Hi desertdog

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hi desertdog

Post by imyomama »

thanks man... got the polymer bolt buffer in it and it's really nice and quiet ... the barrel is really accurate too..
I shoot winchester subs in it and a 10 shot group at 50 is well under an inch ... not a "TARGET " rifle , but definitelly good enough for plinking / hunting!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

For a semi-auto 22 rimfire, that is damn good accuracy! Sounds fun.
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

After reading all the threads, it seems that about 50/50 positive/negative experience with Hi-desertdog. That's just not good enough odds for me to send some of my precious firearms. Then, imyomama posts a pic of his rifle from the guy and WOW! I called him up since he is not that far from me and asked if I could stop in to see his work, and he told me he doesn't allow anyone in the shop. That was the deal breaker for me.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

morpheus wrote:After reading all the threads, it seems that about 50/50 positive/negative experience with Hi-desertdog. That's just not good enough odds for me to send some of my precious firearms. Then, imyomama posts a pic of his rifle from the guy and WOW! I called him up since he is not that far from me and asked if I could stop in to see his work, and he told me he doesn't allow anyone in the shop. That was the deal breaker for me.
Yeah... while I can understand having that policy, I've been in an MFG/CIII dealer's place before and that really inspired confidence. Of course, I can't say who or where as I signed an NDA. :P
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

morpheus wrote:After reading all the threads, it seems that about 50/50 positive/negative experience with Hi-desertdog. That's just not good enough odds for me to send some of my precious firearms. Then, imyomama posts a pic of his rifle from the guy and WOW! I called him up since he is not that far from me and asked if I could stop in to see his work, and he told me he doesn't allow anyone in the shop. That was the deal breaker for me.
well , i spent about $150 for the barrel if I remember right .. and did all the work myself.. (are you talking about sending in your gun????) (swapping barrel is a do it yourself thing .. take 2 minutes)
I wouldn't worry too much about not visiting his facility... after all , I wouldn't want a stranger at my house either..

keep in mind that there are allot of people with unrealistic expectations, then there is target accuracy , then there is suppressed solution ... a 10/22 barrel that does one very well , may not do the other as well.

I went to the highdesert dog barrel , because it had loose enough of a chamber to cycle semi auto with decent accuracy and not foul up to quick with the can on it... I checked both of my cans with the barrel to make sure it was concentric (don't care for baffle strikes...)..

so , so far shooting 40 grain winchester subsonic , the gun has worked 100% and has good accuracy!
that's all you can ask for...!

heck , my class 3 dealer does not let me in his house either .. we do business in the barn and that's totally ok by me , he's a nice guy and gives me good prices ... i wouldn't let you base your decision on a barrel based on the guy not letting you see his shop..

that's just me!

you also have to take people's post with a grain of salt , some people try to trick out 10/22 to the point they don't shoot reliably , then slap a barrel on and bitch about the barrel not working right ,when the gun don't run right to begin with... 22 are finicky , then there are finnicky ammo , and finnicky mags ... the list goes on.

my full auto 10/22 is way more picky on ammo, running suppressed and barrel lenght as well ...

worse case scenario, you can always put the barrel on GB if you don't like it... that's just my 2c. good luck with your build.

ooops .. my bad .. after reading your original post , I realized you're sending a barrel to get threaded , not just buying a 10/22 barrel .. for what it's worth , I get my barrels threaded by chili17 (member here) and he doesn't let me see his shop either.. and does excellent work.

my rule of thumb on that , is get your gun threaded so it can be redone once if it gets done wrong .. 16.75 inch ???
if it's good , well it's only .75 long .. if it's wrong.. you got 1 more chance to get it right.. if all fails .. spend $200 and SBR!!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
GreyHammer
Silent Operator

Re: Hi desertdog - FAL TO 5/8-24 ADAPTER

Post by GreyHammer »

There's one thing that Hi DesertDog sells that I am very interested in: a thread adapter for the FAL to 5/8-24 for sixty bucks for use with my Cyclone. I think he is big on the FALaholic scene. I'm debating keeping my Imbel based fal or trading for a PTR 91 7.62x39. I already have a PTR 91 7.62x51. Let me warn any observer: stay away from the HK based firearms! There's something about that action that is totally addictive, and I can't explain why.
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

I had him shorten my ps90 barrel because I liked how he did his 1/2-28 adapter. It took a long time and I wasn't really happy with the customer service but the barrel turned out great.
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to send him one of my 10/22 barrels to see how his work is before I send him my expensive stuff.
quietruger

Post by quietruger »

I just had a great experience with Hi-Desertdog. I had been shopping threaded barrels for my Ruger 10/22. Hi-Desertdog had the best selection I could find. However, having read some of the older reviews on this site, I was still a little leary. But when I called, my questions got answered right away and he seemed on the level. So I ordered a threaded 20" barrel and a couple of mags. I got three emails on the status of my order within 24 hours. The last one was a "your item has shipped" notification, however there was no ETA or tracking number. I emailed Hi-Desertdog, and he got back to me within a few hours. He have me an ETA of Saturday or Monday. I got my well wrapped package on Friday! Couldn't be happier and I would recommend HDD to anyone.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

I bought a cheap phoenix arms .22 pistol with 5" threaded barrel for a bargain price. It was the kind of barrel that didnt have enough meat to thread so they put a threaded bushing.

It works just fine with my equipment. Their prices make it very easy to consider them.
LP
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I bought a 22/45 with a threaded barrel from him a few days ago. The work is awesome. The threads look great on it, and the front sight relocation was done flawlessly.

But one gun doesn't say that he does everything perfect- I'm just saying my one experience was really good
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

I ended up getting a threaded blued barrel from him for my Beretta 21A. It works great and the threads are very well done. It just needed minimal fitting at the latch, per his instructions. Ironically, its sight is actually better regulated on target than the OEM barrel.
shutrbkr
Silent Operator

Post by shutrbkr »

BWPerdue wrote:I ended up getting a threaded blued barrel from him for my Beretta 21A. It works great and the threads are very well done. It just needed minimal fitting at the latch, per his instructions.
Ditto that for me . There was a thread on here about the threaded part just being pressed and glued- not the case. It looks like a threaded piece is screwed over the barrel, then welded or soldered in place. It is definately not just pressed glued. The thread protector that came with it is nice too. Little knurled thing. No problems after 400 rounds through this little setup.

As was said on here, seems 50/50 with HDD. I would give them a go again.
....Because I'm that damn good!