My M16 4-Way Selector Saga

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

robrob
Silent Operator

My M16 4-Way Selector Saga

Post by robrob »

M16 4-Way Selector Install
and everything you ever wanted to know about 3 and 4-way burst kits

Warning: You must have a BATFE Form 4 with tax stamp to legally own a machine gun. National Firearms Act (NFA) rules apply and you can do hard prison time for violating the law.

I own a National Firearms Act registered M16 and wanted to install a 4-way selector (SAFE, SEMI, 3-round BURST, full AUTO). The 3-round burst comes in handy when running a high cyclic rate upper such as 22LR or 9mm. I couldn't find any info on the web about the 4-way kits and it took me forever to track down someone that sold the kit. I finally found Specialized Armament that sells a Colt 4-Way Lower Parts Kit and the individual parts. After seeing the $295 price of the 4-way lower parts kit I understood why there's so little info out there--very few people are willing to spend this kind of money for a 4-way fire control group. Other M16 owners have expressed concern with the added complexity of the 4-way system and its effect on reliability. The trigger pull on a 4-way fire control group is also slightly heavier in SEMI & AUTO due to the extra disconnector spring which is compressed during the trigger pull.

If you already have a 3-way burst kit you can convert it to a 4-way by installing the four 4-way specific parts: Auto Sear, both Disconnectors and the Selector for $145.

If you are interested in installing this kit in a semi-auto AR-15 it is not only illegal but impossible due to the differences in the fire control group wells--there is no room for the auto sear.

The Colt 4-Way Selector, Note the filed selector stops

How the 4-Way Selector Works

The Colt 4-way selector has SAFE and SEMI in the standard positions, 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock respectively. BURST is at the 3 o'clock position and AUTO is at 6. For the SAFE position the 4-way selector works the same as all AR-15s, the selector cam contacts the trigger and prevents it from moving.

In SEMI the selector cam rotates the auto sear away from the hammer so it will not capture it. The selector cam also contacts the burst (right) disconnector's tail locking it out. This prevents movement of the burst cam and reduces the likelihood of getting a less than 3-round burst with the first burst trigger pull. This is different from the 3-way burst fire control group where the burst disconnector is always free to ratchet the burst cam, even when firing semi-auto. The semi-auto disconnector is free to move with the trigger so it can capture the hammer and end the firing sequence if the trigger remains to the rear. Note that during a SEMI trigger pull you have to overcome the tension of the burst disconnector spring which adds to the trigger pull. This is different from the 3-way burst fire control group where the burst disconnector is never locked out.

When BURST is selected the selector cam rotates the auto sear into position to capture the hammer. The selector cam also contacts the semi-auto (left) disconnector and locks it out. The burst (right) disconnector is free to move with the trigger and ratchets the burst cam 1/6 of a turn each time the hammer goes forward. Every 3/6 of a turn (3 shots) a low spot on the cam allows the burst disconnector to move forward and capture the hammer if the trigger remains to the rear.

Note: The first trigger pull when BURST is selected may fire 1, 2 or 3 shots depending upon the starting position of the burst cam, but all subsequent trigger pulls will fire 3 rounds if the trigger is held to the rear. Also, if you release the trigger quickly it is possible to fire less than 3 rounds. If you do fire less than 3 rounds the next trigger pull will complete the 3 round burst. For example, if you pull the trigger quickly and fire only 1 round, the next trigger pull will fire no more than 2 rounds.

Colt 3-Way Burst Disconnectors on Left, Colt 4-Way on Right

In full AUTO the selector cam rotates the auto sear into position to capture the hammer. The selector cam also contacts both disconnector tails locking them out which prevents them from capturing the hammer so the rifle will continue to fire while the trigger is pulled to the rear. The already heavy AUTO trigger pull is even heavier because both disconnector springs are compressed during the trigger pull.

The M16A2 uses a burst 3-way selector with SAFE, SEMI, and BURST positions. It differs from the 4-way kit in three ways. A 3-way burst kit uses a standard full auto selector so it has no 4th position, the burst disconnector has no "tail" to ride the selector cam (so the burst disconnector is always free to ratchet the burst cam and engage the hammer) and the auto sear is slightly different--the 4-way auto sear has a thin, curved selector cam follower. You can convert an M16A2 to normal full-auto mode by following the instructions in the next section.
-------------------------------------------

Convert 3-Round Burst to Standard Full-Auto

You can convert a burst 3-way selector (SAFE, SEMI, and BURST) to a normal full-auto selector (SAFE, SEMI, AUTO) by simply grinding off the burst disconnector's hammer engagement hook.

