RECALL of GSG-5 SD - now NFA item

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Artful
Silent But Deadly

RECALL of GSG-5 SD - now NFA item

Post by Artful »

looks like the jack booted thugs are at it again... :roll:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=47159
[quote]
To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.
Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.
IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16â€
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

WTF?
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

It looks like its just the SD model for now although I could see them doing the same thing to the regular carbine. I'm guessing somebody cut the barrel on a SD and stuffed the fake silencer with some silencer parts and got busted.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

There was another model that folks were able to make a Form 1 can out of because the barrel "shroud" had a threaded end cap and was not a "solid" piece.
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Must be able to wrap in tape and make into a silencer...
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

chingon wrote:There was another model that folks were able to make a Form 1 can out of because the barrel "shroud" had a threaded end cap and was not a "solid" piece.
Yeah they sold a whole bunchf them. All the first gen carbines were three piece threaded fake silencers. That would be about 2/3 of all the GSG's.
gunn24
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunn24 »

I thought only baffles were reguarded as silencer parts not the tubes. Now if they think the shroud lowers the decibel by 1 then they get to conduct raids.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I doubt thats what this is about. Probably somebody cut a barrel and got popped with what was then a silencer. Tubes are considered silencers to the ATF as much as baffles are.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Once again, the gov prosecutes people because of what they MIGHT do. Not what they actually do.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Those SD shrouds are hollow and can be screwed off. Underneath is the barrel. I'm sure this is an issue of constructive possession. All you'd have to do, they'd say, would be unscrew the fake can, cut the barrel, screw it back on and you've got a suppressor. Nevermind the idea that it might grenade on you.

"Constructive Possession" on this, definitely. It's thought-policing law that doesn't even exist.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Not just the SD shrouds. The carbine shrouds on the first gen are the same. Theyre not going to kaboom either. Theyre heavier construction than a lot of actual silencers. Probably a matter of time until the first gens get recalled to get heavy solid shrouds. Most people that own them don't even realize the end caps unscrew.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I assumed that since they overlap the barrel and the only legal way to get them not to is to go under 16", that they'd just consider it a barrel shroud. But hey, making sense and getting things done isn't the government's job. Their job is to ruin people and steal money. They knew from day 1 what the guns were, they just "accidentally" let the company ship thousands of them so that they'd have to later replace them when they made the ruling. But the US government wouldn't go out of its way to try to bankrupt a gun company, that's crazy talk! I must be mistaken and cynical.
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this doesn't affect the people who have already SBR'd their GSG-5?
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

At that point it's a registered NFA item so how could it? Sounds like a great host for an integral.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Its just the fake can thats the problem. Not the gun. Send the fake can back in and I am sure they'll send you a solid chunk of aluminum with a hole through the center. SBR's wouldnt be affected as they dont have the fake can.