Kriss SBR reliablility

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Kriss SBR reliablility

Post by fstbk65 »

I'm currently looking into buying a Kriss SBR because I think they're cool and innovative plus it will give me something else to put my Osprey on when I get it. BUT... From talking to dealers and ranges that rent them they seem to have alot of reliablity problems. Seems about 50/50 as far as satisfaction. Any Kriss owners out there want to clarify as to what's going on and if there is a remedy before I drop $2000 on something I cant exatly dump off at a gun show if I don't like it?
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Re: Kriss SBR reliablility

Post by fstbk65 »

Thanks for the input. I wanted one as soon as I saw them a couple of years ago. Now that I have an Osprey on the way I was looking for a 45acp carbine to use it on also.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

fstbk65 wrote:I'm currently looking into buying a Kriss SBR because I think they're cool and innovative plus it will give me something else to put my Osprey on when I get it. BUT... From talking to dealers and ranges that rent them they seem to have alot of reliablity problems. Seems about 50/50 as far as satisfaction. Any Kriss owners out there want to clarify as to what's going on and if there is a remedy before I drop $2000 on something I cant exatly dump off at a gun show if I don't like it?
You're almost a third of the way to your first Uzi SMG at $2K. ;)
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

Yeah I hear ya. Osprey isn't full auto rated though. But my Trident is.... Still I think they are cool and I like new design ideas
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I have one of the factory SBR's.
I had to send it back to the factory also for failure to feed and extract and the threads weren't cut to the correct depth.
They fixed the feeding issue but their bolt design is flawed and it won't extract an unfired round reliably.
They know this and their answer is to drop the mag, rack action a couple of times and then shake out the round. Not joking, directly from their chief engineer and master gunsmith.
I do not know of a single owner that has had their gun run right out of the box.

It is a range toy and if you buy the gun with this in mind then you will be happy.

I have an osprey on the way too!

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

okent wrote:I have one of the factory SBR's.
I had to send it back to the factory also for failure to feed and extract and the threads weren't cut to the correct depth.
They fixed the feeding issue but their bolt design is flawed and it won't extract an unfired round reliably.
They know this and their answer is to drop the mag, rack action a couple of times and then shake out the round. Not joking, directly from their chief engineer and master gunsmith.
I do not know of a single owner that has had their gun run right out of the box.

It is a range toy and if you buy the gun with this in mind then you will be happy.

I have an osprey on the way too!

It's refreshing to hear a KRISS owner speak honestly and openly about about the flaws in the system.

".....but It LOOKS cool!"

:)
Last edited by strobro32 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I always said it was a solution for a non existent problem.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Mongo wrote:I always said it was a solution for a non existent problem.
And it runs very loud suppressed.

But, a fun gun.
Kick Ass Design
tacticalsniper3
Silent But Deadly

Post by tacticalsniper3 »

But, a fun gun.
but in teh mw2 it is so queit. arnt al guns suposed to be taht queit(sorry, i just had to say what all the 12 year olds think)

it looks pretty fun, especially in full auto
torrey

Post by torrey »

I own one of the first SBRs to leave the factory. Its a fun gun to shoot and gets lot of attention at the range. As a previous member stated, it IS very loud suppressed. I'm hoping an Osprey (in route) runs better than my EVO45.

Magazines are not easily removed from mine. The only real issue I've had is with the iron sights; which were quickly replaced by TDI. I've only shot about 2-3k rounds through it and have not experienced continuous ejection issues. I have from time to time experienced issues with ejection and it seems to occur when I shoot magtech ammo and the gun is dirty. I had a bunch of ejection and feed issues that were quickly solved by not using magtech ammo and cleaning the gun. It gets dirty quickly when shot suppressed.

Is it expensive? I don't think so, but that's relative to your income. I enjoy shooting it but its more novelty than practical.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

Guns are like women: there is no logical reason why one catches your eye more than another but they just do. I quit fighting it.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

tacticalsniper3 wrote:

But, a fun gun.
but in teh mw2 it is so queit. arnt al guns suposed to be taht queit(sorry, i just had to say what all the 12 year olds think)

priceless
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

I would really like a 45 carbine host and this was on the top of my list but now it seems I'd be better off with something else but don't know what...
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

tacticalsniper3 wrote:

But, a fun gun.

ha ha, and silencers also reduce teh range and teh damage of yur gunz.
Kick Ass Design
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

also:
Kick Ass Design
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

I wanted a Kriss for my evo .. but ended up going a different route due to the problems .. I ended up spending about $800 for the feather 45 . it folds into a small bag , and so far I have not had a single misfeed. it's a much more basic design and you can buy cheap barrels for it .. I didn't want to SBR it , so I had liberty make me a permanent shroud.
I ended up having to put a peice of rubber tubing over the shroud as it was pinging like a AAC flashider.

overall very happy with it and the fact I saved over $1200 over the Kriss.. maybe an option for some of you guys looking for a 45 carbine .. mine has been flawless...

