9mm non-FA suggestions

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Wraith
Silent But Deadly

9mm non-FA suggestions

Post by Wraith »

Well I always seem to be looking for a project and I figured the next one would be a 9mm SBR of some sort. I can't afford a full auto at the moment so I figured a 9mm semi of some sort would be the way to go. I'm almost leaning towards a Vector UZI that I would SBR and get a suppressor for at some point. That would probably be the most cost effective. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

I'm with you.

Before i bought a MG mac, I had plans to 3 lug my SBR uzi.
NFAtalk.org
silentassets
Silent But Deadly

Post by silentassets »

I like the kel-tec sub2000. I own one and would like to form 1 SBR it and thread for suppressor but low on funds so will have to wait.
YHM Mite SS w/QD 4 sale $175 form 3 in Texas
You cant miss fast enough to make up for a hit.
RON PAUL 2012
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: 9mm non-FA suggestions

Post by chrismartin »

Wraith wrote:Well I always seem to be looking for a project and I figured the next one would be a 9mm SBR of some sort. I can't afford a full auto at the moment so I figured a 9mm semi of some sort would be the way to go. I'm almost leaning towards a Vector UZI that I would SBR and get a suppressor for at some point. That would probably be the most cost effective. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I would suggest a 9mm AR15 with Magpul CTR stock, MIAD grip, tango down front grip and rail covers and an EOTech sight :)

(For those other than Wraith, I just bought all of the above from him last week for my own 9mm Ar-15 SBR :) )

My personal wish list would be an MP5 or similar. I'll always want that style 9mm. I've never shot an UZI though.
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

What's not to like? It makes a great .45 subgun/carbine, too!
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Go with either the UZI or the AR. Both are well made and reliable with lots of goodies available.

I have a RRA 9mm, and it's my favorite AR right now due to ammo cost, and the ability to use in at an indoor range. It's a sweet shooter.

I have fired several UZIs, and what else can I say? It has a slight edge in reliabilty over the AR, although I have never had a non ammo related failure in mine. It is heavy as hell though.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

:shock: I was looking at an ad for a Vector Uzi 9mm SBR earlier today in the latest issue of Small Arms Review.

What would it take to get one of their SBR's in 45ACP? How hard would it be to get magazines or covert it to Grease Gun mags?
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

What would it take to get one of their SBR's in 45ACP?
.45 semi conversion kits (bolt and barrel) are sold by Vector. .45 FA kits are tougher -- barrels are readily available but bolts are hard to find. I'm sure Vector would cut down and recrown a 16" semi barrel for a small fee.
How hard would it be to get magazines
You don't want to use .45 Uzi magazines. There are only 10 and 16 round versions. The 16s are expensive and hard to find, the 10s only slightly less so.
or covert it to Grease Gun mags?
Several people have made grease gun conversion lowers. I have Vector's FA version on my Uzi and it works great. They also make a semi grease gun conversion.
Wraith
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm non-FA suggestions

Post by Wraith »

chrismartin wrote:
Wraith wrote:Well I always seem to be looking for a project and I figured the next one would be a 9mm SBR of some sort. I can't afford a full auto at the moment so I figured a 9mm semi of some sort would be the way to go. I'm almost leaning towards a Vector UZI that I would SBR and get a suppressor for at some point. That would probably be the most cost effective. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I would suggest a 9mm AR15 with Magpul CTR stock, MIAD grip, tango down front grip and rail covers and an EOTech sight :)

(For those other than Wraith, I just bought all of the above from him last week for my own 9mm Ar-15 SBR :) )

My personal wish list would be an MP5 or similar. I'll always want that style 9mm. I've never shot an UZI though.
Dude, not cool.... LOL. :lol: I had thought about that before I sold it all but the UZI seems to be the way to go for this. I don't have any guns with a 3-lug so if I got a can for my UZI it would be a dedicated can for the UZI alone. Something like the AWC M9K, Trident 9 or AAC Avenger. Anyone have any of those cans that they like?
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

Are you thinking to be always running a can. If so you will be back close to 16". You could consider a 16" integral upper like the LRM one. Someone could also permanently fix one on an uzi barrel for you.

Another neat sbr project would be a full size glock lower.
cruz24
Senior Silent Operator

makers?

Post by cruz24 »

Can anyone give me some names of makers for 9mm uppers for the AR? I would love to get one (9mm SBR) as well. Prices would be helpfull too.
thanks!
So long coffin stuffers!-Bender B. Rodriguez
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

We have the Strikers on our Uzi's. The three lug mount makes sense, over the Avenger or a dedicated Uzi can cause you can take the Striker and put it on another three lug barrel, as opposed to the Avenger which would be a pain to use on an AR or HK platform
I am VERY pleased with the AAC Striker 2
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: makers?

Post by chrismartin »

cruz24 wrote:Can anyone give me some names of makers for 9mm uppers for the AR? I would love to get one (9mm SBR) as well. Prices would be helpfull too.
thanks!
Rock River, CMMG, J&T Distributing and Model 1 all have SBR/Pistol 9mm uppers. If you want less than 10" or so, you'll have to build.

