.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

If you are going to use NEF/HR single shots, get one of the newer ones. The old ones have automatic ejectors, and can be problematic with handloads, especially chambered in .223. The newer models (2005+ ?) have an mechanical extractor that cams out when the gun is open, just like a TC Contender.

Jeff