SBS double barrel

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

SBS double barrel

Post by rogerxd45 »

ok so i got this gun from my grandfather when he died, but in 1968 my grandfather had the barrels welded shut. Its pretty cool the paperwork saying the gun has been deactivated is through the IRS since the ATF wasnt created until 1972.

well anyways i love how the gun looks and would really like a modern version of it. i have thought about getting the NFA tax stamp and re-activating it but its an old gun and i would only be able to shoot 2",2 1/4", 2 1/2" and 2 9/16" low pressure loads. all of those are expensive and hard to find. I want to be able to shoot at least 2 3/4", i would also like the option of shooting 3" sheels but thats not a big requirment since shooting 3" magnum shells in a short barreled pistol grip gun for more then a round or two starts to hurt

here are some pictures of it

here it is with my 14 " mossberg 590a1 AOW

here it is with my Damascus double that i also got from my grandfather

and last is a family shot with a few of my shotguns

the top one is a 870 Remington super-mag with a 19" vent rib barrel (i shot some 3.5" buck shot through it which is 2 1/4 ounce (just a hair under 1000 grains) and 18 OO buck pellets @ 1400 fps. VERY powerful rounds, that hurt like a b****)

second one is a mossberg 590a1 with a 14" heavy barrel

third is the double that is welded shut

fourth is the Damascus double barrel

sorry i got a bit sidetracked but back to the point. i want to build something like the short double barrel, but i havent had any luck finding a reasonably priced double barrel shotgun i can use. I would really appreciate some help finding something.

what im looking for
-wood stock, (preferably something i can buy an extra of so i can shoot it with the stock and without) that i can cut down to make a pistol grip out of
-i want one that has external hammers
-capable of shooting at least 2 3/4" ammo, preferably something that can shoot 3" also
i dont care if its used or new, but i just dont know who makes a modern double thats at least somewhat affordable

and something that i dont have to sell a kidney to buy, plus i wouldnt want to cut up a really beautiful gun. A piece of art should not be cut up.

any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by rogerxd45 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR double barrel

Post by WasDustyJacket »

That would be an SBS not SBR.

The coach gun used to have external hammers (in the mid 80s) but now they are internal firing pins.
See: http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firear ... h_guns.php

You might search around for a coach gun from the mid 1980s for external hammers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

CZ makes a beautiful case-hardened double external hammer coach gun.
It is pricey but I may look into getting one.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/ham ... -hardened/
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBS double barrel

Post by rogerxd45 »

thanks for the correction
i just got my wisdom teeth pulled so im a little out of it and accidently put SBR instead of SBS

as for the external hammers.... having them is not a big deal, i would be ok with out them.
how do you cock a coach gun without external hammers? I have never shot one without hammers so i have no idea how they work.
who knows if i had a chance to play with one without hammers, i might actually like it more

so stoger would be a good place to start my search? any other companies i should look at?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

How about this one: Hammer Coach

The internal hammer types cock during the process of closing it from a broken down state. Some don't like this because it is always cocked when loaded.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

The "hammerless" shotguns have the hammers inside the reciever. They are cocked when you open the barrels. There are two small levers that stick out the front of the reciever that are pushed down by the forend. The levers push on a rod that cocks the hammers.

Here is my Stoger 12ga.

Jk
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
mabpi
Silent Operator

Post by mabpi »

The topic has been touched on several times on ST, which is where I got the idea to use a Rossi Overland for my SBS. No safety on the Overland and the hammers are fully functional.

viewtopic.php?t=16619

Good reading on sbs's with hammers vs without.

I decided to keep a full stock, the length of which I indicated on the form 1. It came back and I had less work to do. Guess I could always go back and cut some wood if I change my mind. A few pics of my Overland with its 11" barrels (blurred the engraving.......)

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

J Krammes wrote:The "hammerless" shotguns have the hammers inside the reciever. They are cocked when you open the barrels. There are two small levers that stick out the front of the reciever that are pushed down by the forend. The levers push on a rod that cocks the hammers.

Here is my Stoger 12ga.

Jk
Thats just plain sexy! Added to my list for sure!

Will complement the SSS nicely!

-B
US Ranger

Post by US Ranger »

Does the SBS need to have the shoulder stock still attached? If the barrels are shortened and the grip changed to a pistol grip, does it then become an AOW?
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

A gun that has or had a sholder stock can NEVER be an AOW. An AOW must start out with a pistol grip, or have nothing attached from the factory. Mark Serbu gets his 870 recievers from Remington with no stock or grip attached. That is how the super shortys are AOW's.

Jk
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
US Ranger

Post by US Ranger »

Maybe wrong term..convert a shotgun with a shoulder stock by shortening barrel to less than 18" and convert to pistol grip. I believe is called a "Weapon from a Shotgun", $200 stamp (thought I had seen that as another version of AOW).
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

US Ranger wrote:Maybe wrong term..convert a shotgun with a shoulder stock by shortening barrel to less than 18" and convert to pistol grip. I believe is called a "Weapon from a Shotgun", $200 stamp (thought I had seen that as another version of AOW).
That would be a SBS=short barreled shotgun.