Sbr for a defensice combat weapon. Which one? Which calliber

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Sbr for a defensice combat weapon. Which one? Which calliber

Post by Kip42 »

I want to build a super fast cqb weapon that can hit a man sized target out to 300 yards. I want around a 10 inch barrel, light, read dot, possibly a suppressor. Must have a folding stock, and be extra field reliable (No ar type systems). I clean my weapons but I want a weapon that runs over and over.

What are the ballistics of a

10 inch barrel on a Sig 556 SBR: What range will a 10 inch 5.56 be lethal out of an SBR?

AK47
14 inch? Will the AK have a big difference between 10,12 and 14?

Problem with an AK is you cant suppress them. Considering an arsenal sbr custom build.

I am assuming anything larger than a 7.62x39 out of a 10 inch will have too much powder burn to be worth the recoil.

Who has an SBR for a fighting weapon, which one, whats the accuracy?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Sbr for a defensice combat weapon. Which one? Which call

Post by Selectedmarksman »

SBR an AR-15 platform so you can run as many different calibers and barrel lengths as you can purchase uppers for (.22, 9mm, .45acp, 5.56 NATO, 6.8 SPC, 300 BLK, etc.) For your ballistic requirements, consider the 300 BLK being introduced by Remington and AAC. Look into it's ballistics, I think you'll like it.

If it 'has' to have a folding stock, there are AR's out there that offer this feature. Just find the one you like and have the upper barreled in the caliber of your choice.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

or the Robinson XCR. Its available in 5.56, 7.62x39 and 6.8. Multiple barrel lengths too.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

A 6.8 AR would be a good choice.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Im not an AR guy b.c of the charging handel design and the spring mounted in the buffer tube. I have had double feeds that required me kicking open other rifles and I dont think this is possible with an ar.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

The side-folding AR designs don't have that spring in the buffer-tube problem. You can also get bolt carriers (with compatible uppers) that have reciprocating charging handles mounted on them. All part of the modularity of the AR design.
LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Post by LFOD1776 »

CQB = Close Quarters Battle != 300 yards. You're sort of looking for one-size-fits-all weapon.

I'm building a Sig P556 into an SBR, but I'm not expecting it to remain lethal out to 300 yards.

How about the Kel-Tec RFB?
NRA Life Member
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

As much as I want an RFB, full-power .308 + CQB situation = massive over-penetration problems.
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

My vote would be for the SCAR-L or Robinson XCR ,choice of bullet weight and style would be critical in 5.56.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

I have voted with my wallet. 300 AAC BLACKOUT 9" Upper. 8)
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

700PSS wrote:I have voted with my wallet. 300 AAC BLACKOUT 9" Upper. 8)
+1

built in versatility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I just wonder if a superlight 308 like 110gr amax would open up rapidly.
I am looking at an RFB. I have a 9.25" POF and though it works I just like the option of
reaching out a little farther.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

ThePatriot wrote:A 6.8 AR would be a good choice.

+1
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Kip42 wrote:Im not an AR guy b.c of the charging handel design and the spring mounted in the buffer tube. I have had double feeds that required me kicking open other rifles and I dont think this is possible with an ar.

IMO doublefeeds on the AR platform is a mag issue, not a rifle issue.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
JMac

Post by JMac »

I have AK SBR's in all different sizes.

10"-11" is the best for size and ballistics IMO

I have the 107ur AKS-47u (8.5") and it will not penetrate block, however my M92 (10") will

Both aforementioned riffles however are expensive due to their rarity and collect-ability They 107ur is VERY handy and will fit perfect in a backpack the M92 has an UF stock which lacks a proper cheek wield.

IMO a Draco pistol with a stock is the best and least expensive SBR option on the market.

Both 5.45 and 7.62 are FAR superior to 5.56 in shorter bbls

Here is a picture of my AIMR/105 which is my go to for 5.45, its the perfect size and set up just right for me.

Compared to my 107ur

Who says you cant suppress an AK? ever heard of the PBS?

