Price check MAC 11A1

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dogtired
Silent Operator

Re: Price check MAC 11A1

Post by Dogtired »

Out of curiosity, are these as well received as the Lage uppers? What is the cost of this kit?
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Unless they've upped the price, the A1 version of the AMP-11 should be $750 + shipping. It's very, very similar to the Lage Max-31 (different animal than the Max-11). So comparing the Max-31 and the AMP-11A1, there's a pro/con to each one:

AMP-11A1
slightly larger than the Max-31 (I think it's rather negligible)
uses Suomi stick mags (36rd double feed, run about $15/ea)
also uses Suomi drums (71rd, about $25/ea)
also uses Suomi coffin mags (50rd single feed, bitch to load, expensive around $40-70/ea)
ROF is dependent on the ammo you use, so you can choose your ROF by sticking with a certain load (runs from ~700-900 depending on ammo)
has a 360 degree feed ramp, so you can use round nose, flat nose, hollow points, whatever you want (Max-11 has issues with flat nose and hollow points, as does the standard M11/9)
less expensive (believe it's still $750, doesn't come with a mag that I'm aware of)
At this point, there's a 7.62x25 conversion that may work on this one, but there is the option of more conversions down the road.

Max-31A
slightly smaller than the AMP-11A1 (again, I think negligible)
uses Suomi coffin mags (see above)
also uses Suomi drums (see above)
does not use Suomi stick mags
ROF is fairly dependent on the bolt you choose (standard is around 650rpm, tactical around 900)
more expensive (don't know the exact price, believe it's $895 and comes with 1 drum mag)
No caliber conversions mentioned thus far, but it's not completely out of the question.

Both companies have had great customer service, any issues that pop up they are quick to resolve. Both have some hefty backlogs now and again, so you may have to wait for either.

The Max-11 is a more compact setup, but you continue to use the same mags (typically fairly expensive) and the only real caliber conversion for it is 22. I'm on the list for the M-11/22 kit which will just go into a standard M11/9 upper (and stay there), no need to get the Max-11 to use it.

So at the time, my choice was really AMP-11 or Max-11 (31 wasn't even an option the wait was so long, plus it doesn't use stick mags so I didn't even consider it). Reason I went with the AMP-11 is the mags it uses (especially the stick mags), it was the same price as the Max-11, the size difference wasn't an issue for me for what I do with the gun, and it just looked cool 8)

Down the road I may pick up a Max-11, I dunno. I'll throw my stock upper back on there sometime and see how I do with that ROF, I think it might actually be ok, again for what I do. I don't shoot matches at this point, just hit the range and have some fun. I'm really looking forward to the 22 kit though. 22 in itself is just a fun caliber, so easy to shoot (and cheap!), but it'll also get my wife to shoot the gun, that's pretty much all she'll shoot anymore.

And yes I know I've mentioned price in here several times, and yes I know if you're in the NFA game you shouldn't be worrying about price, but we're not just talking about a few bucks here, so it's something always on my radar (plus that's my job day in and day out, working with money, so I can't just ignore it :D).
SpiderTheWebGuy

Post by SpiderTheWebGuy »

This doesn't apply to the MAC 11, but is something interesting I've found for the MAC 10 when reading AllianceArmament's website...

...They will be offering a 12ga. mini-shell conversion for their MAC 10 uppers. :shock:

I inquired about these, and they plan on offering 10 to 30 round capacity magazines (the 30 rounders being drums). Can you imagine full-auto, 30-round mag-dumps of 12ga. shot?
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

Thanks for the great review. I will have more difficult choices to make because I doubt I will have one of each! Need to start saving for the next gun...
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

Well the form 3 is done taking 1 month and I was just informed that my Max 11a1 9mm upper is ready for purchase. The wait continues.
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

Well it made it to the dealer:

Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Sweet, does the Max-11A1 offer different bolt speeds like the regular ones or only the slow speed?
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

I think the listed speed is 900 rpm.

Here is the web blurb:

This upper receiver is a 9mm version of the MAX-11A1 upper receiver descibed above. Uses inexpensive 9mm ammunition and reduces the rate of fire (ROF) from 1,800 RPM down to around 950 RPM. The MAX-11A1 attaches to the stock M-11A1 lower receiver without any modification to the lower receiver.

Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

Pending 6/19
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

Form 4 bounced back for multiple issues, none of which (except for form 3 variance) have been a problem in the past...
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

It appears Sheriff Rick XXX did not write "sheriff" after his name.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Nice, at least it's close.
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

I got the call today, the Stamp is in...
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Nice, enjoy! I actually just sold my M11/9 with all the stuff I had.
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

I thought I would post a pic of it decked out in Lage goodies. Really fun package now...

beanfield33

Post by beanfield33 »

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 pm
Dogtired wrote:Well I got impatient after missing a great deal on a m11/9 so bought a nib m11-a1 on a form 3. I will be plenty happy with a Max 11-a1 upper in 9mm. The 22 would be nice but.... Now the wait!
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:11 pm
Dogtired wrote:I got the call today, the Stamp is in...
Dooood...bought an m11/9 (form 3) in Feb. The form 3 took ~3 months. I *should* be getting my form 4 approved sometime in Feb, March, ????

Kinda freaked out with the DiFi AWB s--t. It specifically mentions no xfers. I know everyone says it won't apply to NFA registered items, but the actual legislation was just released today. In the off chance that there's language stating the "no xfer" bit applies to existing NFA items...I'll have a couple thousand dollar MG that permanently resides at my dealer.

I know the odds of this thing passing are pretty slim (especially with the news that the Senate filibuster is mostly in tact), but i still can't help but worry.
SBR Fan

Post by SBR Fan »

I have a M11 A1 RPB 380. I paid $1500 two years ago. If doing it again I would look for a 9mm.
The person I bought mine from had another one for sale for the same price. Still had about mid year last year.
On the RPB there is no way to run a 9mm. The mag well is to small.
I am running a Lage 380 Upper. It runs fine Unsupressed. suppressed well it is still a work in progress.
Draw backs to the 380.
Ammo
Controllability
Sights are almost worthless.
Finding quality Mags
Some of the other manufactures of the M11 built crap products.

http://www.mac-11.net/catalog.htm

Plus side is that 1600 RPM is a hoot.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb0QtwikCcE

With the Lage Upper
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JvO4Bi1Av70
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

SBR Fan wrote:I have a M11 A1 RPB 380. I paid $1500 two years ago. If doing it again I would look for a 9mm.
The person I bought mine from had another one for sale for the same price. Still had about mid year last year.
On the RPB there is no way to run a 9mm. The mag well is to small.
I am running a Lage 380 Upper. It runs fine Unsupressed. suppressed well it is still a work in progress.
Draw backs to the 380.
Ammo
Controllability
Sights are almost worthless.
Finding quality Mags
Some of the other manufactures of the M11 built crap products.

http://www.mac-11.net/catalog.htm

Plus side is that 1600 RPM is a hoot.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb0QtwikCcE

With the Lage Upper
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JvO4Bi1Av70
What about the MAX31A 9mm suomi conversion , from my understanding it will fit the M11A1.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
SBR Fan

Post by SBR Fan »

Jt.kline19 wrote: What about the MAX31A 9mm suomi conversion , from my understanding it will fit the M11A1.
Not all the M11 A1 frames are the same. even with in the same manufacturer. The conversion uppers seem to have mixed reviews, but internet reviews as we know can be bogus. I don't know anyone who has run one.
Some one asked about running it suppressed and there was a comment about gas to the face. I have experienced this, but I am having problems getting it to run wide open suppressed.
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

Not all the M11 A1 frames are the same. even with in the same manufacturer. The conversion uppers seem to have mixed reviews, but internet reviews as we know can be bogus. I don't know anyone who has run one.

Well I just snapped on the Max31A upper on my SWD M11A1 upper and proceeded to run 3 drums through it and it worked flawlessly. The rate of fire was definitely noticably slower (650) than the Max11A1 9mm gun (900) and has that sound of the vintage MG's vs the buzz of the 1500 rpm base 380 gun.

The great part of this upper is the slimmer lines that moving the mag and barrel forward of the action. The rail seems to be standard AR height so all those goodies screw right on. The heavier weight and the slower rate of fire really makes for a controllable gun.

The bad part, it is really easy to burn ammo thru this thing, my arm is going to get tired running the progressive.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

SBR Fan wrote:
Jt.kline19 wrote: What about the MAX31A 9mm suomi conversion , from my understanding it will fit the M11A1.
I had a Max-31A1 for my 85 SWD M11A1. It was very nice and ran like a scalded dog open and suppressed. I was transforming it to the worlds first Max-31A1K PDW when it was stolen. I wish I had pics. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.