MP5 and yhm wraith xl = problems for me. HELP

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

reaper1
Senior Silent Operator

MP5 and yhm wraith xl = problems for me. HELP

Post by reaper1 »

I just put a New YHM wraith XL three lug on my full auto MP5 and befor this mp5 ran without a hicup NOW jams bad almost every 5-10 rds looks like double, triple feeding. I am new to mp5's so if any one has advice I am all ears it is a MP5A2 I tried using 115gr and 147 gr 9mm. suppressor is very effective with the 147's. I am happy sound wize.
American Reaper Arms
FFL type 07 class II SOT.
Shelby Nebraska
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I'll give it a whirl until a better educated person shows up. What locking piece are you using?
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

a silencer can increase the backpressure and the cycle rate or cause it to unlock too soon and swell cases, in that situation you need a SD locking piece to keep the bolt locked longer.

Perhaps the recoil pulse is harder now and vibrating ammo out of the non HK magazine.

I can't see any cause for a triple feed but bad magazine.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

US made SD (115 degree) locking piece, $34. Just in case.

Like Mr. Hineline said, though, a triple feed sounds like a magazine issue. What make of magazines are you using, and do you experience the same problems with all of them?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
reaper1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by reaper1 »

only have hk factory mags and have only tryrd one of them i will try another. I was unaware of SD locking piece, will that work when i am not using the suppressor?
American Reaper Arms
Shelby Nebraska
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

reaper1 wrote:only have hk factory mags and have only tryrd one of them i will try another. I was unaware of SD locking piece, will that work when i am not using the suppressor?
Are they the older straight mags or the newer curved?

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

I doubt a SD locking piece and an suppressed locking piece are the same. The SD is designed for the factory SD which uses a ported barrel, I'm pretty sure this is going to be lower pressure than a muzzle can.
For my MP5K the suppressed piece is a decrease in angle versus the normal.
Where the SD is an increase in angle versus the standard MP5 locking piece.

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

My YHM Wraith XL runs like a raped ape on my MP5.

Never changed the rollers or anything just put on the can and never looked back.

Has gone a couple K so far and only 1 jam due to holding onto the mag using POF crap mags.

-B
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

another way is to install smaller rollers and decrease your bolt-gap (this makes the action harder to unlock during firing)

it will depend on your gun. YOUR gun. Not my gun, not some other guy's gun... YOUR gun. Your bolt gap and fit of everything (trunnion, barrel, receiver) IS different enough to make a difference.

I say this from experience, and knowledge of the simple (yet elegant) physics of the delayed-roller-locked system.

As David said, a different locking piece might work too. You need to try to balance the increase in chamber pressure duration and subsequent increase in recoil impulse (you hear people refer to this as "back pressure") with greater resistance to unlocking.

In other words, you need to make your action harder to unlock, and if you can't make it "harder to unlock enough" put a .308 hammer spring in there (it has fewer coils than the 9mm spring but they are slightly thicker) and that will at least offer greater resistance to rearward bolt group travel after unlocking (so you don't bang the s--t out of your back-plate and receiver).

Another solution is to use a suppressor with more expansion chamber and overall volume. This will lessen the increase in the duration of the chamber pressure, thus reducing the impulse (impulse is the area under a force time history plot. impulse = force * time)
reaper1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by reaper1 »

thanks guys you gave me good placses to start. I swiched mags today and only got one failure to feed on last round of the mag. My mags are older and have spent most of there days loaded i think that may contribute. i do understand "backpressure" just not what to do with it on the MP5 (untill now) I think i will try the locking piece first as it is cheap and easy. Thanks
American Reaper Arms
Shelby Nebraska