a couple of questions about trusts

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

madbear
Senior Silent Operator

a couple of questions about trusts

Post by madbear »

i know this is not a law forum but thought some of you might have some info about this.
not asking for legal advise, just your thoughts.
i just got my trust papers & i put my grandson who is 3 as successor trustee. i noticed that there wasn't any language stating that he could only be in possession of the weapons untill he was old enough. i emailed the lawyer & asked about that. he said it was ok. does anybody know anything to the contrary? i just want to be sure before we purchase any nfa items.
the trust is set up as follows.
i am the "settlor & co-trustee" my son is a "co-trustee" & my grandson is the "successor trustee"
the second question is if we buy 1 sbr & 1 suppressor now & then in the future sign my sons girl friend as a co-trustee & buy another sbr after that will she still be able to take possesion & use of all of the items in the trust or just what we buy after she was added. if we deside in the future to add "x" to the trust then deside to eliminate, expell, kick out or however you phrase it "x" do we owe him anything other than what he has contributed to the trust?
thanks for any input
America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Claire Wolfe
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Re: a couple of questions about trusts

Post by rogerme »

My grandsons are both co trustees. One turned 4 on July 3rd the other turns 2 in October. Now here in Maine there is NO age limits on owning a firearm of any type on that you must be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL and 18 to buy a firearm form a FFL. They can buy from another person or be given whatever all legally.

The question you ask has to do with YOUR STATE law.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

madbear wrote: the trust is set up as follows.
i am the "settlor & co-trustee" my son is a "co-trustee" & my grandson is the "successor trustee"
the second question is if we buy 1 sbr & 1 suppressor now & then in the future sign my sons girl friend as a co-trustee & buy another sbr after that will she still be able to take possesion & use of all of the items in the trust or just what we buy after she was added. if we deside in the future to add "x" to the trust then deside to eliminate, expell, kick out or however you phrase it "x" do we owe him anything other than what he has contributed to the trust?
You're going to have to talk to the lawshark about that one.

My trust spells everything out very clearly ... mine is "all or nothing" in terms of who gets access to what.

Also my trust names me alone as the person who can make changes, and spells out how those changes are made, so if I ever want to give somebody the boot, it's a matter of drawing up a one-pager amendment and having it notarized and it's a done deal.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

rogerme wrote:My grandsons are both co trustees. One turned 4 on July 3rd the other turns 2 in October. Now here in Maine there is NO age limits on owning a firearm of any type on that you must be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL and 18 to buy a firearm form a FFL. They can buy from another person or be given whatever all legally.

The question you ask has to do with YOUR STATE law.

In Maine it's legal for a private seller to sell a hand gun to a 5 year old? Good to know.