Newb 9mm SBR barrel length?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.
Bruins2011

Newb 9mm SBR barrel length?

Post by Bruins2011 »

In the process of buying a 9mm SBR from DDLES. Trying to decide on the barrel length. Its between 5" - 7.5". Im a big guy, big hands long arms. It will be suppressed. I'm a little worried that the 5' will be a little small. Is there any difference in accuracy in the 5" and 7.5" barrel at 100 yards?
Last edited by Bruins2011 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Re: Newb SBR barrel length?

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

9mm, 223, what caliber? I'm assuming 9mm, since DDLES has kick ass 9mm lowers.

Also, it's a myth that shorter barrels are less accurate.

Say it with me:
"It's a myth that shorter barrels are less accurate."

One more time for good measure:

Barrel length affects velocity. Choose the barrel length that best facilitates the velocities you want to achieve balanced by the "handiness" you want.

If you're talking .223, then the velocity out of a 5" barrel is going to be pretty pathetic, and you're going to be giving your blast baffle hell. If you're talking 9mm, then go 5" and enjoy.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Bruins2011

Post by Bruins2011 »

I fixed that ... its a 9mm. Does the 5" feel small to you?
Libertarian_Geek wrote:9mm, 223, what caliber? I'm assuming 9mm, since DDLES has kick ass 9mm lowers.

Say it with me:

Barrel length affects velocity. Choose the barrel length that best facilitates the velocities you want to achieve balanced by the "handiness" you want.

If you're talking .223, then the velocity out of a 5" barrel is going to be pretty pathetic, and you're going to be giving your blast baffle hell. If you're talking 9mm, then go 5" and enjoy.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bruins2011 wrote:I fixed that ... its a 9mm. Does the 5" feel small to you?
Libertarian_Geek wrote:9mm, 223, what caliber? I'm assuming 9mm, since DDLES has kick ass 9mm lowers.

Say it with me:

5" doesn't feel small to me at all, if you think about it you are talking about 2.5 inches.

If its that much a concern for barrel length, get a longer handguard or longer suppressor to make it longer overall.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Re: Newb 9mm SBR barrel length?

My 5" 9mm AR feels perfect with the can on it.

Try to explain what actual ergonomic problems you'd encounter with the concept of "too short". I think that once you think through it, you'll realize that it just gets really darn handy to have it short. It just may not be what you're used to, but that goes away with time.
Bruins2011

Post by Bruins2011 »

My main concern is grip space and sight radius. What rail is that and how long is it? What suppressor do you have on it?

Thanks for all the info! I'm leaning towards the 5"
Libertarian_Geek wrote:Image

Try to explain what actual ergonomic problems you'd encounter with the concept of "too short". I think that once you think through it, you'll realize that it just gets really darn handy to have it short. It just may not be what you're used to, but that goes away with time.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bruins2011 wrote:My main concern is grip space and sight radius. What rail is that and how long is it? What suppressor do you have on it?

Thanks for all the info! I'm leaning towards the 5"

Looks like a rifle length rail to me.
Bruins2011

Post by Bruins2011 »

I ended up picking the 5.25 inch barrel and 6.35 inch ddles hand rail with the kx3 flash suppressor. :D :D :D :D
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bruins2011 wrote:I ended up picking the 5.25 inch barrel and 6.35 inch ddles hand rail with the kx3 flash suppressor. :D :D :D :D
KX3 for a 9mm? :shock:

You were worried about length and you went with that short a handguard?
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

What rail do you have on there?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

@Tango: It's a Samson Evolution 11" rail. I wanted it to surround the SWR Trident and just leave enough room for me to remove it from the barrel. It gives me a good long sight radius too (and room for a future IR laser and eotech). It's real quiet. I can't wait to try it out on a hog or twelve.

I use tool-dip/plasti-dip on the bottoms of my converted uzi mags. It make them more comfy to slap home (and it's completely removable.)

@Bruno: To BS's point(or at least mine)... You do realize that the hole in the KX3 isn't large enough for a 9mm projectile to pass through, right? Did you drill it (and the "cone")?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:@Tango: It's a Samson Evolution 11" rail. I wanted it to surround the SWR Trident and just leave enough room for me to remove it from the barrel. It gives me a good long sight radius too (and room for a future IR laser and eotech). It's real quiet. I can't wait to try it out on a hog or twelve.

I use tool-dip/plasti-dip on the bottoms of my converted uzi mags. It make them more comfy to slap home (and it's completely removable.)

@Bruno: To BS's point(or at least mine)... You do realize that the hole in the KX3 isn't large enough for a 9mm projectile to pass through, right? Did you drill it (and the "cone")?
That was my point as well was that the KX3 is not suitable for a 9mm. In fact a KX3 that was bored out for 9mm was classified in one determination as a silencer since it created a chamber to collect gases more than the approved chamber from the BATFE.