TROS 5.5" 3 Lug (Henry at Title2 or maybe direct from TROSUSA)
Hahn dedicated block (Rainier arms)
ADCO has 9mm RRA parts (bufers, bolts, stripped uppers, RRA complete uppers, etc.)

A little over $200 for the TROS barrel, $150-200 or so for the block, $150 for the bolt, $150 for a 9mm upper (It's just a standard upper with no 5.56 shell deflector or forward assist), $17 for the 9mm hammer, $25 for the 9mm buffer.
The rest are just standard AR parts.

It's VERY simple to put together an upper. 9mm AR's are blowback operated, so there is no gas tube to deal with or barrel nut to properly align and torque (at least once you get to the proper torque, no need for tweaking for tube alignment.)
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

If you want less than 10" or so, you'll have to build.
Model 1 sales, along with others carry 7.5" 9mm uppers. They use free float tubes instead of hand guards. I think this length would be ideal for a 3 lug suppressor.

When ever I get around to buying a 9mm can, I will have an SBR to use. However, my 16" 9mm is pretty quiet without one. I think I will try a can on my 16" just for shits and giggles. It will be unwieldy, but should be damn quiet.
cruz24
Senior Silent Operator

thanks

Post by cruz24 »

Thanks Chris...I will have to check all the makers out. I don't want anything less than 10" but if it would be cheaper to build I can go that route.
Thanks again
So long coffin stuffers!-Bender B. Rodriguez
mcmillanman5
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcmillanman5 »

I would go with the sbr uzi. My dad has a group industries with an AWC MK9 and it is sick quiet with TTI 158's. You should check out this video its not mine I just saw it and thought it was cool, sorry if you have already seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aax35iZsBU
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

I wish someone would get on the ball and make an upper in 7.62x25. Marty at Teppo Jutsu is supposed to have one in the works.
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

GaLEO wrote:I wish someone would get on the ball and make an upper in 7.62x25. Marty at Teppo Jutsu is supposed to have one in the works.
a few over at arf.com have working uppers in 7.62x25. I bought a bunch of pps mags just for the project. I still need a reamer though.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

interesting.......mmmmm, I might have to rejoin arf.com just for the info.
I think the 7.62x25 would be a neat little caliber in an AR platform, cheap as hell....fun to shoot
2ndchance
Silent Operator

MP5 SBR!

Post by 2ndchance »

Although I am a fan of the UZI, I am a personal fan of the MP5. Although, actually paying the $4000 pricetag for HK94 and SBR'ing it seemed a bit crazy.

So, I invested in a Special Weapons SW5-FS and SBR'd it. I have to so say... what a WISE investment.

I'm on the original barrel and I have fired well over 80K rounds. Although Special Weapons no longer make them for the civilian market, you can still find them made by his contracted MFGs.

Most recently, it's "Cohaire Arms". Prior to that, it was "Bobcat Weapons"

The current model is like the 6th generation. They were great then, now ever better with some very detailed refinements. Also... they're only around $1000. They also come with ambi navy-style grips.

The barrel extension (fake can) is pinned to a 3-lug barrel. When you SBR it, you can grind off the weld, and the extension pulls right off.

Here's a pic from BobcatWeapons web site.

===========
Tactical Inc TAC-65
AAC Striker-II, M4-2000. EVO-9
YHM-3300
Form1 22LR integrated (on Ruger MKII)
Form1 30cal integrated (on AR-300BLK)
D3LLC DEFCON 4SD, DEFCON 4SDK, DEFCON 45SD, DEFCON 2
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Re: MP5 SBR!

Post by Mtdew »

2ndchance wrote:Although Special Weapons no longer make them for the civilian market, you can still find them made by his contracted MFGs.
i'm sorry i just cant stop laughing after reading that
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Go with the AR platform if it's going to be semi-only. There are too many cool calibers, from .22LR to .50 BMG (not that you are going to SBR THAT) and fun goodies to attach to it. Flexible platform, it'll do it all.

I've got a FA Vector Uzi, and while it's an excellent gun, it's simply not as fun to shoot as the AR.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

The cost of an HK conversion is just too high. The clones all generally source from a company I don't want to support with my money. So, I am HK-less right now and shopping for an Uzi SBR.

An AR-15 SBR is in the works but, in pistol caliber firearms I really want a more compact firearm design. The 10.5 inch AR-15 upper by itself is about as long as a lot of the classic SMGs.
2ndchance
Silent Operator

Re: MP5 SBR!

Post by 2ndchance »

Mtdew wrote:
2ndchance wrote:Although Special Weapons no longer make them for the civilian market, you can still find them made by his contracted MFGs.
i'm sorry i just cant stop laughing after reading that
What's so funny? What did I say?
===========
Tactical Inc TAC-65
AAC Striker-II, M4-2000. EVO-9
YHM-3300
Form1 22LR integrated (on Ruger MKII)
Form1 30cal integrated (on AR-300BLK)
D3LLC DEFCON 4SD, DEFCON 4SDK, DEFCON 45SD, DEFCON 2
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

What's so funny? What did I say?
You said:
Although Special Weapons no longer make them for the civilian market, you can still find them made by his contracted MFGs.
Last I checked, a front company does not qualify as a "contracted MFG."