Can I AOW a shot gun in Indiana

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

flip
Elite Member

Can I AOW a shot gun in Indiana

Post by flip »

Having a discussion at work here and I know our state does not allow SBS. If my understanding is correct when the stock is removed from the shot gun and a pistol grip is installed it is now an AOW. I am not understanding the IN code that covers SBS and if I can take a shotty, install pistol grip and cut down barrel (under 18") and be OK under AOW? I also assume this takes the $200 tax and the $5 only comes into play if I would buy it from a mfgr. in this config. What say you?
kalidas

Re: Can I AOW a shot gun in Indiana

Post by kalidas »

I don't know if AOW's are legal in Indiana. You are correct about the taxes. It is a $200 fee to create an AOW and only $5 to transfer if it has already been made.
DethRokRyan
Silent Operator

Post by DethRokRyan »

I also am not sure about the legality of AOW's in Indiana.

Keep in mind, though, that if you take a shotgun with a stock and install a pistol grip and then cut the barrel down, it will NOT be an AOW--it will be an SBS. To qualify as an AOW, it has to come from the factory with a pistol grip (i.e. Mossberg Persuader).
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

flip wrote:Having a discussion at work here and I know our state does not allow SBS. If my understanding is correct when the stock is removed from the shot gun and a pistol grip is installed it is now an AOW. I am not understanding the IN code that covers SBS and if I can take a shotty, install pistol grip and cut down barrel (under 18") and be OK under AOW? I also assume this takes the $200 tax and the $5 only comes into play if I would buy it from a mfgr. in this config. What say you?
As others have said, if you start with a shotgun it will always be an SBS. You must start with a pistol grip shotgun that has never had a butt stock attached, EVER.

$5 to transfer, $200 to make if you are not an SOT.

AOW's legal in IN? I think so but, I'm not a lawyer or politician. Remember though, it's an AOW not a shotgun.
8th SPS USAF

Post by 8th SPS USAF »

You can own a AWO in In. I have owned 2. $5 stamp.

I do not think you can make a SBS I know you can not

own a short bbl'ed Shotgun in In.

8th
loony1

Post by loony1 »

Sid Post wrote:
flip wrote:Having a discussion at work here and I know our state does not allow SBS. If my understanding is correct when the stock is removed from the shot gun and a pistol grip is installed it is now an AOW. I am not understanding the IN code that covers SBS and if I can take a shotty, install pistol grip and cut down barrel (under 18") and be OK under AOW? I also assume this takes the $200 tax and the $5 only comes into play if I would buy it from a mfgr. in this config. What say you?
As others have said, if you start with a shotgun it will always be an SBS. You must start with a pistol grip shotgun that has never had a butt stock attached, EVER.

$5 to transfer, $200 to make if you are not an SOT.

AOW's legal in IN? I think so but, I'm not a lawyer or politician. Remember though, it's an AOW not a shotgun.

perfectly stated and yes aow is ok in indiana, that's why i want a serbu so freakin bad!
"I see dead people"...........Okay i really only see people i want dead!