Is a Serbu useful for defen? Overall lenth of 590A1 14 inch?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Is a Serbu useful for defen? Overall lenth of 590A1 14 inch?

Post by Kip42 »

I am considering the purchase of either a Serbu shorty, a 3 shot tube Serbu shorty, or a Mossberg 590 14inch nfa shotgun. Does anyone have the measurement of the pistol grip 590 mossber nfa shotgun?

In what situations would a Serbu work? I am thinking for home defense or car defense. I would load a 3 inch magnum No. 4 buck shot for a ton of pellets...
raymond-
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Is a Serbu useful for defen? Overall lenth of 590A1 14 i

Post by raymond- »

SSS has great maneuverability (transitional pointability) but limited by its
short magazine capacity, notwithstanding tactical reloadability factor. so
you need to determine the likely environment you will be experiencing to
see if it is suitable. short shotguns are viable but under certain circumstances

the longer platforms will offer slightly larger capacity as well as a bit more
steadiness for intermediate range (shoulder fired).

p.s. (i lost a line of text when i moved from iphone to laptop) for the most part,
i'd *much* rather have my G30 than my SSS when in the car.
Last edited by raymond- on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raymond-
47º34'n 122º18'w
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Kip42 wrote:I am considering the purchase of either a Serbu shorty, a 3 shot tube Serbu shorty, or a Mossberg 590 14inch nfa shotgun. Does anyone have the measurement of the pistol grip 590 mossber nfa shotgun?

In what situations would a Serbu work? I am thinking for home defense or car defense. I would load a 3 inch magnum No. 4 buck shot for a ton of pellets...
I personally wouldn't use it for defensive purposes but maybe Zombie eradication. At a match I used it for a reactionary drill and it was inside a car, i will never use that again in that situation. Ears ringing, glass everywhere and massive concussion to boot.

Good car defense? Pistol with extra mags.

Good home defense? Short Barrel Shotgun at 14" and full mag.

-B
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

Agree with all previously posted.......I still want a Serbu! :twisted:

Just have this idea that when the zombies attack, you need a good 12ga pistol in a calf holster of some sort.......that or my daughter becomes a teenager with a boyfriend and I need to dehinge her door permanently while makin my point about selibacy to him. Haha
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

eazenutz33 wrote:Agree with all previously posted.......I still want a Serbu! :twisted:

Just have this idea that when the zombies attack, you need a good 12ga pistol in a calf holster of some sort.......that or my daughter becomes a teenager with a boyfriend and I need to dehinge her door permanently while makin my point about selibacy to him. Haha
Wasn't trying to talk you out of the SSS, I love mine jsut wouldn't ever consider it for defensive purposes but fireballs at night and to introduce range goers to AOW's? Absolutely.

-B
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

Bendersquint wrote:
eazenutz33 wrote:Agree with all previously posted.......I still want a Serbu! :twisted:

Wasn't trying to talk you out of the SSS, I love mine jsut wouldn't ever consider it for defensive purposes but fireballs at night and to introduce range goers to AOW's? Absolutely.

-B
I'm not the OP.....just agreeing...and also acknowledging that the SSS is 90% Novelty.....sweet friggin novelty!
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

eazenutz33 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

-B
I'm not the OP.....just agreeing...and also acknowledging that the SSS is 90% Novelty.....sweet friggin novelty!
Half of the fun is watching people roll their eyes when you take it out of its case and say "12 Gauge!"

-B
raymond-
Senior Silent Operator

Post by raymond- »

forget the case....when i draw it out of the thigh holster, it feels
like you're drawing a 12 ga Excaliber from the anvil. it's awesome! :D

(was sampling the Knoxx grip with slugs that day)
raymond-
47º34'n 122º18'w
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

I have the Safety Harbor version of the 3 shot Mossberg 500, same thing as the SSS. Fantastic range toy and novelty as noted.

If I only had a dollar for everyone who said I was going to get some prison man-love for having a 'sawed-off' shotgun!

I wouldn't attempt to use one in my house or car for all the same reasons already covered. I keep mine in the bug-out backpack.

I also own two Mossberg 590A1's. With the 14" barrel, it's a MUCH better choice for you intended uses.

Kip42 wrote:I would load a 3 inch magnum No. 4 buck shot for a ton of pellets...
In the SSS, you would only do that once! :shock:
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons