WA state and corporate machine guns

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

davepl

WA state and corporate machine guns

Post by davepl »

I've seen a number of references to NFA Gun Trusts. Here in WA personal ownership of machine guns is illegal, but I'm wondering if a trust makes any difference (or if people are just using them here for other non-auto NFA items).

Put another way: Can a Trust own an MG in WA state? Or can you form an LLC and get a Class III without being an active dealer? Or is there any legal path to owning a full-auto rifle without also owning a gun store?

Thanks,
Dave
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Re: WA state and corporate machine guns

Post by BWT »

davepl wrote:I've seen a number of references to NFA Gun Trusts. Here in WA personal ownership of machine guns is illegal, but I'm wondering if a trust makes any difference (or if people are just using them here for other non-auto NFA items).

Put another way: Can a Trust own an MG in WA state? Or can you form an LLC and get a Class III without being an active dealer? Or is there any legal path to owning a full-auto rifle without also owning a gun store?

Thanks,
Dave
You're running into a situation of you're not bound by Federal Law, but by State Law.

It appears a trust can not.

I'm no expert though, wouldn't necessarily take my words as gospel.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Only way in Washington is to be a licensed dealer. A trust won't do you any good. You could become an SOT manufacturer but that is awfully expensive with the $500 per year fee plus ITAR fees.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Move. Or get a full auto BB gun.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

YugoRPK wrote:Only way in Washington is to be a licensed dealer. A trust won't do you any good. You could become an SOT manufacturer but that is awfully expensive with the $500 per year fee plus ITAR fees.
Your talking about 07/02. I thought 01/03 could also own and don't have to deal with the ITAR since they aren't dealers. Also I thought you need to get a demo letter as well..

davepl wrote:Put another way: Can a Trust own an MG in WA state? Or can you form an LLC and get a Class III without being an active dealer? Or is there any legal path to owning a full-auto rifle without also owning a gun store?
No, you can not own a MG with a Trust.
People in WA typically get the trust to own a suppressor which they can not fire. :roll:
But there's hope that WA HB 1016 will pass to allow people to use suppressors that they legally own.
sigman226
Silent Operator

Post by sigman226 »

HB1016 passed today.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

sigman226 wrote:HB1016 passed today.
Yay.
Doesnt help with machineguns though.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

Passed, but assuming the governor doesn't veto it (which is probably unlikely)
Call the governor to voice your approval of HB1016.

Now if we can only do this for MG & SBRs.
sigman226
Silent Operator

Post by sigman226 »

Ryo wrote:Passed, but assuming the governor doesn't veto it (which is probably unlikely)

She don't have the juice to veto it. It passed a DEM Senate 47-0. Thge House passed it 88-4. They both have the juice to overide her veto. It WILL become law on April 24th!

And you are right on to SBR/SBS and Machince guns. I would expect a much stiffer fight though.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

sigman226 wrote:
Ryo wrote:Passed, but assuming the governor doesn't veto it (which is probably unlikely)

She don't have the juice to veto it. It passed a DEM Senate 47-0. Thge House passed it 88-4. They both have the juice to overide her veto. It WILL become law on April 24th!

And you are right on to SBR/SBS and Machince guns. I would expect a much stiffer fight though.
If the governor wants to veto it she'll veto it. The legislature is in her back pocket. They would have to vote to override her veto. That is not going to happen. If she signs it or lets it ride it will pass into law but the Democratic controlled Washington state legislature is never going to vote to override Christine Gregoires veto pen.

I do believe its 90 days after April 24th in any case.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

Unfortunately she can veto it if she feels like it. Though probably unlikely, but who knows with her antigun views..

Can't believe she was re-elected.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ryo wrote:Unfortunately she can veto it if she feels like it. Though probably unlikely, but who knows with her antigun views..

Can't believe she was re-elected.

Two words that mean everything in Washington politics...

King County

You know. The county that was named after Martin Luther King....
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

King county..

Stickman once said that if we could get rid of King county, WA would be a great state. :lol:
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

On the bright side the democrats in the state legislature would never had voted yes for it without the tacit approval of the Governor and state Attorney General.
sigman226
Silent Operator

Post by sigman226 »

YugoRPK wrote:
sigman226 wrote:

If the governor wants to veto it she'll veto it. The legislature is in her back pocket. They would have to vote to override her veto. That is not going to happen. If she signs it or lets it ride it will pass into law but the Democratic controlled Washington state legislature is never going to vote to override Christine Gregoires veto pen.

I do believe its 90 days after April 24th in any case.
It passed a DEM Senate 47-0. So I do not think they would change their minds cus the queen bee said so. It is law as of 24 April. The 90 day is the party date. So by defacto it is the first legal day of the law..