SBR and SBS on the same frame (Handi Rifle)?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

SBR and SBS on the same frame (Handi Rifle)?

Post by Lindenwood »

I have been thinking about building a SBR Handi Rifle. Out of curiosity, would it then be legal to put a short shotgun barrel on the same frame? Just thought it would be neat, heh.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: SBR and SBS on the same frame (Handi Rifle)?

Post by Bendersquint »

Lindenwood wrote:I have been thinking about building a SBR Handi Rifle. Out of curiosity, would it then be legal to put a short shotgun barrel on the same frame? Just thought it would be neat, heh.
A serial number can only be 1 item, pick one and pick up another handi rifle and do the other with that one.

Issue has come up with the T/C Contenders as well.

-B
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Okay that's what I thought! Thank you! I've been waiting days to get that answer from two different forums :P . I only remembered tonight that you guys might know, heh.

I don't have any particularly strong desire for an SBS Handi, but I figured if I could have one for an extra $95 (or less, if I buy a used barrel and fit it myself), why not? But, I kindof wanted to try a .44 Handi with like a 6-8" barrel.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

I do wish we could do something about this. I had a similar idea and had to scrap it. The response from the BATFE was essentially that if it has both barrels and is break-action or otherwise each barrel is single-shot and needs to be manually reloaded (bolt, break, etc.), both barrels can be shortened as an AOW. If it's rifled and one barrel, SBR. If it's smooth and one barrel, SBS. If it can accept both smooth and rifled barrels but only one at a time, pick one or the other - you CANNOT pay the tax twice on the same receiver and have it for SBS/SBR - I tried. :(
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

This makes me sad. I was going to wait until they worked out the kinks with the ATI .410 AR upper and was planning on putting that on my SBR lower.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

srt-4_uk wrote:This makes me sad. I was going to wait until they worked out the kinks with the ATI .410 AR upper and was planning on putting that on my SBR lower.
It is a bummer but unfortunately it makes an SBS.

Wish it were different, there are alot of cool platforms that we could play with then!

-B
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Other than the AR and various single-shot weapons, none really come to mind. What else would it really change if an overall "short barreled weapon" category were made?
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

This is all news to me.

I was going to do the same thing with the 410 upper, have it cut down, choked and put it on my 7.5 AR.

Why wouldn't it just be a caliber change?

Can I ever put a rifled barreled on my SBS? What I am specifically talking about is a regular 20" rifled barrel.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....