SBS how short/long?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

eeeninja

SBS how short/long?

Post by eeeninja » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:34 am

I'm thinking of doing an SBS build off from either a Stoeger Coach Gun or maybe a Condor.

Primarily I want to have something that is reasonable to shoot, yet short enough to put into a custom belt holster. Though most likely I'd be shooting aguila mini shells but it may see a 2 3/4" shell from time to time.

What length are most people cutting their SBS's to? I figure if I'm going to go short, I might as well make it noticeably short. I was thinking somewhere in the 8" range.

Chad McCumbers
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBS how short/long?

Post by Chad McCumbers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:10 pm

The majority of SxS SBS that I do end up in the 10-12" bbl range. It is important to consider the location of the fore end hanger on the bbls, as well as the length of the existing for end. moving the hanger and creating a custom fore end will add significantly to the amount of labor involved.

Consider something other than the Stoeger for your build. This is a "buy it/ build it once" type of project because of the tax and low resale interest for these guns. A higher quality host gun will give you more satisfaction throughout the time you will own it. The CZ guns are a good place to start.

LoudasFawk
Silent Operator

Post by LoudasFawk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:30 pm

I have a 8" Stoeger Coach in the works. From what I've seen 8" is going to be the shortest you can go while still using the stock forend. While I don't disagree with the "buy once, cry once" deal, I had no problem using the Stoeger for my build. Many people I've spoken to that have gone the same route, and have yet to regret their decision (especially for what is for all intents and purposes a novelty gun). YMMV

eeeninja

Post by eeeninja » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:49 pm

LoudasFawk wrote:Many people I've spoken to that have gone the same route, and have yet to regret their decision (especially for what is for all intents and purposes a novelty gun). YMMV

Well exactly, I mean for all real purposes the gun is basically useless for anything but having a little fun with, blowing some holes in some pumpkins, or pretending I'm mad max.

The Stoegers seemed to be a good "value" build. I did look at the CZ's and their street prices don't seem too bad either. I'd prefer not to spend more than about $500-600 on the host gun either new or used. Personally I'd feel bad about cutting up anything too nice. The O/U idea kind of stuck out to me as I typically don't see to many of those and it seems even fewer are SBS.

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 pm

If you see plastic, you might have cut the barrels too short.

I've thought about the O/U idea. It would be for S&Gs too. If i ever get around to doing it, I want 2.5" barrel beyond the shell length.

I would keep it for a carjacking event. I've had 2 of them so #3 isn't so unbelievable. :) Actually #2 was an attempted abduction by two convicted felons who were known for killing the abductees. Scary stuff.
Last edited by strobro32 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.

chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:02 pm

strobro32 wrote:If you see plastic, you might have cut the barrels too short.

I've thought about the O/U idea. It would be for S&Gs too. If i ever get around to doing it, I want 2.5" barrel beyond the shell length.

I would keep it for a carjacking event. I've had 2 of them so #3 isn't so unbelievable. :) Actually #2 was an attempted abduction by two convicted felons who were know for killing the abductees. Scary stuff.
an ankle holster works great. So does sewing a holster right next to your belt buckle
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]

Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:19 pm

strobro32 wrote:... a carjacking event. I've had 2 of them so #3 isn't so unbelievable. :) Actually #2 was an attempted abduction by two convicted felons who were know for killing the abductees. Scary stuff.
WTH dude? Where do you live that you've had 2 attempted carjackings?
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Both times were in Denton, TX.

Good news, the felons eventually picked the wrong guy. God bless CC and God bless the nation of TX.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.

J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:02 am

I cut my Stoger down to 11.5". I wanted to get as close to the Roadwarrior gun as I could. If it were not for that, I think 8" would be perfect. I may do another one at 8 just for the hell of it. The Stoger is a very strong gun. I have been shooting one for small game for the last 16 years You won't go wrong with that choice.

Libertarian_Geek... FU and your avatar. :wink:

Jk
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com

eeeninja

Post by eeeninja » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:32 am

J Krammes wrote:I cut my Stoger down to 11.5". I wanted to get as close to the Roadwarrior gun as I could. If it were not for that, I think 8" would be perfect. I may do another one at 8 just for the hell of it. The Stoger is a very strong gun. I have been shooting one for small game for the last 16 years You won't go wrong with that choice.

Libertarian_Geek... FU and your avatar. :wink:

Jk

Any chance you have a comparison picture of the two of them next two each other?

Thanks for all the input!

J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:58 am

Sorry, no. Here is mine. The barrels stick .5 past the forend. I shaved the sides of the forend to a splinter style, but the length is stock. It is laying on an IDPA target. I think it is 18" over all. If you go to 8" you have to cut the forend just past the lock up for the forend. Be sure to check the measurement on the forend BEFORE you cut the barrels. The lock up for the forend goes past the hook on the barrel.

Jk

Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:00 am

J Krammes wrote: Libertarian_Geek... FU and your avatar. :wink:

Jk
:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights

eeeninja

Post by eeeninja » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:34 am

J Krammes wrote:Sorry, no. Here is mine. The barrels stick .5 past the forend. I shaved the sides of the forend to a splinter style, but the length is stock. It is laying on an IDPA target. I think it is 18" over all. If you go to 8" you have to cut the forend just past the lock up for the forend. Be sure to check the measurement on the forend BEFORE you cut the barrels. The lock up for the forend goes past the hook on the barrel.

Jk
Ahh I get it, misread your other post, too early in the morning for me.

I don't mind doing a little custom wood working, for me that will be the easy part. Leaving space for the forend lock up shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm still searching locally for a good/fun host to use. I'm kind of on the lookout for a SxS that isn't hammerless, that would be pretty unique I think.

J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:06 pm

I lucked out. I got mine for $75.00. It had a damaged barrel. If you have any questions when the time comes, you can PM me or e-mail me if you want.

Jk