'BEST' 556 Silencer

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

What 5.56 maker do you stand by?

AAC
65%
SWR
10%
GEMTECH
3%
YHM
3%
KAC
13%
SUREFIRE
6%

Total votes: 31

bg556
Silent Operator

'BEST' 556 Silencer

Post by bg556 »

I was once told by a distributor that when it comes to 5.56 suppressors, they all sound relatively the same. Obviously some companies will be quieter than others, but not by a lot. It was explained that the materials and construction or what really sets them apart. Anyone with experience in such things wanna enlighten me to whether or not this is true?
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Re: 'BEST' 556 Silencer

Post by kapkanimd »

AAC SPR/M4....
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

bg556 wrote:I was once told by a distributor that when it comes to 5.56 suppressors, they all sound relatively the same. Obviously some companies will be quieter than others, but not by a lot. It was explained that the materials and construction or what really sets them apart. Anyone with experience in such things wanna enlighten me to whether or not this is true?
When I buy a .22lr can, sound reduction is usually my #1 priority, with 5.56, it's like the 4th or 5th most important factor for me, following POI shift, repeatable zero, flash reduction and weight...then I care about sound reduction. Simply saying "this company has the quietest" might be the most important thing for plinking, but not necessarily for any type of combative use.
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

bg556 wrote:I was once told by a distributor that when it comes to 5.56 suppressors, they all sound relatively the same. Obviously some companies will be quieter than others, but not by a lot. It was explained that the materials and construction or what really sets them apart. Anyone with experience in such things wanna enlighten me to whether or not this is true?
It's true.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Not completely true. Are they all still perceived as relatively "loud"? Sure, the flight noise of a supersonic 5.56 round is very loud. That said, shoot a YHM Phantom next to an M4-2000 and there is a big difference.

Also, in rifle cans, beyond sound, the differences come down to size/weight/materials/construction/mount,etc... there are many other factors to consider. And the difference from unsuppressed to suppressed is still huge.
Kick Ass Design
bg556
Silent Operator

Post by bg556 »

I understand there is a lot to consider and 'best' will be relative to the buyer. In my opinion AAC is top notch, cans don't get much better (Would love to own one but just a bit out of my price range for the time being). And comparing a mid-level can to a M4-2000 is like racing a Honda Civic against a Ferarri; no completition.
dmtsc
Silent But Deadly

Post by dmtsc »

forgot Ops Inc
AAC 762SD, EVO 9 ,PILOT. Gemtech M4-96D, OutbackII, Ops Inc 12th, Ops Inc 3rd Model, Multimount and 2 TBA Mk2 integrals. Ops Inc. M4-s, Gemtech Mk9-k on the way for MP5K, KAC MP5SD can coming also