school me in the SBR process

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Jon89

school me in the SBR process

Post by Jon89 »

So I am wanting to SBR an AR style rifle but am a completely new to this. Feel free to correct me if any of my thinking is wrong here.

I would engrave my lower then send in my form 1 or the other way around? regular 200 tax stamp and same process as a suppressor

The lower would be the only part of the gun that is engraved allowing me to own as many short uppers as i want correct? There isn't a limit.

Here is where i feel like a am flawed and just have to much wishful thinking. If i get stationed somewhere they do not allow SBR's can I throw my short uppers in the closet and have say a 16in upper attached the whole time while in that state?

I feel like that is a dumb question and the answer is NO but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Re: school me in the SBR process

Post by yamatitan »

Jon89 wrote:So I am wanting to SBR an AR style rifle but am a completely new to this. Feel free to correct me if any of my thinking is wrong here.

I would engrave my lower then send in my form 1 or the other way around? regular 200 tax stamp and same process as a suppressor

The lower would be the only part of the gun that is engraved allowing me to own as many short uppers as i want correct? There isn't a limit.

Here is where i feel like a am flawed and just have to much wishful thinking. If i get stationed somewhere they do not allow SBR's can I throw my short uppers in the closet and have say a 16in upper attached the whole time while in that state?

I feel like that is a dumb question and the answer is NO but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.
You can either engrave first or send the form first doesnt really matter. Most people like to engrave first because one less hassle to ship a SBR especially if it gets lost in the mail if you dont have a local engraver. Two if they mess up of the engraving you can just start over with a new lower and not have a wasted tax stamp. Yes regular 200 bucks.

Yes that is correct you can put as many uppers as you want on that lower. Just be able to return it to the original status that is on your form 1.

Yes the ATF has said that if you put a 16" upper on it the rifle is no longer a SBR.
Jon89

Post by Jon89 »

Sweet looks like I finally settled on my new project for the summer :D

Thanks for the information
fsteinba

Post by fsteinba »

You can put a 16" upper on it and it isn't an SBR anymore, but I wouldn't take it AND the short barrel uppers into a state that does not allow SBRs.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nationa ... tguns.html
Q: If I remove the short barrel from my SBR or SBS, may I move the firearm across state lines without the submission of ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport or to Temporarily Export Certain Firearms?

If the registrant retains control over the parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm is still be subject to all requirements of the NFA. ATF recommends contacting law enforcement officials in the destination state to ensure compliance with state and local law.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

what do you list as length of barrel and overall length on the Form 1? Just whichever length you want to buy first??
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come