gearing up for my first SBR (either a sig, RRA or ACR)

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

zakk
Silent But Deadly

gearing up for my first SBR (either a sig, RRA or ACR)

Post by zakk »

Sooo I finally got my life pointed back in the correct direction. I'm starting to save money for my first SBR Ive narrowed it down to either a SIG 556 pistol with a stock, RRA PDS SBR or an ACR. I really like the forward charging handle and I want a piston gun. I like the 300blk capability with the ACR/AR, the safety on the ACR/SIG. But also like a lot about the rock river and AR platform (own one DGI AR at the moment) but I want to run a can eventually and from what I've read (not much with no laptop and less time) is that the PDS isn't can ready yet. Also I'm not sure of the barrel length options. So if anyone has anything resembling what I'm after could you share some pics or input? The overview of what I want is: 11.5" barrel(+/- an inch) piston driven, suppressor capable (down the line) and I would like the ability to run 300blk but that's not the most important thing. I wouldn't be opposed to building a custom gun on a registered lower, but I really like the forward charging handle.
pruitt0212

Re: gearing up for my first SBR (either a sig, RRA or ACR)

Post by pruitt0212 »

zakk wrote:Sooo I finally got my life pointed back in the correct direction. I'm starting to save money for my first SBR Ive narrowed it down to either a SIG 556 pistol with a stock, RRA PDS SBR or an ACR. I really like the forward charging handle and I want a piston gun. I like the 300blk capability with the ACR/AR, the safety on the ACR/SIG. But also like a lot about the rock river and AR platform (own one DGI AR at the moment) but I want to run a can eventually and from what I've read (not much with no laptop and less time) is that the PDS isn't can ready yet. Also I'm not sure of the barrel length options. So if anyone has anything resembling what I'm after could you share some pics or input? The overview of what I want is: 11.5" barrel(+/- an inch) piston driven, suppressor capable (down the line) and I would like the ability to run 300blk but that's not the most important thing. I wouldn't be opposed to building a custom gun on a registered lower, but I really like the forward charging handle.
Sorry for the delay in posting up a picture. Here is my Sig 556 SBR that I built up. I run it with my AAC M4-2000 and personally feel like it suppresses well. I will say that I do personally love this gun. In all honestly, if you are looking for a rifle that you will be able to suppress and will be convertible to 300BLK I would say the LMT MRP CQB is by far your best option. You can get one that is piston driven (shortest you can go with their piston system is 12"). You will be able to switch out your rifle in about 2 minutes between 5.56, 6.8 and 300BLK as they will be making 300BLK barrels in the very near future. If you get a .30cal suppressor (like the 762SD-N6) you will be able to run all three calibers through the one can. No forward charging handle, but in my opinion it would be the best choice for you hands down. Hope it helps. Good luck.

There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men. - Edmund Burke
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

Thanks, ill have too look into the lmt. I plan to go with a,30 cal can so i can use it on my 700 tactical as well. Very nice rifle BTW.
bigdog2003_99
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigdog2003_99 »

personally i like my acr alot, it uses a modified ar15 barrel and runs like a champ

zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

That's a damn sexy acr. Can you modify any AR barrel? Wouldnt mind an acr with a noveske barrel maybe a 11.5 556 and 300blk barrel to swap between. Possibly an 18 in pair for a DMR set up. I like the versatility
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

Any thouhgts on the adcor bear
warjunky1428
Silent But Deadly

Post by warjunky1428 »

What does it take to mod an ar barrel to work accurately and reliably with an ACR?
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
bigdog2003_99
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigdog2003_99 »

the acr uses a lightly modified ar15 barrel, i used a screw to reduce the gas flow, you also have to have a notch put on the barrel to accept the piston guide plus the slots to hold the gas block pins
burton

Post by burton »

if you ever decide you can live with out the forward charging handle, I'd not overlook the Novekse 8" 300 Blackout guns. For the price, you're getting a top-quality weapon in an exciting and effective SBR caliber...

OR simply build yourself with a registered SBR lower, an upper receiver of your choice, and an 8" Novekse SS 300 Blackout barrel. Have Gun Gallery or someone build it for you with the 7" rail of your choice. I like the KAC URX II. Gun measures right @ 24 inches collapsed.

Once built, when shooting unsurpressed, you'll find 300 BLK muzzle blast is surprisingly mild...(in my direct experience, 300 BLK from an 8" DI is considerably milder than 5.56 out of 10" piston gun (HK416))...I'd estimate it to be @ 20% less noise/concussion, when the two are fired side-by-side. As for the effectiveness of the 5.56 vs. 300 BLK in such a short barrel, I'll leave that to the experts...

IMO the Sig 556 SBR is nice, but just a tad too heavy...@9 lbs....vs. the above, which comes in @ 7. Still very nice if you decide to go that route.

Anyway, after completion, the above I've described would look something like this:

After researching everything to the point of absurdity, and wanting to have the coolest/most fun SBR I could for the $$$, that's what I came up with.

Add the new Surefire 762 Mini or a 762SD-N6 to this thing, and dang...you're sitting pretty.

Anyway, all the best, and good luck no matter what you end up choosing :)
Last edited by burton on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gardner

Post by Gardner »

Nice looking stick Burton.
The old carbine stock is a nice touch on a no nonsense rifle.
burton

Post by burton »

This one isnt mine...in fact this is actually an oddball KAC SR-635, chambered for KAC's 6x35

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=54102

Long story short though, when you take an 8" 300" BLK barrel combined with a 7" KAC URX II on an SBR upper, toss on a KAC Hand Sto, you get something very similar in visual appearance.

This pic below is post tensioned's from the 300blktalk forum...I hope he wont mind me posting it here....anyway, the weapon on the bottom was the inspiration for what I am referring to in my post above. Its such a slick, clean, no-nonsense little set-up...and not cost prohibitive by any means.

While not piston driven, I'm not sure how necessary that will even be...heck, I think even LWRC's 'lil 8" BLK gun (below) is DI.

All the best,

B
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

very nice, i fell in love with the ma ten though and that's my next project, is there a 30 cal drop in piston set up like the adams arms set up?
lmurtha1
Silent Operator

Post by lmurtha1 »

Buy a SCAR 17 heavy and get it with a 13.5" barrel and be done with it. Throw on a AAC Sdn-6 suppressor and a Leupold Mark 8 optics and call it a day. That's what i did and i dont even feel the need to pick up another rifle in my safe because it doesn't compare.. my go to when SHTF
"A bullet sounds the same in every language"
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

the scar idea recently occurred to me. got any pics and about what do they go for? I would like to get a custom finish though if i went with the scar I think besides duracoat what options do I have?