-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

very cool
Kick Ass Design
tomz34
Elite Member

Post by tomz34 »

imyomama wrote:I wanted a Kriss for my evo .. but ended up going a different route due to the problems .. I ended up spending about $800 for the feather 45 . it folds into a small bag , and so far I have not had a single misfeed. it's a much more basic design and you can buy cheap barrels for it .. I didn't want to SBR it , so I had liberty make me a permanent shroud.
I ended up having to put a peice of rubber tubing over the shroud as it was pinging like a AAC flashider.

overall very happy with it and the fact I saved over $1200 over the Kriss.. maybe an option for some of you guys looking for a 45 carbine .. mine has been flawless...

How well does it supress? Would you consider it hearing safe? How is the ejection port noise?
Appriciate any info you can provide.
Knowledge is Power... Sharing Knowledge is Freedom.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

okent wrote:They fixed the feeding issue but their bolt design is flawed and it won't extract an unfired round reliably.
Why is that? Genuinely curious.
okent wrote:They know this and their answer is to drop the mag, rack action a couple of times and then shake out the round. Not joking, directly from their chief engineer and master gunsmith.
Ya don't see that in the reviews. :roll: That fact alone means no LEO or military contracts. Did they realize that they had a turd and decide to try and get some money out of it?
JasonAAC wrote:And it runs very loud suppressed.

But, a fun gun.
Dare I ask why that is? Is it because the bolt is too light, allowing gas to escape through the breech?
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

imyomama, I'm also interested in hearing more about your Feather. I was racking my brain trying to name more 45 carbines but the list was short. I didn't know that existed.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

personally , I would say "no" not hearing safe ... the bolt is really heavy and had a definite ping when slamming shut..
not sure if the evo45 performance has anything to do with it , I don't think so. the bolt is maybe 1.5 inch in diameter and 4 inch long and solid steel... that's alot slaming down.. I think that's was causes the discomfort .
from 5 feet behind , it's really pleasant .. but to the shooter , it's almost brutal.. it's definitelly not mp5 quiet..

it does run without missing a beat though .. the only thing I changed was the mag release spring.. it was too soft and when gripping the mag well , I found myself dropping the mag .. the other thing I put on was the trigger shoe.. from the factory it comes with a blade type trigger , very narrow and uncomfortable .. I like that this new version is all metal , even the lower , which used to be polymer. I've since removed the ace stock and gone back to the factory wire stock , which makes it more compact and put my face further back... so it's not quite as loud .. I was leaning into it with the Ace stock , but I liked the folder .

It will spit out rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger reliably ... since I got a hd camera , i'll try to take a video next time I go to the ranch so you can see it in action...

overall , I got this because I can carry it in a small bag , so it's cool for backpacking.. the wire stock fits in the gun (in reverse ) and the barrel just unscrew with the barrel nut .. accuracy is decent .. I can hit gongs with the reflex sight at 50 yards rapid fire.. and unlike the Kriss, you don't need to take out a loan to get one.

pm me your info if you're intersted in an update and i'll ping you when I get some footage...
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

If you are looking at the bolt face the extractor is in the 10/11 o'clock position and has no lip on the opposite side to keep the rim from slipping off the bolt face.
So the bolt has nothing to push the case up against except the next round in the mag, which means it is essentially unsupported and subject to all possible mag and ammo variables.

So when you load a mag and cycle the action the best I can get is somewhere around 60% extraction rate EXCEPT the last round which flips out 100%.

The review issue is easy: nobody who writes in gun mags says that a gun is a dog whether it is or not. They would quickly be out of a job.

Yes, TDI does know this is an issue and I was told on a conference call by their chief engineer and master gunsmith(Charlie Martz) that the cost of a redesign is too costly and will NOT be done. Charlie is a good guy but has to work with what he's got.

When firing the gun extraction is very good but if you drop the hammer on a dud then it becomes a club so you have to transition to a secondary or do the mag dance. No immediate action drill.

I would wager that no law enforcement or government agency is using this weapon.
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

An unsupported case bolt design seems flawed from the beginning. They should have known that a low velocity (manual) operation of the bolt wouldn't keep it in place. I've pretty much decided against getting one right now. It'll get moved to the lottery list but not at the top of my immediate list anymore. Thanks for all the input guys!
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

okent wrote: I would wager that no law enforcement or government agency is using this weapon.
They'll pull the one they have out for picture day but it won't make it to the field.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

One would think that such a flaw would have been obvious at the first design meeting. :?

Wouldn't a redesign simply require a new barrel and bolt? Why are they letting such a problem continue?
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."