what 22 semi pistol is most reliable with subsonic ammo?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

nickeldicker
Silent Operator

what 22 semi pistol is most reliable with subsonic ammo?

Post by nickeldicker »

have a can on form 4 pending....i curently have a p22...but what works best with subsonic 22 ammo... im kinda dissapointed with the p22 in general...i find it a very middle of the road pistol...thanks
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Re: what 22 semi pistol is most reliable with subsonic ammo?

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ruger MkIII 22/45 with 4" barrel works great :D Keeps just about everything subsonic (even high velocity when the weather cooperates). I don't even bother with subsonic ammo in it, though I do use CCI Standards as well as the HV stuff.
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Post by ronin111 »

nickeldicker wrote:have a can on form 4 pending....i curently have a p22...but what works best with subsonic 22 ammo... im kinda dissapointed with the p22 in general...i find it a very middle of the road pistol...thanks
I'm not sure if you're asking about actual subsonic or ammo that stays subsonic in a pistol. A lot of subsonic ammo will not cycle a semi-auto. Most high velocity ammo will stay subsonic in a short barrel though. The two pistols that are usually recommended are the Ruger Mark I/II/II or the Browning Buckmark. The Ruger has more after market parts but the barrel on the Browning can easily be replaced with a threaded version. I find the accuracy to be about the same. Most people try to stay at 4" to keep bulk ammo subsonic.

What don't you like about the P22?
ryknoll3
Silent Operator

Post by ryknoll3 »

I have a P22 and have very good luck with Federal bulk pack from Walmart and CCI Standards or MiniMags. All cycle reliably and all stay subsonic with my AAC Prodigy.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

the best 22 pistol ive used is a Ruger charger, in case you dont know what it is, its a 10/22 in a pistol setup.
mine has a 5.5"threaded barrel
it is crazy accurate for a 22lr pistol and works with pretty much any ammo. i bought a guide rod/cocking handle thing that came with 3 different spring rates so you can use the -10% spring the regular and the +10% spring. ive only used the regular spring and it will still cycle sub sonic ammo with no problem. plus hi caps are awesome.

i also have a custom one that i built that is going to be a 8.75" SBR once the atf gets off their but and approves my form 1 (its been over three months, which is my longest wait yet) the great thing about the 10/22 charger pistol set up is you can build one out of all aftermarket parts, the SBR im waiting on is currently set up as a pistol. it has absolutely zero ruger parts.....well except when i use ruger mags, the receiver is a zimmerman arms one where the rail is actually part of the receiver, just a solid chunk of aluminium.

here are some pictures

the top one is the custom soon to be SBR and the bottom is the ruger with a aftermarket threaded barrel

just to show you how accurate these guns can be here is a picture of a 5 shot group @ 25 yards with my custom built one....keep in mind it does have a 3oz-6oz two stage kidd trigger, which IMO is the best 10/22 trigger made. this was my dream 10/22 pistol/sbr so i bought the best of everything so its groups will probably be better then the average 10/22 charger

this is with subsonic ammo BTW

okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

Another vote for the MK III 22/45.
I have shot most suppressed .22 pistols out there and am very happy with my MK III.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

MK III 22/45 here. Reliable and accurate as hell. Sounds great with my Element. I also like that it has the same control layout and grip angle as the 1911. There are now .22 1911's but they tend to be more expensive and less reliable, so this is sort of a best of all worlds.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

rogerxd45 wrote:the best 22 pistol ive used is a Ruger charger, in case you dont know what it is, its a 10/22 in a pistol setup.
mine has a 5.5"threaded barrel
it is crazy accurate for a 22lr pistol and works with pretty much any ammo. i bought a guide rod/cocking handle thing that came with 3 different spring rates so you can use the -10% spring the regular and the +10% spring. ive only used the regular spring and it will still cycle sub sonic ammo with no problem. plus hi caps are awesome.

