Ingraving a SBR

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cbarker777

Ingraving a SBR

Post by cbarker777 »

I would like to make a SBR with an existing AR lower. Do I need to engrave anything on the lower since everything is already there? Or am I considered the manufacture since i am taking the lower and putting my own barrel on it and therefore have to engrave my info on the lower as well?
JohnRichardson
Silent Operator

Re: Ingraving a SBR

Post by JohnRichardson »

You are considered the new manufacturer. However,

You must engrave your name and location if private individual, or trust name and location of trust (I dont have a trust, somebody correct me on the trust part if I'm wrong). This is generally done on the right side of the magwell, or in front of the magwell.

Example:

Joe Snuffy
New York, NY

What you have engraved will go in the 'additional description' part on the Form 1.

Some people will claim you don't need to engrave your name and location (and it doesn't state so on the Form), and some people will say you need to. I did, and everybody else I know with an SBR has. Generally, those who say you don't, don't have an Form 1'd SBR. :roll:
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

JohnRichardson wrote:You are considered the new manufacturer. However,

You must engrave your name and location if private individual, or trust name and location of trust (I dont have a trust, somebody correct me on the trust part if I'm wrong). This is generally done on the right side of the magwell, or in front of the magwell.

Example:

Joe Snuffy
New York, NY
He would be the "maker" not a new "manufacturer". As such he'll need to engrave his individual or trust info on the SBR.
Consider my SBR PS90, it has a manufacturer, importer, and maker. All three of us had to engrave our info on it.
cbarker777

Post by cbarker777 »

Example:

Joe Snuffy
New York, NY

What you have engraved will go in the 'additional description' part on the Form 1.
So i leave what is there and then somewhere on there I add my name, city and state i live in? I am sure this has been addressed somewhere before but anyone have suggestions on where to take/send it to get it engrave. Also if you had to make a list of tools that you could not live without to do a build what tools would it be? This will be my first build and obviously my first SBR. I am starting from a striped lower and getting exactly what i want.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

cbarker777 wrote:

Example:

Joe Snuffy
New York, NY

So i leave what is there and then somewhere on there I add my name, city and state i live in? I am sure this has been addressed somewhere before but anyone have suggestions on where to take/send it to get it engrave. Also if you had to make a list of tools that you could not live without to do a build what tools would it be? This will be my first build and obviously my first SBR. I am starting from a striped lower and getting exactly what i want.
You use the existing Title I s/n, add your name and city, state or trust name and city, state. Tell us where you are located and someone can chime in and recommend an engraver.
cbarker777

Post by cbarker777 »

Abiqua wrote:
cbarker777 wrote:

Example:

Joe Snuffy
New York, NY

You use the existing Title I s/n, add your name and city, state or trust name and city, state. Tell us where you are located and someone can chime in and recommend an engraver.
Near Morgantown, WV.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

You might want to start a new thread seeking local engraver near Morgantown or recommendation of where to send it to.
misterchaos

Post by misterchaos »

I sent my lower to Orion Arms. They had it back to me in a week and they did a great job. They also understand ATF regulations for engraving. Just follow their instructions and send in your lower via UPS.

Who cares if the engraver is local so long as the work is done properly.

Also, you should send your lower in for engraving before it is classified as an NFA item for 2 reasons:
1 - what if the engraver doesn't mark your receiver exactly as your paperwork states....more engraving
2- what if UPS loses your registered class 3 weapon.....uh oh. Now you're in a world of s%#@.

Here is their website.

http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving/welcome.html
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Only serial number must be on receiver, other marks can be on receiver or barrel.

Other option is if you really do not want new marks, send the rifle to the original manuf. of the receiver, have them register it as short rifle, it already has their marks on it, then they can return it to you on tax paid form 4 direct across state lines with no dealer.

Now you have a Factory SBR with no additional markings.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
misterchaos

Post by misterchaos »

Remember that if you have the marks placed on the barrel, your AR-15 won't be as modular. If the engraving is placed on the receiver you can put any upper on it so long as you keep the original to match the paperwork. And, if you want to change the caliber or barrel length in the future you can send an update to the ATF informing them of the changes to the gun. That way if you ever decide to sell the upper you still have your NFA registered lower.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Franson Firearms

Post by Franson Firearms »

I do custom engraving and know all the rules.
email me or visit my website for more information about me.
(although engraving is not listed on my website :oops: )
$10 per line. plus return postage
(Or $25 per sq inch for designs)

http://www.fransonfirearms.com
[email protected]