Building 10.5" 5.56 Upper...need buffer recommendation.

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

nismo542
Silent Operator

Building 10.5" 5.56 Upper...need buffer recommendation.

Post by nismo542 »

i have all parts except for the buffer? i don't plan to do a suppressor. been looking at the ST-T2. Input greatly appreciated from the 10.5 crowd, on what works for you and seems to be dependable.

thanks.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Re: Building 10.5" 5.56 Upper...need buffer recommendation.

Post by J Krammes »

What barrel are you using? Do not use the ST-2. I have seen to many issues where that buffer is being used. It does not work like a regular buffer. Get yourself an H or an H2. My 10.5 runs great on the H, but I went up to the H3 because of the bolt not locking back when running suppressed.

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

I'd start with an H2 and go either up or down from there. Stay away from that ST-T2 crap.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

JohnnyC wrote:I'd start with an H2 and go either up or down from there. Stay away from that ST-T2 crap.
This is your answer. I run an H2 in my 10.3" Colt. Runs great with or without the can.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
nismo542
Silent Operator

Post by nismo542 »

DesertRat wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:I'd start with an H2 and go either up or down from there. Stay away from that ST-T2 crap.
This is your answer. I run an H2 in my 10.3" Colt. Runs great with or without the can.[/quote

Thanks a lot for the input. Which h2 are you running? I do use some low power ammo for the range, would I better of with a lighter buffer?
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

What's wrong with the ST-T2? I have those in two of my AR's with no problems yet, what issues have you seen with them?
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

ST-T2's are just a gimmick. There's no real benefit. The tungsten powder doesn't leave room for the "weight" to move correctly within the buffer, it's also slightly lighter than an H2, and variations in actual weight have been reported. The weights aren't just added mass to the buffer, it's the movement of the weights that makes a difference as well. Same reason that a 9mm buffer in a gas gun isn't a good idea either.

87GN did some high speed video of the ST-T2 causing MORE bolt bounce than any of the standard weighted buffers. There have been anecdotal posts about leaking tungsten powder but I would dismiss those as random occurrences.

In the end you get no benefit by going with an ST-T2 over an H or an H2, but you can potentially have bolt bounce issues. There's just no scientific basis for the ST-T2 showing any improvement in the function of the weapon, you're better off going with a proven buffer like an H or H2. It's just marketing. I'm sure you'd be happy with one in a semi-auto weapon, and I doubt you could specifically narrow down any failures to the buffer like you can with an Enidine buffer, but why bother when you can get something proven functional just as easily.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

What buffer does the company that makes the barrel use in their rifle?

The correct answer really depends on the gas port size, but generally I prefer an H2 for an SBR.
nismo542
Silent Operator

Post by nismo542 »

J Krammes wrote:What barrel are you using? Do not use the ST-2. I have seen to many issues where that buffer is being used. It does not work like a regular buffer. Get yourself an H or an H2. My 10.5 runs great on the H, but I went up to the H3 because of the bolt not locking back when running suppressed.

Jeremy
I am using 10.5 yhm fluted barrel.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

nismo542 wrote:
DesertRat wrote:
This is your answer. I run an H2 in my 10.3" Colt. Runs great with or without the can.[/quote

Thanks a lot for the input. Which h2 are you running? I do use some low power ammo for the range, would I better of with a lighter buffer?
I use a Colt H2. I'm sure an H2 from any credible outfit (LMT, Bravo) will work just as well.

Can't help you on the lighter ammo. I shoot 5.56 exclusively.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

i run a standard buffer since thats what i had used on my 18" upper before i sold it so i already had one and figur,ed i would try it first before spending money on a new one....well it turns out it runs great, i have run many different brands through of ammo through my 10.3" SBR. I was going to get a H buffer but since the standard worked perfectly i didnt see the point in buying a new one.

if i was building from scratch i would probably try the H buffer first
nismo542
Silent Operator

Post by nismo542 »

rogerxd45 wrote:i run a standard buffer since thats what i had used on my 18" upper before i sold it so i already had one and figur,ed i would try it first before spending money on a new one....well it turns out it runs great, i have run many different brands through of ammo through my 10.3" SBR. I was going to get a H buffer but since the standard worked perfectly i didnt see the point in buying a new one.

if i was building from scratch i would probably try the H buffer first
I think I will start with an h3. I have a standard buffer in my 16". If the h3 is too heavy, I should be able to swap around some weights between it and my standard buffer to end up with an h2 and a h. I looked at the colt h3, it has three tungsten weights. The lighter buffers have one or two fewer tungsten weights replaced by steel weights to make an h2 or h. Maybe I can do that with my other buffer.

Anybody know where I can find a colt h3?

Midway is out. Bravo company carries one but I don't know if they use the same weight system as colt.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

An H3 from BCM will be the same thing as one from Colt. Paul does things the right way. You'll be fine with BCM.
nismo542
Silent Operator

Post by nismo542 »

Thanks for the input! I went with the colt h2 to start with.
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I'm not sure what the issue is with the standard buffer is with the 10.5? I just got my stamp back after five months and took it out and I didnt have any issues with it. Mine is all rockriver parts, I tried my YHM .308 Phantom and my TAC16 which sounded amazing. A little off topic but that TAC16 can sounds great. I would try your set up first then worry about issues. Also these SBR's are my new favarite toys to take out , add a red dot and you have the perfect zombie gun. :D
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

The sliding weights reduce bolt bounce and are more needed as the gas system length goes down and the cyclic rate goes up.
nismo542
Silent Operator

Post by nismo542 »

went to the range today and tested out the h2 colt buffer on my 10.5". it worked great, no issues after i got the upper nice and lubed, first time it has been shot.

thanks for all the input, its nice to get it right the first time.