SBR a scar 17s

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

lmurtha1
Silent Operator

SBR a scar 17s

Post by lmurtha1 »

questions on my scar 17s. I just got my paperwork back for my AAC SD and SBR workings. So Im about to send my barrel off and I have a question. a reputable company can cut the barrel down to FN's standard of 13" -with gas block work of course-, but they do a special cut of 10.5" with a custom gas block overhaul specifically for the scar 17. Anyway, down to the dirty. I have many SBR's but none in a .308 and Ive never imagined a 10.5" in .308. I would do it for a shits and giggles gun to play around with, but what do you think of having it that short in that caliber?

Anyone know how much the ballistics would change etc.. from 13" to 10.5" in .308. also, does anyone know of anyone cutting it down that short in this caliber.

Thanks guys.

-Lydon
"A bullet sounds the same in every language"
jurist
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR a scar 17s

Post by jurist »

I can't comment on the ballistics. That said, the HK51 is shorter than 10.5" and is fairly common and functions reliable. That said, it is a FIRE BREATHER which is fun but has its limits of usefulness. . Personally if it was my gun I'd stick with the 13" as I'd shoot it suppressed and wouldn't do it suppressed on a 10.5". All that said, I'd much rather have additional barrels available for the Scar 17. Sucks that FN does make them available.
TSI Consulting
GLOCK Certified Armorer
FFL/SOT
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

hootiewho has a SCAR-17s CQC that looks (and he says) works great. He is on lightfighter and NFA talk for sure, maybe m4c and here as well.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
bonebreak2000
Silent But Deadly

Post by bonebreak2000 »

You might wanna give the guys at AAC a call to make sure there isnt a pressure problem with going that short on the barrel for that can. I know you can use it on a 16 inch barrel but a 10.5 might be kinda nuts.
Gardner

Post by Gardner »

I say go for it.

I SBR'd my Ma-Ten to a 10.5" using a Douglas barrel. Shoots like a dream with or without the can. I had YHM install the FH. I got the all clear and a warranty from YHM.

Waiting for the stamp, You would not believe all the people who told me :

1 Bullets will not stabilize.
2 Rifle wont run right
3 YHM will not warranty a barrel shorter than 10.5"
4 My Blast baffle will be toast
5 Ballistics will suck

Its a bad mother.Period.
Almost 3K down the tube still smiling.

I did ditch the UBR and the AFG for a CTR and some ladder. . Too much stock for an SBR and I could never get used to the AFG.

bonebreak2000
Silent But Deadly

Post by bonebreak2000 »

thing is pretty.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Nice.

I know I have no practical use for one... but I want one.
What gas port size did you end up with? Whose barrel, and was it a factory 10.5"
Gardner

Post by Gardner »

Adam at Ballistic Advantage turned and drilled the barrel for me from a Douglas blank.
Technically its 10.3" and the gas port size I do not know but its a very soft shooter compared to lets say a DPMS LR.
I have a MGI gas tube with the adjustment set so it runs good with and without the can. Also a cut down and hollowed out SS Spikes 9mm buffer with tungsten inside.
This and the Draco SBR are my two favorite SA rifles to blast steel with. I roll my own ammo in .308 so there is really no fireball like there is with the Draco.

Anyways, not trying to hijack this thread. Its just so rare to see a .308 AR platform SBR. I wish more would take the plunge.
Once you shoot one.......

and the SCAR 17 SBR will be business for sure.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I like it a lot. I may give adam a call here...
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

that ma ten is making me rock hard!!!!!!! nice job!!!
its quiet time!
dbrown
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dbrown »

Gardner - Great looking gun. I have been wanting to take the plunge for awhile now. Haven't gotten around to it yet. What kind of range can you get on this?
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I'd really like to know what it chronos at with some factory 168-175s
Gardner

Post by Gardner »

Range? I just shoot AR500 pretty close. My favorite thing to do with all the SBR's.

I am heading up to Gunsight Hills around Thanksgiving so maybe I can chrono my loads there and get some LR shooting in. I will run a 1.5-5Mk4 up there.

I load Hornady, Speer and Sierra 168's with Varget . Since I SBR'd it I've never put the scope back on it and gone long.
Just to much fun banging steel close in.