They are not the most ideal to silence mostly because of how loud the bolt is, but plenty of suppressors have been made for the ak's they just have more tolerance due to the bore not always being located in the center of the bbl, for me if I can shoot without hearing protection that's all that matters

Hitting a target at 300 meters with any SBR would require an optic (at least for me) and a good rest, also a good idea of what kind of drop you have, its achievable with an AK but you need to know your gun and be a good shot.

If you have any other questions about AK SBR options let me know, If Im less than 100 yards an AK is my first choice EVERY time.

Justin
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

I'm with you Justin, my little SBR AK-74 usually sits next to the bed every night, and I feel very comfortable that it will do exactly what I need it to, when I need it to...

-urban
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Just to get it out of the way up front; 300yards = defense? You can justify your weapon purchases any way you want, I'll never tell any sane and responsable person not to buy whatever gun you can afford.

Either the AR or the AK shorty will treat you right. The AR will let you swap calibers, but the AK is a world wide crowd pleaser for good reasons. Second the Draco+ stamp and stock for the best dollars per donuts game in town.

edited for spelling like a crack head
JMac

Post by JMac »

urban assault wrote:I'm with you Justin, my little SBR AK-74 usually sits next to the bed every night, and I feel very comfortable that it will do exactly what I need it to, when I need it to...

-urban
Great looking 74!, what gas block did you use?
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

JMac wrote:
urban assault wrote:I'm with you Justin, my little SBR AK-74 usually sits next to the bed every night, and I feel very comfortable that it will do exactly what I need it to, when I need it to...

-urban
Great looking 74!, what gas block did you use?
Since it was a Bulgy kit originally, we went with a Bulgy Krink FSB from K-Var back when they had them in stock.

Then my gunsmith milled the top of the FSB off, drilled and tapped a small vertical hole there, and that is now one of the two points that my one-piece railed handguard uses to attach to the rifle.

The other is underneath the rail at the bottom of the handguard. Very solid system, no movement at all, but all I have to do is remove those two screws and my one-piece handguard slides right off.

Thanks for the compliment JMac, can't wait to get it back home and use up an old half spam-can of ammo that has been taunting me!

-urban
JMac

Post by JMac »

Thats a good idea on the GB

I am going to get another draco soon and install the russian polymer side folding stock on it a tri-rail lower and an ultimak with a PA v7 micro dot as well as night sights, that would be the perfect go to SBR

look here http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46586
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

As much as I want an RFB, full-power .308 + CQB situation = massive over-penetration problems.
Does it matter if s--t hits the fan? You could always fire frangibles if you're worried. You can suppress it- it uses standard FAL mags, it is piston driven, it is accurate and easy to maintain. What more do you want? Der I'm sorry this gun is too deadly. Can I please buy a 300 yard taser gun? :wink:
Jerry-R

Post by Jerry-R »

garandman wrote:
ThePatriot wrote:A 6.8 AR would be a good choice.

+1
+1 also. My M6A3 10.5" 6.8 went pending September 30th. Picked up the AAC M4-2000M8 last Wednesday, so the second stamp should come any day. I will be running an EOTech EXPS3-0 with a 3x FTS on it. CQB and range as an option. It might be a little heavy once fully rigged, but that is the way I went.
NRA Endowment Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MCFLURY »

Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Bone stock AMD 65 with Ultimak front mount so you can co-witness a red dot. You may or may not be able to suppress it but the quality control on the Hungarian rifles tends to be fairly good so the threads should be concentric to the bore. Torso shots out to 300 yd are possible with a good red dot, and more importantly, good ammo, but I wouldn't try head shots. You might have to wait for the zombies to get closer. :D
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
JustaPhule
Silent Operator

Post by JustaPhule »

I have a 7.5" 6.8SPC set up as a PDW. Have not gotten the can for it, but it is on the list of stamps to get. I use a RR LE Entry stock on it. Very reliable, minute of head out to about 100m, minute of man out to about 250m. OAL is a shade over 23". Have not had a FTF or FTE yet and I've run ~500 rounds through it. Only problem is the 6.8 ammo is a bit pricey, dies are on the same list as the can.
Rule #2:
Double Tap.