Burst Disconnector Hammer Hook

The BURST position will then function as full-auto because the burst disconnector will never capture the hammer and the rifle will fire as long as the trigger is held to the rear. The SEMI function is not affected by this modification. I recommend you purchase a replacement burst disconnector for the modification and leave your original burst disconnector alone so you can switch back to 3-round burst. Specialized Armament sells the 3-way burst disconnector.

Installing the 4-Way Fire Control Group

Removing the Selector Stops

I knew the standard M16 selector stops were a problem because they prevent the selector from traveling to the 6 o'clock position which is required to get to AUTO, the 4th selector position. I saw pictures on the web of the DPMS 4-way kit that does not require the removal of the selector stops. It comes with an optional label that fits under the selector knob. The selector lever is raised to clear the selector stops. The kit is only $150 shipped from DSK Armory. DSK requires you fax or email a copy of your M16 BATF Form 4 to purchase the 4-way kit. Note the DPMS selector positions are different than the Colt's.

You can convert a DPMS 4-Way Kit to a flush fitting Colt style by swapping out the extended DPMS 4-way selector for a Colt 4-way selector ($45). The Colt 4-way auto sear ($35) is required too.

DPMS 4-Way Kit with Raised Selector Lever to Clear Selector Stops

The Colt 4-way kit requires the removal of at least one of the selector stops. Luckily I have a milling machine in the shop so I carefully milled off both stops using a 1/2 inch end mill. The end mill left perfectly smooth, shiny ovals where the selector stops were removed. My M16 lower is in mediocre shape and I plan to have it refinished anyway. I used some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to temporarily cover the bare metal where the selector stops were.

Assembling the 4-Way Fire Control Group

Start by assembling the trigger group. The silver disconnector spring goes on the right side of the trigger, the black disconnector spring goes on the left. The double hook disconnector goes on the right side of the trigger, the single hook goes on the left. You can cut a spare trigger pin in half to make an assembly pin to hold the trigger and disconnectors together during assembly. This makes it much easier to drive the trigger pin through the trigger and disconnectors. As you drive the trigger pin in during assembly the half-pin will be driven out the other side of the receiver. Install a standard trigger spring.

Next assemble the hammer group. Put the burst cam spring inside the burst cam. The spring extension goes into the slot in the burst cam. The spring extension goes in first so it will fit deep into the burst cam slot. Install the burst cam and spring onto the right side of the hammer. Make sure the cam spring is fully seated at least flush with the cam. The ridge on the burst cam goes outward. With the cam installed install the hammer spring.

Burst Kit Assembly Instructions

1 Auto Sear Assembly (4-way specific) [diagram above shows 3-way burst auto sear]
2 Burst Cam (burst specific)
3 Burst Cam Spring (burst specific)
4 Burst Disconnector (right, 4-way specific) [diagram above shows 3-way burst disconnector]
5 Semi-Auto Disconnector (left, 4-way specific)
6 Burst Disconnector Spring (right, silver, burst specific)
7 Semi-Auto Disconnector Spring (left, black, burst specific)
8 Hammer (burst specific)
9 Hammer & Trigger Pins (standard)
10 Hammer Spring (burst specific)
12 Auto Sear Pin (standard 1/8" pin)
14 Trigger (burst specific) [the Colt trigger had to be modified to function with a 4-way selector, see text below]
15 Trigger Spring (standard)
16 Selector (not shown, 4-way specific)

Note that only 4 parts are different from a 3-way burst kit: Auto Sear, both Disconnectors and the Selector

Installing the 4-Way Fire Control Group Assemblies

The 4-way trigger is a little more difficult to install because the trigger pin has to get through two disconnectors. Using a short assembly pin (1/2 of a trigger pin) to hold the trigger and disconnectors together will make the install easy. If you don't use an assembly pin insert a punch through one of the lower receiver's trigger holes and through the trigger assembly to hold everything in place while you fit the trigger pin in from the other side. Take your time and move the punch around while pushing the trigger pin and it will eventually slide through. Applying some downward pressure with a finger on the disconnectors will often help get the trigger pin through.

