C&R License Quesntion

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

C&R License Quesntion

Post by Jack_Bauer »

I was thinking about getting my C&R license but do I have to be an FFL first? Second, how long does this process take once you've submitted the paper work?
"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: C&R License Quesntion

Post by Bendersquint »

Jack_Bauer wrote:I was thinking about getting my C&R license but do I have to be an FFL first? Second, how long does this process take once you've submitted the paper work?
No, you do not need an FFL first. The C&R is a collectors FFLs.

I have seen C&R's get approved anywhere from 3 to 9 months.
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

Do you get a visit from the ATF for inspections like FFL and Class III dealers?
"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Jack_Bauer wrote:Do you get a visit from the ATF for inspections like FFL and Class III dealers?
No and you get decent discounts at a bunch of online retailers.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jt526 wrote:
Jack_Bauer wrote:Do you get a visit from the ATF for inspections like FFL and Class III dealers?
No and you get decent discounts at a bunch of online retailers.
People have been inspected on renewals though....
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Post by ronin111 »

There is no initial interview but they can do random inspections where they will setup the meeting in advance. You have the option of having the inspection at your residence or their office.
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

What is the turnaround time once you submit the paper work?
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Post by ronin111 »

Jack_Bauer wrote:What is the turnaround time once you submit the paper work?
They used to try to keep it under 60 days but I'm not sure if that's still the case.
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

My c&r last year took between 14-16 weeks. It was worth it. I have more than payed for it in discounts.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Mine took a month to come back initially, and about 3 weeks to renew (back before this past Christmas).
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

If you have a C&R license are you subject to an anual ATF inspection of your books like a regular FFL or SOT dealer?
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Jack_Bauer wrote:If you have a C&R license are you subject to an anual ATF inspection of your books like a regular FFL or SOT dealer?
No, BUT you can be inspected at will. Its different from a dealer/manufacturer in that they will make an appointment to get it done and you can do it at your residence or at their office. Much friendlier than what a dealer/manufacturer can deal with.

I know C&R's that have had their license for decades and never inspected, and others that have been inspected like clockwork every single year.
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

No, BUT you can be inspected at will. Its different from a dealer/manufacturer in that they will make an appointment to get it done and you can do it at your residence or at their office. Much friendlier than what a dealer/manufacturer can deal with.

I know C&R's that have had their license for decades and never inspected, and others that have been inspected like clockwork every single year.
Do you think it is worth getting a C&R to do 1 transfer instead of 2?
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Jack_Bauer wrote:

Do you think it is worth getting a C&R to do 1 transfer instead of 2?
NO I do not think its worth it to shorten a 2 part transfer into a 1 part.

You can be inspected, not like they will raid your house, but remember if you get a C&R and its an LLC or Corp and it lapses then its another taxed transfer. So be smart about the C&R when you file for it.

I have a friend that has a C&R and a transferable under it and he didn't want to pay another transfer fee so he was forced to keep the C&R AND file the LLC every single year. He is paying the transfer fee so it will be in his name now so he can let the C&R sunset as well as dissolve the LLC. Not worth it.

Only benefit the C&R has for the ordinary Joe is the discounts retailers give because some consider the C&R a FFL and give dealer discounts.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Bendersquint wrote: One benefit the C&R has for the ordinary Joe is the discounts retailers give because some consider the C&R a FFL and give dealer discounts.
There, fixed it for you. The discounts are great, but it's pretty convenient to purchase old non-NFA firearms and have them sent straight to your door with no 4473 too. If you're any kind of collector it's the only way to go (unless you're an FFL).
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

OK there is only 2 benefits to a C&R, old old old guns and discounts.
parkerdude

Post by parkerdude »

Bendersquint wrote:OK there is only 2 benefits to a C&R, old old old guns and discounts.
Very much a NEWBY here, but I am interested in getting a silencer, and I live in Missouri. As I understand our state law, you must at least have an FFL, a C&R is an FFL. Pretty inexpensive too.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

parkerdude wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:OK there is only 2 benefits to a C&R, old old old guns and discounts.
Very much a NEWBY here, but I am interested in getting a silencer, and I live in Missouri. As I understand our state law, you must at least have an FFL, a C&R is an FFL. Pretty inexpensive too.
Missouri killed that law awhile ago, there is no need to have an FFL to acquire NFA in Missouri anymore.
crazy-mp
Silent Operator

Post by crazy-mp »

On July 8, 2011 MO Gov. Jay Nixon signed house bill 294, which did away with the FFL requirement for NFA ownership. As of the end of August 2011 you could have been buying suppressors.
- - - Show Me Guns - - -
------Lebanon MO------
PyroGuy

Post by PyroGuy »

I've been a C&R Holder since 1994, and have never had an inspection. That said, I DID get a call from the chief of police where I lived at the time I applied (Metro Detroit Suburb) saying that he didn't want "any more gun dealers in his town" I gently explained that it was not a license to deal, only to enhance your personal collection. He still didn't get it at the end of the call. CLEO knowledge runs the gamut, and he was not so bright
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

Wow, I have a C&R. Nobody told me about discounts. Where at?
I'm not a collector, at the time I needed it to get my silencers.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Brownells, MidWayUSA.
ChrisCO

Post by ChrisCO »

Grafs will also set you up a dealer account.
Chris
01FFL/03SOT
SilentPrecision.com
facebook.com/silentprecision
[email protected]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ChrisCO wrote:Grafs will also set you up a dealer account.
Forgot about them guys!
towerofpower93
Silent Operator

Post by towerofpower93 »

Tagged for future reference. Been thinking about getting a C&R since I finally seem to have settled in a state for the forseeable future.

Eric