Paperwork before payment?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

YourCoWorker
Senior Silent Operator

Paperwork before payment?

Post by YourCoWorker »

I am lucky enough to live within an hour of Clyde Armory and I do a decent amount of business with them for a civilian. I've bought 5 NFA items from them over the past 3 years also. I've taken advantage of the layaway plan a couple times.

The process they employ is that once payment is received in full, then they give you the forms sans Andrew's signature. You complete all documents and return to him for his review and signature and he sends them on. Very good, no problems.

The last time I did a 50/50 layaway, I asked one of the guys if they could give me the paperwork to complete, sans the signature of course, so that I could complete everything at my leisure until the next month. The guy told me it was against the law. Is that right? I have no problem if it is company policy. Me filling out the paperwork without Andrew's signature and completing the Sheriff, pictures, fingerprints doesn't mean I own it or anything. No chance anyone would be able to rip them off by doing this.

I could print out the forms myself, get the serial number from the lay-away item and do it myself.

Any reason this would be illegal, or any reason for this company policy?

Heading up there today and was going to politely ask about this again...
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Re: Paperwork before payment?

Post by Wahnsinn »

I can't imagine it being against the law, who cares if payment has taken place, they could be giving it away for all anyone knows/cares. Now being against company policy, I could see that.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Its not against the law.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

It's not against the law. Several times I've printed out a Form 4, filled it out and taken it to my dealer for his signature.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I have never had a form #4 or form #1 with the front of the form completed ever given to my sheriff to sign.... ever.
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

Not illegal. I have my forms all filled out before I even go to my dealer (he's new to the game) He calls me with questions.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Nothing illegal about it even remotely. Alot of shops will say its illegal so you leave it alone.

I bet its company policy and if you don't like it try talking to the manager, if that chap is the manager then I have no suggestions.

Dumb policies are enforced if management wants them to be.

-B
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Just ask them what law you are supposedly violating.
LP
shutrbkr
Silent Operator

Post by shutrbkr »

Nothing against the law for sending in form 4 before item is paid for. I have a dealer that gives the form 4 the day the item is put on layaway. If the forms come back before it is paid off- better pay it off SOON. I have a MG that way right now. Another dealer will not release papers until item is paid in full, so I use the other one that makes myu life easier.
....Because I'm that damn good!
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

"Its against the law" = "Don't question my authoritah"

:o :lol:
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....