Put the selector in place. The burst disconnector's forward hook makes the hammer install a little more difficult. Use a thin punch to depress the rear of the burst disconnector to move the burst disconnector's cam follower to the rear to give you room to fit the hammer in front of it.

Install the auto sear using a standard 1/8 inch sear pin.

Ideally the only modification to an M16 lower receiver required to install this Colt 4-way selector kit is to remove one or both selector stops. Due to differences in manufacturer specifications your M16 may or may not need additional modifications. I installed the trigger assembly in my David Company M16 lower and found my first serious problem. A burst trigger is wider than a normal trigger to make room for the two disconnectors. My M16's trigger well wasn't wide enough to accommodate the extra wide trigger. It rubbed the right side of the well. I had to widen the trigger well by milling out a few hundredths using a 1/2 inch end mill.

When I installed the hammer I realized I had another problem. The burst cam on the right side of the hammer was jammed against the forward corner of the fire control group well. It was so tight the cam would not turn. I had to mill out the right front corner of the fire control group well to make room for the burst cam. A 3/8 inch end mill did the trick by making the corner a smaller radius.

I got all the parts installed and ran the function check and found problem # 3. I could not pull the trigger when AUTO was selected. After closely examining the trigger to selector interface I realized the selector cam had a small nub that was hitting the right side of the trigger. DSK Armory confirmed that about 25% of their stock had the defective selector. Colt has been informed of the milling defect.

Defective 4-Way Selector on Left, Correct Selector on Right
Image Image

If your 4-way selector is defective and has the nub you can replace it, mill off the nub, or simply remove some metal from the right side of the trigger where it meets the selector to allow the trigger to be pulled (see photo below). A grinding wheel did the trick in short order. The left side of the trigger was left unmolested because it contacts the selector in the SAFE position to lock the trigger.

4-Way Function Check Performed on the Lower Receiver (no upper in place)

SAFE Push the hammer back and down to the cocked position. The trigger sear should engage and hold the hammer. Place the selector lever on SAFE. Pull the trigger to the rear, the hammer should NOT fall.

SEMI Place the selector lever on SEMI. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. Don't allow the hammer to strike the forward edge of the fire control group well. Install a hammer block or carefully control the hammer's forward movement with your hand. While holding the trigger to the rear, push the hammer back and down to the cocked position. The semi-auto disconnector should capture the trigger. Release the trigger. You should see the hammer jump from the disconnector to the trigger sear as the trigger resets. Pull the trigger to the rear again. The hammer should fall.

BURST Push the hammer back and down to the cocked position. The trigger sear should engage and hold the hammer. Place the selector lever on BURST. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall.

While holding the trigger to the rear, cycle the hammer back and down. The burst disconnector or auto sear should capture the hammer. If the auto sear captures the hammer release it by hand. This simulates the bolt moving forward and releasing the auto sear. The hammer should fall. Repeat this up to 3 times until the burst disconnector captures the hammer.

With the hammer captured by the burst disconnector release the trigger. You should see the hammer jump from the burst disconnector to the auto sear. Release the auto sear by hand. The hammer should jump to the trigger sear. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, cycle the hammer back and down, the auto sear will capture the hammer so release it by hand and the burst disconnector should capture the hammer on the third cycle. This simulates firing the 3-round burst. Release the trigger. You should see the hammer jump from the burst disconnector to the auto sear. Release the auto sear by hand. The trigger should jump to the trigger sear as the trigger resets. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall.

AUTO Push the hammer back and down to the cocked position. The auto sear should capture the hammer. Release the auto sear by hand. This simulates the bolt moving forward and releasing the auto sear. The hammer should jump from the auto sear to the trigger sear. Place the selector lever on AUTO. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, cycle the hammer back and down, the auto sear should capture the hammer so release it by hand and the hammer should fall. Repeat this at least 4 times. This ensures the burst disconnector does not capture the hammer. Neither of the disconnectors should capture the hammer while the trigger is held to the rear. Push the hammer back and down to the cocked position. The auto sear should capture the hammer. Release the trigger. Release the auto sear by hand. The hammer should jump from the auto sear to the trigger sear as the trigger resets. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall.

