best 22lr ar-15 SBR upper

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

best 22lr ar-15 SBR upper

Post by rogerxd45 »

so i have a 5.56 ar-15 SBR and i would really like to get a 22lr upper for it so i can use my suppressor on it and it would be very cheap to shoot.

ive done some searching but have not found much.

also my suppressor is a tactical innovations tac-65 which does not have thread relief so the barrel needs to be threaded properly to allow it to shoulder correctly

my ar-15 is a CMMG and ive heard good things about their 22 uppers but they do not currently make a short upper
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: best 22lr ar-15 SBR upper

Post by Bendersquint »

rogerxd45 wrote:so i have a 5.56 ar-15 SBR and i would really like to get a 22lr upper for it so i can use my suppressor on it and it would be very cheap to shoot.

ive done some searching but have not found much.

also my suppressor is a tactical innovations tac-65 which does not have thread relief so the barrel needs to be threaded properly to allow it to shoulder correctly

my ar-15 is a CMMG and ive heard good things about their 22 uppers but they do not currently make a short upper
Why not purchase one of their upper or any upper and have it cut to the length you want it? Then you can get EXACTLY what you want without having to compromise.

-B
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

I love my Spikes Tactical but understand they aren't being sold any more.

Friend of mine just picked up a lighty used one. Great upper. And being direct blowback, you can cut / re-shoulder how you want.

Some people have trouble with their uppers functioning going under 8" I went 10" and it runs fine. Others will say even 5" is fine. Do your own research, make your own decision.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Here is some good reading and pictures to get you going
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=66153
and here
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=56568
JimmyB
Silent Operator

Post by JimmyB »

I’ve found the Nordic NC-22 upper to be the most reliable 22 upper out there

You will need to have the barrel removed and shortened. While they’re at it, the barrel can be threaded with the right relief

Also, you can put the same hand guard as your 5.56 on the Nordic

I’m in the process of moving and can’t post a picture at this time but my 5.56 and 22 are set up identical
This was done for cross training purposes. And No, malfunction drills are not the same but everything else is
Solothurn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Solothurn »

I had Redtazdog make me a 4.5" .22LR barrel threaded for the 22Sparrow and convert my Ciener conversion for it. I'm tickled to death with it.

Send him a IM on this board. He will make what you want.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

has anyone used one of these kits?

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/category ... r-Kits-197

its a cmmg but without the barrel, whats a good place for a cheap 22lr barrel?
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Solothurn wrote:I had Redtazdog make me a 4.5" .22LR barrel threaded for the 22Sparrow and convert my Ciener conversion for it. I'm tickled to death with it.

Send him a IM on this board. He will make what you want.
X2. I sent him all the parts and he even assembeled the upper for me. It will be cheaper than buying the barrel-less cmmg upper kit.