NFA TRUST Turnaround time

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jcsparky
Silent Operator

NFA TRUST Turnaround time

Post by jcsparky »

SO is there any difference in the BATFE turnaround from a Trust viewpoint.?
Is it quicker ?
Check cashed in a week..
now?
HALO, G5, OBIID, SF762K, AACSDN6
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: NFA TRUST Turnaround time

Post by Bendersquint »

jcsparky wrote:SO is there any difference in the BATFE turnaround from a Trust viewpoint.?
Is it quicker ?
Check cashed in a week..
now?
It CAN be quicker depending on the examiner as you bypass the fingerprint portion of the transfer.

That said I have seen individual forms get approved LONG before a trust/corp.

Depends on the examiner, their workload, mood, intestinal stability etc.....

BTW, all the checks cash in a week, they are cashed then sent to WV for the examiners to do their part.

-B
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

This is my Second go around.
First one was just a single form 4.
However the CLEO's decided to charge $150 for their signatue plus the $200 stamp..

SO this time I had a trust drawn up and sent (4) form 4's.
I don't remember being too long last year, but I forget sometimes too.

So yes, No fingerprints and no CLEO signoff.. (-$150) thank you very much.. LOL :mrgreen:

Last I heard was 3-4 months.. so won't make Christmas :cry:

Thanks BenderSquint.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jcsparky wrote:This is my Second go around.
First one was just a single form 4.
However the CLEO's decided to charge $150 for their signatue plus the $200 stamp..

SO this time I had a trust drawn up and sent (4) form 4's.
I don't remember being too long last year, but I forget sometimes too.

So yes, No fingerprints and no CLEO signoff.. (-$150) thank you very much.. LOL :mrgreen:

Last I heard was 3-4 months.. so won't make Christmas :cry:

Thanks BenderSquint.
I just had a Form3 take over 3 months to get approved and a customer took 5 months door to door with a trust, another customer took 2 months door to door with a trust, same examiner.

No real way to tell when it will get approved though history has taught me when a form is put in near Christmas and right after tax time it takes longer as more people are doing it.

Keep us posted.

-B
2Munkeez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 2Munkeez »

Wow! Two things, in this thread really shocked me. (1) a Sheriff charging to sign a form?!?! Whiskey tango foxtrot over. His 90G+ salary doesn't include him writing? Wow! (2) someone had a form 4 go door to door in two months?!?! That's awesome, it gives me hope lol. I ordered a silencer and it was transferee to my dealer in apx 6weeks, but that was a 3. I never guessed a 4 could go that quick. Hopefully mine is one of these miracles.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

2Munkeez wrote:Wow! Two things, in this thread really shocked me. (1) a Sheriff charging to sign a form?!?! Whiskey tango foxtrot over. His 90G+ salary doesn't include him writing? Wow! (2) someone had a form 4 go door to door in two months?!?! That's awesome, it gives me hope lol. I ordered a silencer and it was transferee to my dealer in apx 6weeks, but that was a 3. I never guessed a 4 could go that quick. Hopefully mine is one of these miracles.
It has nothing to do with his salary, its 2 different things. There is a Sheriff in the Southwest that charges a flat fee of $50 per individual that they have to run the checks for because of the personnel time required. Its a service fee, it sure as heck doesn't go into his pocket if it did it could be construed as a bribe.

There have been form4's in the past that were approved in 30 days, and some that have been approved in 14 months(ask me how i know!)

i just had a Form3 transfer in about 3 months!

-B
2Munkeez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 2Munkeez »

Well, we disagree. I feel it has everything to do with his salary. I know its not going into his pocket, but the "service" is one that he alone is providing (no added equipment expenses) and his time is already paid for in full.