After modifying the trigger the function check worked properly in all 4 positions. I haven't fired it with the 4-way kit yet but it should do fine since the function checks are perfect. After such a painful installation I understand why there's so few M16s with 4-way selectors but It's pretty cool to have semi-auto, 3-round burst and full-auto a thumb flick away. I hope this helps anyone that's been contemplating a 4-way fire control group.

Sourcing the Parts

The easy way is to order the complete (small pin) Colt 4-Way Lower Parts Kit from Specialized Armament for $275

http://www.specializedarmament.com/prod ... 1-279.html

The hard way, order just the 4-Way specific parts:

UPDATE: The inidvidual parts prices have gone crazy high so just buy the complete parts kit above

AUTOMATIC SEAR ASSY, 4-WAY (with spring & pin) Product ID : SP63712 $125.00 Old price was $35!

The rest of these prices are the old prices:
DISCONNECTOR, (0.155), 4-WAY, (LEFT/SEMI) Product ID : SP63716 $30.00
DISCONNECTOR SPRING, AUTO, SEMI, BURST, (LEFT/SEMI) - BLACK Product ID : SP63026 $2.00
DISCONNECTOR, (0.155), 4-WAY, (RIGHT/BURST) Product ID : SP63715 $35.00
DISCONNECTOR SPRING, BURST, (RIGHT/BURST) SILVER Product ID : SP64568 $2.00
HAMMER & HAMMER PIN RETAINER ASSY, (0.155), BURST & 4-WAY Product ID : SP64561 $68.50
HAMMER SPRING, BURST & 4-WAY Product ID : SP64558 $5.50
SELECTOR, 4-WAY Product ID : SP63714 $45.00
TRIGGER, (0.155), BURST & 4-WAY Product ID : SP64641 $53.00

Individual Parts Subtotal now way too high (just buy the complete 4-Way Lower Parts Kit above)

Here's the link to the individual parts: http://www.specializedarmament.com/cata ... s-4-0.html

Convert a 3-Way Burst Kit to 4-Way

If you already have a 3-way burst kit you can convert it to a 4-way by installing the four 4-way specific parts: Auto Sear, both Disconnectors and the Selector for $145.

AUTOMATIC SEAR ASSY, 4-WAY (with spring & pin) Product ID : SP63712 $35.00

DISCONNECTOR, (0.155), 4-WAY, (LEFT/SEMI) Product ID : SP63716 $30.00

DISCONNECTOR, (0.155), 4-WAY, (RIGHT/BURST) Product ID : SP63715 $35.00

SELECTOR, 4-WAY Product ID : SP63714 $45.00

Here's the link to the individual parts: http://www.specializedarmament.com/cata ... s-4-0.html

DPMS 4-Way Selector Kit

Available at http://DSKArmory.com for $150 shipped. DSK Armory will require a copy of your M16 BATF Form 4.

Warning: You must have a BATFE Form 4 with tax stamp to legally own a machine gun. National Firearms Act (NFA) rules apply and you can do hard prison time for violating the law.
Last edited by robrob on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:20 am, edited 46 times in total.
dmtsc
Silent But Deadly

Re: My M16 4-Way Selector Saga

Post by dmtsc »

You live anywhere near Bluefield? Curious because I have a 16 also and this is interesting.
AAC 762SD, EVO 9 ,PILOT. Gemtech M4-96D, OutbackII, Ops Inc 12th, Ops Inc 3rd Model, Multimount and 2 TBA Mk2 integrals. Ops Inc. M4-s, Gemtech Mk9-k on the way for MP5K, KAC MP5SD can coming also
robrob
Silent Operator

Post by robrob »

No, I'm in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

The other kit you spoke of is sold by DPMS for $100

http://s436.photobucket.com/albums/qq86 ... g&newest=1
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

David Hineline wrote:The other kit you spoke of is sold by DPMS for $100

http://s436.photobucket.com/albums/qq86 ... g&newest=1
Where are these sold? DPMS doesn't list them nor do they carry them anymore. Only thing they carry is the 4 position label plate.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Just curious, can you rotate the selector down one notch from Safe to Full Auto, or do you have to go all the way around to get to Full Auto?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

stevejobs wrote:Just curious, can you rotate the selector down one notch from Safe to Full Auto, or do you have to go all the way around to get to Full Auto?
Gotta go around the horn at least on the ones I have played with in the past.
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

I have a DPMS 4way kit. Works great in my HK416 with MK18 upper. You may need to use a slave pin to get the install right, and it's a pain to do without one, but take your time, and go slow. You'll see how it works and it should work well.

