cutting a vent rib shotgun barrel

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

cutting a vent rib shotgun barrel

Post by rogerxd45 »

ok so i just got a 870 super mag and i want to cut the barrel down to about 18.5" until my paperwork clears and i can cut it to 14"

i have never cut a shotgun barrel before so i figured i could start with cutting it at about 20-21" (which is the next part of the barrel where the rib attaches to the barrel) that way if i screw up my gunsmith can cut it down to 18.5"

besides a lathe what is a good way to cut a barrel? and how can i make sure its perfectly even?

any advice would be great. i am really good with tools and such but im just not sure of the best way to make the barrel is square once i cut it.

thank you
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Re: cutting a vent rib shotgun barrel

Post by tmix »

I just cut it with a hacksaw and finish it with a belt grinder or file. You can eyeball it.
Or you can order the shotgun facing reamer from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5171 ... RREL_FACER
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

I've used a chop saw with an abrasive blade.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Pipe cutter, that will get the cut strait. Light sandpaper will clean up the edges.
Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes your the statue.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

I used the big bandsaw in the metal shop at work. Then I finished it up with some filing and sanding.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Queso Grande wrote:Pipe cutter, that will get the cut strait. Light sandpaper will clean up the edges.

The vent rib might prevent use of this method.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

I did the exact same as you with my 870. I just went to the next length above 18" where the rib touches the barrel, cut it off with a hack saw, and filed square by eyeballing it. you can use a square if you really wanna be picky. put a little tool black on the end and you're good to go!

"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

tmix wrote:
Queso Grande wrote:Pipe cutter, that will get the cut strait. Light sandpaper will clean up the edges.

The vent rib might prevent use of this method.

Good point,

I would think the reciprocating saw would mess up the vet rib. Doesn't a type soldering hold on the vent rib to the barrel ?
Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes your the statue.
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

A band saw and a lathe are your friends......
Branded for life, in more ways than one