Countless times I have been up at the police station, a civie will walk in and say they need prints taken. If I'm not busy, I roll em and tell them to forget about the "fee". The way I see it, they already paid for the service when they paid their taxes.
Bendersquint wrote:
2Munkeez wrote:Wow! Two things, in this thread really shocked me. (1) a Sheriff charging to sign a form?!?! Whiskey tango foxtrot over. His 90G+ salary doesn't include him writing? Wow! (2) someone had a form 4 go door to door in two months?!?! That's awesome, it gives me hope lol. I ordered a silencer and it was transferee to my dealer in apx 6weeks, but that was a 3. I never guessed a 4 could go that quick. Hopefully mine is one of these miracles.
It has nothing to do with his salary, its 2 different things. There is a Sheriff in the Southwest that charges a flat fee of $50 per individual that they have to run the checks for because of the personnel time required. Its a service fee, it sure as heck doesn't go into his pocket if it did it could be construed as a bribe.

There have been form4's in the past that were approved in 30 days, and some that have been approved in 14 months(ask me how i know!)

i just had a Form3 transfer in about 3 months!

-B
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

2Munkeez wrote:Well, we disagree. I feel it has everything to do with his salary. I know its not going into his pocket, but the "service" is one that he alone is providing (no added equipment expenses) and his time is already paid for in full.

Countless times I have been up at the police station, a civie will walk in and say they need prints taken. If I'm not busy, I roll em and tell them to forget about the "fee". The way I see it, they already paid for the service when they paid their taxes.
Thats your department and thats cool that you do that.

I know several departments that ONLY sign because its a revenue generator. If they didn't charge they wouldn't do it.

I know our local department charges 10 for up to 5 cards. But then again they just purchased a new digital fingerprinter so I guess that justifies it?

Most Sheriff's only scribble their signature on it and someone else does the research.

-B
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

2Munkeez wrote:... If I'm not busy, I roll em and tell them to forget about the "fee". ...
I confused on a couple things.

Is it the policy of your department to charge a fee and you personally choose to waive the fee?

When you're busy do you charge the fee or did they just wasted a trip and have to come back later when it's more convenient for you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

doubloon wrote:
2Munkeez wrote:... If I'm not busy, I roll em and tell them to forget about the "fee". ...
I confused on a couple things.

Is it the policy of your department to charge a fee and you personally choose to waive the fee?

When you're busy do you charge the fee or did they just wasted a trip and have to come back later when it's more convenient for you?
Sounds like he overrules the Departments policy to charge based on his own personal beliefs about taxes.

I think its cool that he does that even though deep down it bothers me that he doesn't follow the rules and his Department does the same things most Departments do, charger for these SERVICES, just like running background checks etc...

-B
2Munkeez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 2Munkeez »

Yes, technically there is a fee. If I'm busy, it gets done by non sworn personnel and whether or not they charge the fee probably depends on how they feel about it. Truth is most of my department shares my spirit of service. But back to the signature - he is paid to be there and all you're asking him to do is read and sign a form. Seriously, nobodyelse sees a major problem with this?!?! He is a PUBLIC SERVANT. If he doesn't like serving you, he's in the wrong place not you because you expect him to be willing to write his name.

BTW I'm not with that agency, anymore, moved on about a month ago. But if there are any doubts as to my conduct - no, i don't follow ever policy or every order, but I haven't been written up in over 3 yr and have multiple commendations for going above and beyond what is expected :-)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

2Munkeez wrote:Yes, technically there is a fee. If I'm busy, it gets done by non sworn personnel and whether or not they charge the fee probably depends on how they feel about it. Truth is most of my department shares my spirit of service. But back to the signature - he is paid to be there and all you're asking him to do is read and sign a form. Seriously, nobodyelse sees a major problem with this?!?! He is a PUBLIC SERVANT. If he doesn't like serving you, he's in the wrong place not you because you expect him to be willing to write his name.
The Sheriff is paid to be there and he is. Its a service fee just like most FFL's I know charge a NICS check fee of $2 or $3 bucks to be added onto the tab. Its because they are placing he call, if it takes time its gonna cost you. Thats how it works. It expends the work force X amount of time.