I use mine with 22lr quite frequently as it is a blast to do 3rnd Bursts in 22lr. The mag lasts so much longer.
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Goto DPMS website, click on online store, type 4 position into search box, arrive at this.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4508
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

David Hineline wrote:Goto DPMS website, click on online store, type 4 position into search box, arrive at this.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4508
Thats only the upgrade to the 4 position, its not the option to purchase the trigger kit.

Thats my goal as well to be able to blast 3 rd bursts of 9mm and 22lr.

Will keep on searching.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Just call DPMS once they realize you are legitimate qualified purchaser, there will not be a problem. LE/Govment only sales also includes LE/Govment dealers like ourselves.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

David Hineline wrote:Just call DPMS once they realize you are legitimate qualified purchaser, there will not be a problem. LE/Govment only sales also includes LE/Govment dealers like ourselves.
I already spoke with them about 6 months ago and they said they don't carry it anymore. They have had my SOT on file for years.

Will try again, maybe its changed in the last few months. Will let you know if they still have them.
robrob
Silent Operator

Post by robrob »

Just curious, can you rotate the selector down one notch from Safe to Full Auto, or do you have to go all the way around to get to Full Auto?
Yes, you can move the selector directly to Full Auto in one click from Safe and go completely around if you remove both selector stops.
jerad

Post by jerad »

stevejobs wrote:Just curious, can you rotate the selector down one notch from Safe to Full Auto, or do you have to go all the way around to get to Full Auto?
In the Colt system, such as the one pictured above, the selector rotates both directions. I've got one on my M16 and I love it, but I wouldn't own the DPMS as I don't care for its selector layout and the spacer. However, I run mine with an RDIAS but for those who use a RR the colt system would require you to file down the selector stops.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
robrob
Silent Operator

Post by robrob »

I added a 4-way function check section to the original post. I couldn't find an example of a 4-way check on the web so I wrote up detailed instructions.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Wow, just saw the price $295 for the 4 selector kit? Jeez, thats more than I have in the M16!

Do these ever come up used for a better price?
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

Bendersquint wrote:Wow, just saw the price $295 for the 4 selector kit? Jeez, thats more than I have in the M16!

I paid $250 for my DPMS kit. I didn't see them for years before that one popped up.

They rarely if ever come up for sale. I do see 3rnd burst kits frequently, but not the 4way kits.
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JC Weaponry wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Wow, just saw the price $295 for the 4 selector kit? Jeez, thats more than I have in the M16!

I paid $250 for my DPMS kit. I didn't see them for years before that one popped up.

They rarely if ever come up for sale. I do see 3rnd burst kits frequently, but not the 4way kits.
Yeah may have to settle for a burst kit, instead. The ability to have semi/burst/auto is still out of reach.... sigh.

Thanks for the response JC.
robrob
Silent Operator

Post by robrob »

The $295 is for a complete lower parts kit including the 4-way auto sear so you can subtract the price of a normal, full auto lower parts kit to see the true premium you'll pay for the 4-way option.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

robrob wrote:

The $295 is for a complete lower parts kit including the 4-way auto sear so you can subtract the price of a normal, full auto lower parts kit to see the true premium you'll pay for the 4-way option.
So $250 for the 4 way, will have to pass just build another M16 in burst for that price.
robrob
Silent Operator

Post by robrob »

Where are you getting an M16 lower parts kit including the auto sear for $45?

And how are you "building" an M16 for $250? Or should I ask?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

robrob wrote:Where are you getting an M16 lower parts kit including the auto sear for $45?

I am an 07/02 manufacturer and have a good source for parts kits.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Bendersquint wrote:
I guess so. Up here in Maine the only local place that sells m16 parts kits sells them for 599.00. Of course that store that sells them refuses to sell a M16 hammer as they are illegal to posses at all unless your a LE. Or so they told me LOL..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
robrob
Silent Operator

Post by robrob »

Bendersquint wrote:
robrob wrote:Where are you getting an M16 lower parts kit including the auto sear for $45?

Have you asked Specialized Armament for a manufacturer or wholesale discount?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

robrob wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Have you asked Specialized Armament for a manufacturer or wholesale discount?
I will give them a ring but I seriously doubt it will be enough of a discount to make it at all worth my while. Will report back.