Borer beware.
Bruins2011

Post by Bruins2011 »

The KX3 is coming from DDLES. They recommended as a safe way to shoot the SBR without a can on it.
Bendersquint wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:@Tango: It's a Samson Evolution 11" rail. I wanted it to surround the SWR Trident and just leave enough room for me to remove it from the barrel. It gives me a good long sight radius too (and room for a future IR laser and eotech). It's real quiet. I can't wait to try it out on a hog or twelve.

That was my point as well was that the KX3 is not suitable for a 9mm. In fact a KX3 that was bored out for 9mm was classified in one determination as a silencer since it created a chamber to collect gases more than the approved chamber from the BATFE.

Borer beware.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bruins2011 wrote:The KX3 is coming from DDLES. They recommended as a safe way to shoot the SBR without a can on it.
Bendersquint wrote:

Borer beware.
Are you talking abuot a 5.56mm now or still the topic of 9mm?
Bruins2011

Post by Bruins2011 »

Its the 9mm.... its an option on the upper.

Are you talking abuot a 5.56mm now or still the topic of 9mm?[/quote]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bruins2011 wrote:Its the 9mm.... its an option on the upper.

[/quote]

Not sure how they are legally boring open a KX3. The only 9mm KX3 I have seen was registered as a silencer.

Got a link?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Don't assume that the choices you can make on DDLES's order page are all valid combinations. They may fit, but may not work. Please understand what I mean here by "may not work". I mean catastrophically. As in, "may cause injury or death".

Give them a call if you have a doubt. It would be good to double check. I would hate to find out the hard way that the aperture is large enough for 9mm, but the internal cone isn't concentric enough, or has enough play for a strike (or worse, that the aperture is too small).

If it all works out, I'd love to hear about your results. Actually, either way, I'd love to hear about your results.
Bruins2011

Post by Bruins2011 »

I placed the order over the phone.....they recommended the set up!

Libertarian_Geek wrote:Don't assume that the choices you can make on DDLES's order page are all valid combinations. They may fit, but may not work. Please understand what I mean here by "may not work". I mean catastrophically. As in, "may cause injury or death".

Give them a call if you have a doubt. It would be good to double check. I would hate to find out the hard way that the aperture is large enough for 9mm, but the internal cone isn't concentric enough, or has enough play for a strike (or worse, that the aperture is too small).

If it all works out, I'd love to hear about your results. Actually, either way, I'd love to hear about your results.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Interesting.

I'd be cautious. Assuming that it works, I'm also curious to know if it will actually help to "throw" more of the sound away from the shooter for 9mm.

I'd use a real heavy buffer (Spike's pistol buffer) because your lower is going to take a beating already. With a pig on the end, it's going to increase back-pressure (like a can would).

Be safe and let us know how it works out. It should look kick-ass either way.
beanfield33

Post by beanfield33 »

Bendersquint wrote:

Not sure how they are legally boring open a KX3. The only 9mm KX3 I have seen was registered as a silencer.

Got a link?[/quote]

FWIW, someone in this thread claims a stock kx3 has a large enough bore for 9mm. http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b ... 26&page=49
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

:shock: I'm intrigued
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

beanfield33 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Got a link?
FWIW, someone in this thread claims a stock kx3 has a large enough bore for 9mm. http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b ... 26&page=49[/quote]

Mine must be really really old(its pre serial numbers) since the bore on it was .30"
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

I was wondering if you still have enough room between the Evolution Rail and Trident9 to mount one of the rail sections to the rail? It looks like there may not be enough room to fit the mounting bracket between the suppressor and the inside of the rail. If you could let me know id greatly appreciate it.

Also, great idea to use the Plasti-Dip on the bottom of the mags.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Flipz wrote:

I was wondering if you still have enough room between the Evolution Rail and Trident9 to mount one of the rail sections to the rail? It looks like there may not be enough room to fit the mounting bracket between the suppressor and the inside of the rail. If you could let me know id greatly appreciate it.
Your correct, there's not enough room to fit the backside of the mounting bracket where the can is. My flashlight rail is behind the can on the right (but I'm not happy with its position there). I'm considering having someone TIG weld a rail section up front left at 9 o'clock to remedy this.
Flipz wrote:Also, great idea to use the Plasti-Dip on the bottom of the mags.
Thanks. I also used it on a cheek rest for my RFB. Kydex + Neoprene + Tooldip.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Bendersquint wrote: Mine must be really really old(its pre serial numbers) since the bore on it was .30"
I have a few early Noveske KFH's and I just checked the bores, they measure .385"