If you are having a party and request a cop be there to do traffic control to help everyone leave you get a bill for their service. Even though they are on the job, you still get a bill for services rendered. Same exact situation.

The ATF are public servants as well yet we have to pay the transfer fee. Thats part of how they get a paycheck, same as the Sheriff.

Do I think the Sheriff should be charging $150? NO, thats ridiculous. But I don't see a problem with $10 for prints and $20 to run the background checks. Time is money and if time is expended money is lost therefore needs to be collected.

-B
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

Any one have new updates of any approvals?
I'm 3 months on a trust and 4 stamps.
My CLIII dealer says he hasnt seen anything in 60 days?
I was hoping to have it by Christmas but.. We shall see.
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

Iam going into the 5th month. This is my second purchase. The first took 4 months, the first went pending June 21 and was approved Oct. 25 !!!!!! Both items on a trust.
" The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second "
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

jcsparky wrote:Any one have new updates of any approvals?
I'm 3 months on a trust and 4 stamps.
My CLIII dealer says he hasnt seen anything in 60 days?
I was hoping to have it by Christmas but.. We shall see.
Hate to say it.....but at the rate the forms are being approved, U are probably looking late March or early April :(
" The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second "
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

I've been pending on a trust transfer since mid august. Will be happy if I get it in January. Five and Six months seems to be normal now.
47_MasoN_47
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 47_MasoN_47 »

For me there was no difference in time between individual and trust transfers.
Check out my YouTube channel below!
http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

I was at my l local dealer.. Lookin a my stuff, suppressors and SBS.
He told me he hasnt seen anything from the BATFE in 50-60 days..
He's ususlly busy with class 3 stuff.?
Anyone else have better news..

I'm sure I've got another 60 days at least for a suppressor i paid for in March. Hell it might b a year, or
close to it.. Let me double check..
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jcsparky wrote:I was at my l local dealer.. Lookin a my stuff, suppressors and SBS.

I'm sure I've got another 60 days at least for a suppressor i paid for in March. Hell it might b a year, or
Just saw one approved in 202 days!

-B
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

Bendersquint wrote:
jcsparky wrote:I was at my l local dealer.. Lookin a my stuff, suppressors and SBS.

Just saw one approved in 202 days!

-B
Ohhhh my :( :( :( :(
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

jcsparky wrote: However the CLEO's decided to charge $150 for their signature plus the $200 stamp..

WOW that is outrages.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

My last form 4 was put in the mail October 10th and I got the approved form back on December 8th. My dealer says mine seem to go through much faster then his other people. I am about to send in two form 1's I will see how long those take. Does anybody know if the person doing the checks runs them through if the trust in my case or person has other that have been across there desk? Also does anybody know if the time varies due to the location of the person submitting the form? Meaning are times different from state to state or region to region? I am way up here in Maine not allot of people here. I have had one visit from the ATF two very nice guys but it had nothing to do with NFA items it was because I had been on a buying spree of handguns multiple pistols at multiple shops and shows over a couple months. They showed up I thought it was for the pending form 4's I had but they had a list of handgun serial numbers and wanted to make sure I had them and was not a straw buyer. I invited them in opened the safes and said to have it it. The one guy just said no we just want to check these ( he held up the list ) he read off the pistols I got them out one at a time and showed him the serial number he checked about 8 of them and said thank you shook my hand as did his very quiet partner and said have a nice day. Very different then the horror stories you read about on the internet.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rogerme wrote:My last form 4 was put in the mail October 10th and I got the approved form back on December 8th. My dealer says mine seem to go through much faster then his other people. I am about to send in two form 1's I will see how long those take. Does anybody know if the person doing the checks runs them through if the trust in my case or person has other that have been across there desk? Also does anybody know if the time varies due to the location of the person submitting the form? Meaning are times different from state to state or region to region? I am way up here in Maine not allot of people here. I have had one visit from the ATF two very nice guys but it had nothing to do with NFA items it was because I had been on a buying spree of handguns multiple pistols at multiple shops and shows over a couple months. They showed up I thought it was for the pending form 4's I had but they had a list of handgun serial numbers and wanted to make sure I had them and was not a straw buyer. I invited them in opened the safes and said to have it it. The one guy just said no we just want to check these ( he held up the list ) he read off the pistols I got them out one at a time and showed him the serial number he checked about 8 of them and said thank you shook my hand as did his very quiet partner and said have a nice day. Very different then the horror stories you read about on the internet.
Each form is checked individually. You might get faster if you have another one thats pending already but they won't signoff because you had one recently, still gotta check all their boxes.