i also have a custom one that i built that is going to be a 8.75" SBR once the atf gets off their but and approves my form 1 (its been over three months, which is my longest wait yet) the great thing about the 10/22 charger pistol set up is you can build one out of all aftermarket parts, the SBR im waiting on is currently set up as a pistol. it has absolutely zero ruger parts.....well except when i use ruger mags, the receiver is a zimmerman arms one where the rail is actually part of the receiver, just a solid chunk of aluminium.

here are some pictures

the top one is the custom soon to be SBR and the bottom is the ruger with a aftermarket threaded barrel

just to show you how accurate these guns can be here is a picture of a 5 shot group @ 25 yards with my custom built one....keep in mind it does have a 3oz-6oz two stage kidd trigger, which IMO is the best 10/22 trigger made. this was my dream 10/22 pistol/sbr so i bought the best of everything so its groups will probably be better then the average 10/22 charger

this is with subsonic ammo BTW

What scope do you have on the top one?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

My Beretta Neos has never jammed using subsonic or standard velocity ammo.

CSF
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
mabpi
Silent Operator

I vote for the Ruger

Post by mabpi »

Would have liked to have had a Mark II, but got the III. Very quiet....

Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Re: I vote for the Ruger

Post by Abiqua »

mabpi wrote:Would have liked to have had a Mark II, but got the III. Very quiet....
I like the placement of the mag release better on the MKIII. By swapping out the hammer bushing with a MKII version you defeat the mag disconnect and take out the slop in the trigger. I also dropped in a VQ trigger and sear and it's a pretty sweet shooter.
I put a couple thousand rounds of CCI SV , Winchester and SK Standard+ thru mine over the last two weeks between cleanings and the only issue I had was misfeeds with bulk pack Remington ammo that a friend brought. We switched back to my ammo and no more problems.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

the top one has been changed to an SBR, i was just waiting on the paperwork to clear.

heres a couple pics.....even though they are complectly irrelevant to this thread (well i guess it does shot you that if you get a ruger charger you can always make a really good SBR set u....plus my form came this week so i am excited and want to show it off. the stock is a temporary one i took off my ar-15 SBR until i can decide and afford the stock i want.... kinda want to get sometrhing that folds) I will admit that the charger is big and bulky but unless you need a small pistol i belive the charger is a very good choice.
-TONS of aftermarket stuff to set it up exactly how you want it

-with a little work they can be VERY accurate.i belive they are probably the most accurate pistol in their price range
-cheap hi cap mags that you can use on your 10/22 rifle (this assuming you have one....when everyone should own at least 1 10/22
-works almost all ammo, it will shoot ammo my friends mkII wont cycle properly as well as ammo my p22 also
- two stage triggers available down to 3oz!! (like mine :-)
-pretty much any barrel you want you can get, twist length color, profile, flutes....you get the idea. You can even pick the shape and number of the lands and groves with custom barrel makers at a decent price
-very easy to mount any sights to, you can have ar-15 like irons, red dots, pistol scopes, rifle scopes, the factory sights that can be upgraded to fiber optics and such if you want.... pretty much any kind of sight is possible to mount on a charger
-last but not least its a s--t load of fun and is a GREAT suppressor host (i can actually hold the bolt shut with my hand while firing to prevent the noise from the action.... they actually make a part the basicly turns it into a bolt action, you push the button down and pull the trigger and the part prevents the bolt from moving)

the mkII is also a good choice but i just honestly think the charger is the better gun for me its up to you to decide what features you want in a pistol. but you should deffinitly go with either get the mkI/mkII/MKIII or the ruger charger, im sure you will be happy with either.

ideally you should shoot both (as well as other pistols) to see what you like best.

so what are you looking for in a 22lr pistol other then you want to use subsonic ammo?

robrob
Silent Operator

Post by robrob »

I'm pretty happy with my Browning Buckmark. The only ammo I've had a problem with as far as functioning is Fiocchi subsonic which will fail to fire in the pistol and my several 10/22s. I get a good rim strike just no fire.