Years ago i sent 2 batches of Form1's in(2 each) and first batch came 3 weeks apart because though sent in at the same time they were dealt with separately. Second batch about a year later were approved same day. Apparently the first batch got separated at some point.

Each examiner is different based on what region they cover. The examiner that covers Advanced Armament and any other manufacturers in GA will take longer than the examiner that has say Wisconsin(just an example) or have no major manufacturers in their region of control.

So look at the chart, see where you are and look at what manufacturers are in your region, if there are none you may be quicker than those that do. I know years ago i was told by NFA branch that whenever GemTech submitted a flat rate box overfilled with Form2,3,4's that it slowed everything down.

Good to hear you had a good encounter with the ATF for their multiple handgun check. I have head horror stories.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Bendersquint wrote: Good to hear you had a good encounter with the ATF for their multiple handgun check. I have head horror stories.
I had head them all to but I thought they where both very polite and plain nice guys to boot. Though as I said the one that stood back was very quiet and only spoke a couple words the whole time they where there.

I live way up in Maine. The only company "close" as far as I know is YHM in Mass. There are several small 07/02's in Maine but hey do not do bulk.

The trust should go faster if for no other reason less paperwork involved.

I would love to see a fast track put in place. Like say a form 4 or 1 approved would be entered into the computer and any forms submitted for the next year say would juts be signed and sent back asap instead of doing it all over every time?

Personally I think if you have a form 1 or 4 that has been approved would act as "pass" and any other NFA items would simply require you to show your already approved form.

Better yet you buy a card for say 500 bucks and that covers all NFA items. Meaning buy the card and you can acquire any NFA item and juts put it on the card. For those of us whose NFA buying habits can be compared to crackheads would love to have this option. Because if you have one item and you went through the process why shoudl you need a stamp for each item? Why not a stamp or card for all the items you buy?

Clint Smith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rogerme wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: Good to hear you had a good encounter with the ATF for their multiple handgun check. I have head horror stories.
I had head them all to but I thought they where both very polite and plain nice guys to boot. Though as I said the one that stood back was very quiet and only spoke a couple words the whole time they where there.

I live way up in Maine. The only company "close" as far as I know is YHM in Mass. There are several small 07/02's in Maine but hey do not do bulk.

Your region includes, Colt, Stag, YHM, Smith and Wesson, Walther, Sig Sauer, and a couple other that I can't think of.... They do alot since your examiner is responsible for Form5 and .gov transfers as well. Thats a pretty bad region. :(

The trust should go faster if for no other reason less paperwork involved.

Thats proving not the be the case! Trusts are taking as long individuals recently.

I would love to see a fast track put in place. Like say a form 4 or 1 approved would be entered into the computer and any forms submitted for the next year say would juts be signed and sent back asap instead of doing it all over every time?

Personally I think if you have a form 1 or 4 that has been approved would act as "pass" and any other NFA items would simply require you to show your already approved form.

Will never happen since how do they know you didn't become a felon and not qualified int he meantime?

Better yet you buy a card for say 500 bucks and that covers all NFA items. Meaning buy the card and you can acquire any NFA item and juts put it on the card. For those of us whose NFA buying habits can be compared to crackheads would love to have this option. Because if you have one item and you went through the process why shoudl you need a stamp for each item? Why not a stamp or card for all the items you buy?

They do that they lose most of the control they retain over NFA shooters, it will never happen.

...in bold...